tetsujin

Hey,

OK, various source list the Glaug armaments as follows:

large-bore impact cannon x 2

small-bore impact cannon x 2

long-range electron beam cannon x 1

small-bore anti-personnel laser cannon x 2

close-combat seeking missile x 6

Most of those are pretty easy to locate: impact cannons are in the forearms, the beam cannon is top-mounted, the anti-personnel stuff is mounted on the front of the pod... but where are the missiles? Are they the black circles on the sides of the pod? Are they supposed to be forward-facing openings? If not, if they fire sideways, then wouldn't they be right inside the cockpit with Kamjin?

Side note - I'm building my Imai Glaug tonight... I've been rejointing it with polycaps, and so far I'm really kicking ass. :) It remains to be seen whether I can get it done by tomorrow, though.

You're building a Glaug in one night? What's the rush?

IPMS model show tomorrow. I want to have something to show, so I'm building a Glaug. I have 9 hours left. I don't think it's gonna work out but I'm gonna keep going - I've gotten a lot done so far and it's been a while since I've been this productive on a model project.

Geez my latest project has taken weeks, so many steps, do something wait till it dries, do something else wait till it dries. Over and over again.

Post pics when it's all done and after you've had some sleep :D

It's the Imai, 1:100 scale. Stands maybe 7" tall. Around 3AM I'd gotten as far as assembling the pod (To simplify the painting process, I polycapped a lot of the joints so I could disassemble them/reassemble them any time - that means in order to assemble the pod I first had to polycap the shoulder joints, the hip block, and the beam cannon) and starting my attempt at polycapping/modularizing the legs: but with only 6-8 hours left at best I decided to call it off. I might have been able to finish the mechanical work by then, but the parts cleanup is another story - and I could have used all that time and more just on the paint job.

I've been tracking the time I've spent on this project: so far (pod assembled, cannon assembled, arms assembled, and joints replaced with polycaps at 3 points on each arm, and base of beam cannon, and hip block) it's taken around 11 hours of work time. I think that's unusually fast for me, making these kinds of mechanical changes. I guess I've gotten better at that stuff, plus I used Bondo to install the polycaps (I used to use styrene tube and super glue/talc mixture a lot - while SGT cures as fast as Bondo, it takes more time to prepare and in some ways is harder to use. Just burying the polycaps in Bondo was fast, easy, and effective - and unlike SGT there wasn't the danger of it gluing my joints together.)

I'm gonna aim for finishing it by next Saturday, in time for the CMC competition. Thanks for the support, I'll be sure to post images and such when it's done. I think now that I've given myself a bit more time for this project I'll want to spend more time on some of the detail issues with the kit - like the badly-molded panel lines on the engine housings or the oddly non-circular circles on certain areas of the legs and such. I'd like to refine the panel lines, too, but I'm awful at scribing, so I'm a bit wary about actually rescribing them.

Usually my projects take a long, long time, too. This project was an effort to do something quickly and efficiently, just get something done for a change, and yet somehow I wound up installing all those polycaps... They'll definitely help when it comes time to paint, though. But for the record, I started my Hasegawa Battroid in August, 2002, and it's still not done. (I considered it "done" one year ago, but then I discovered an inconsistency in the paintjob, so now I'm redoing the arms and legs, and possibly the head of that model...) Likewise I have a few Zakus that started a good two or three years ago and never got finished. The last project I really finished was my Guncannon, which I finished last July and just revised a bit since then.

Hey,

Most of those are pretty easy to locate: impact cannons are in the forearms, the beam cannon is top-mounted, the anti-personnel stuff is mounted on the front of the pod... but where are the missiles? Are they the black circles on the sides of the pod? Are they supposed to be forward-facing openings? If not, if they fire sideways, then wouldn't they be right inside the cockpit with Kamjin?

Side note - I'm building my Imai Glaug tonight... I've been rejointing it with polycaps, and so far I'm really kicking ass. :) It remains to be seen whether I can get it done by tomorrow, though.

looking at my glaugs I would suppose that they are the 3 black circles on either side of the cockpit. Kinda look like torpedo tube hatches. Only other place I could think would be the legs as there are three hatch type plates on the outside of each leg. There are also three hatch type plates on the inside of each leg so I'm thinking it's the black circles on either side of the cockpit.

Most of those are pretty easy to locate: impact cannons are in the forearms, the beam cannon is top-mounted, the anti-personnel stuff is mounted on the front of the pod...  but where are the missiles?

looking at my glaugs I would suppose that they are the 3 black circles on either side of the cockpit. Kinda look like torpedo tube hatches. Only other place I could think would be the legs as there are three hatch type plates on the outside of each leg. There are also three hatch type plates on the inside of each leg so I'm thinking it's the black circles on either side of the cockpit.

Yeah, I'm sort of thinking the same thing at this point. I had a few other ideas where the missiles could be, but I'm not liking most of them so much any more:

Circles on the front of the leg near the bottom: Seemed credible enough, but I think most of that area would be occupied by ankle mechanisms and the winch claws.

Circles on the front of the leg near the knee: Didn't seem too likely, since that would mean the missiles are stored within the knee joint area.

Circles at the front of the two engine pods: It seemed like a strong possibility, but there's actually not much space in there.

Internal stowage in the legs (that is, contained within some kind of door-enclosed missile bay) is one I hadn't thought of.

I looked through the Glaug pages in the Perfect Memory book today and, in the cockpit lineart, there are some sort of tubes extending back behind those openings, to the side of the seat and behind it. So probably I'm gonna assume that those are it. The fact that there are exactly six of them is a favorable indication, too. It's not as obvious as indication as I'd like (not like a bit in the lineart showing a missile in the tube or coming out of the opening) and it's also possible that those openings and the tubes that connect to them inside are something else. I guess there's probably no way to know, since the lineart doesn't seem to give an answer, and even if they'd shown the Glaug launching missiles in the anime (I don't remember if they did) there's a strong possibility they would have animated it wrong.

The main problem with having the missiles there, though, is that on those surfaces, circular openings wouldn't quite be forward-facing, or even close. The missiles would have to be fired out almost laterally. On the model kits those surfaces are actually built on a really awkward curve (at least for the Imai and Nichimo versions. I haven't seen the Arii in person.) Still, I'm trying to think about ways to handle all that without reshaping large areas of the pod. Working on the assumption that those are the missile tubes, I'd like to put something there that says "missile tube" rather than just "randomly inset black circle".

Thanks,

that's why I likened tham to torpedo tubes... as long as it's circular... the end is just tapered to one side to account for the end point. Picture a gun barrel cut at a 45 degree slope at the end... the end is sloped but the bullet still goes straight. I wouldn't think it useful for a projectile but homing type weapons would work fine.

that's why I likened tham to torpedo tubes... as long as it's circular... the end is just tapered to one side to account for the end point. Picture a gun barrel cut at a 45 degree slope at the end... the end is sloped but the bullet still goes straight. I wouldn't think it useful for a projectile but homing type weapons would work fine.

Right. Except if a cylinder is cut at an angle not perpendicular to its axis, then the opening will be an ellipse rather than a circle. However, the openings on the Glaug do appear circular. So whether that's a mistake, or whether those panels are supposed to face forward a bit more, or whether the missile tubes are angled out to the side farther than they appear in the lineart is pretty much subjective, I guess. Certainly there are side-firing missiles in Macross (Queadluun Rau comes to mind - and damn, I love how they always drew Millia naked for the scale reference in the lineart) I'm just not convinced that's the case.

I guess the rule will be "whatever way I can find that doesn't require major alterations to the kit" will be the way the missile tubes go. :)

Yup, those are the missile ports. I compared the entry for the Glaug in Macross Perfect Memory (page 170) with the keyed model images referred to above. The only item in the entry which has a "X 6" next to it must be the missiles, and the same kanji and kana appear there as in the pointer to the black circles. The kana ミサイル transliterates as "misailu".

Also, if you look on the same page, there are a few interior cockpit drawings where you can see a pair of cylindrical structures which appear to lead to the ports. These probably house the uppermost two missiles; the third missile is probably too low to be visible in the drawings.

Yup, those are the missile ports. I compared the entry for the Glaug in Macross Perfect Memory (page 170) with the keyed model images referred to above. The only item in the entry which has a "X 6" next to it must be the missiles, and the same kanji and kana appear there as in the pointer to the black circles. The kana ミサイル transliterates as "misailu".

Ah, indeed. I never thought the answer would come from the model kit instructions, of all places. I could have avoided this whole debate here if I'd just read that page on my instruction book. I can read kana and everything. :)

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Well, I'm glad this topic was brought up, because I had no idea the Glaug had missiles, let alone where they're housed. I didn't have time to do any scans last night, but I found one of the cockpit images on the net.

glaugcockpit.jpg

The view is looking forward from the pilot's seat (or a little behind). The missile tubes are on the far right.

Interesting, seems a bad place to store missiles though, if the seals go bad you're seriously hosed if you are the pilot. Seems like the better place to put them would be the legs. But hey, it's the Zentran, and we know they don't but a whole lot of stock in their pilots.