High Definition Media & Technology Thread

If your TV is a fixed pixel display, than it is upscaling (or downscaling) the video signal to your display's native resolution. Occaisionally, the TV can do a better job of upscaling the player, especially the cheaper ones. Some of the higher end players and video processors can do an amazing job. The 360, unfortunately, doesn't do a very good job of upscaling or deinterlacing. The thing to keep in mind, is that upscaling cannot add information that doesn't exist. All an upscaling player (or the TV) can do is add artificial lines of resolution to the DVD. This makes it appear "sharper". The detail of the picture is still the same. It can't add information that doesn't exist. There are limits to what upscaling can do. Even with upscaling, the larger your TV, the worse the picture of a 720x480 DVD is going to look. A well mastered DVD being upscaled can look good, but it can never look as great as true HD video.

It can't add detail where detail isn't, but it sure as heck can make something that already looks good look better... but at the same time it makes something that is marginally bad look incredibly worse.

And the double edged sword of HD is that the more of it you see, the more nit-picky you become of everything that isn't HD. I'm noticing things that I probably never would have seen or cared about before, now those little things bug the hell out of me.

All in all I feel the prime "danger" with upconverting your old DVDs is that the picture stands just as good a chance to look worse than it does to look better due to issues with the print being magnified. This mostly has to do with many DVDs having prints that took advantage of the low resolution to hide problems or poor cleaning, which are made worse when the upconverter doubles or triples the size of that dirt speck or matte line. The DVDs I've mentioned are the ones in my personal collection that seem to suffer the most from upconversion, but it is almost entirely due to the quality of their material. As I've said, I own many other DVDs that look great when upconverted. The Indy set, My three star wars discs, etc. BUT it should be noted that those are heavily laundered and restored prints. So I guess the rule of thumb should be the older the DVD movie and the less it was "cleaned" or "restored" when mastered then the greater the chance that the picture will not improve and possibly deteriorate when upconverted.

That makes sense and jives with the recent talk of some HD movies being taken from masters for a DVD release. Is upscaling more hype than delivery? I know the OPPO players market themselves on being fantastic upscalers. My very limited experience with my xbox360 through vga, and with only the dvds I have, is that I can't really see any improvement.

That's the only thing I don't like about my HDTV experience so far is how it's educated me on what a crappy transfer is. I was blissfully ignorant before. :)

That makes sense and jives with the recent talk of some HD movies being taken from masters for a DVD release. Is upscaling more hype than delivery? I know the OPPO players market themselves on being fantastic upscalers. My very limited experience with my xbox360 through vga, and with only the dvds I have, is that I can't really see any improvement.

That's the only thing I don't like about my HDTV experience so far is how it's educated me on what a crappy transfer is. I was blissfully ignorant before. :)

An HDTV can be quite true to it's source, and unfortunatley, the truth can sometimes hurt.

Upscaling isn't necessarily hype. It can look very good. With the right player, it can be an improvement. I will definately say that the PS3 makes watching DVDs on a HDTV much less painful.

HD DVD Players For Under $200?

Internet rumors fly after a Wal-Mart employee posts evidence of $199 player for the holidays.

By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 18, 2007) -- An HD DVD player could be available for the new low price of $199 this holiday season.

Internet message boards are buzzing with the possibility after a Wal-Mart employee posted an upcoming store notice about a $199 Toshiba HD DVD player.

The price has not been confirmed by Wal-Mart or Toshiba, but the drop would not be surprising. Toshiba's entry-level player is now $299, but industry analysts have forecast that a sub-$200 player is likely for the holidays.

Additionally, Blu-ray manufacturers are expected to lower the price on its players. Sony's Blu-ray player is now the lowest with a suggested retail price of $499.

However, Sony announced today that it will launch a new Play Station 3 for $399 on November 2. The PS3 has a Blu-ray player inside.

Lower prices for both Blu-ray and HD DVD are expected as supporters of the two high-def disc formats battle it out during the holiday season.

Edited by Alpha OTS

BB is having a sweet deal on the HD DVD player for the xbox on sunday and going to pick it up (includes heroes season 1 on hd dvd)

Couple of questions.

My TV is a Samsung LCD 32" 720p, will it be a noticeable difference compared to DVD?

My TV supports both Component and VGA, which one will give me a better PQ thru the xbox360 for watching the hd dvds? or it is the same?

Which HD DVD right are the best in the sense that look the best?

Edited by Ladic

BB is having a sweet deal on the HD DVD player for the xbox on sunday and going to pick it up (includes heroes season 1 on hd dvd)

Couple of questions.

My TV is a Samsung LCD 32" 720p, will it be a noticeable difference compared to DVD?

My TV supports both Component and VGA, which one will give me a better PQ thru the xbox360 for watching the hd dvds? or it is the same?

Which HD DVD right are the best in the sense that look the best?

Since your TV is 32" with a max resolution of (I'd assume) 1280x720p, you probably will not notice a huge difference. This is especially true in comparison to upscaled DVD. It will probably look a little sharper and more colorful. You'll notice a much bigger difference on a larger 1080i/p set. I'd recommend getting a decent upscaling player and waiting until you can buy a better TV.

In regards to VGA vs. Component, this isn't an easy answer. It is dependant on your set. Many HDTVs treat the VGA input differently. Some settings are often disabled and the color space is usually different. VGA is technically better, but that may not be the right choice for your display. You could do some research to see what people that own the same HDTV as you have to say. I'd also recommend trying it out for yourself and compare the two with your own eyes.

You may want to check out THIS thread on the AVS Forum for the best looking HD DVDs.

I have a few concerns, if you guys don't mind. ^_^ (I'm having some difficulties with the AVS forums.)

I'm looking at 32" LCD HDTVs. I know that 1080p > 720p (and that 1080p is somewhat pointless at 32"); that 120Hz > 60Hz; shorter response time > longer response time. The only HDTV sets at 32" that have a 1080p native display are the Sharp Aquos sets. However, I don't believe they have a 120Hz refresh rate...meaning if I were to get one I would be dealing with the 2:3 pulldown bs...right? ...Well I am and have been aching to get a HDTV (you guys wouldn't believe how many times I've been just one click away from purchasing one) for some time now; I'd love to watch HD movies in all their glory and to play my 360 games w/o any lag. I've been checking this constantly to see what you all had to say in regards to HD, and I've been doing some research elsewhere...but I'm still unsure and I have questions lingering in my head. I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out further.

So my questions are...would I be better off buying a 720p 120Hz (8ms response I think) set, a 1080p 60Hz (6ms response) set, or would I be better off waiting for a 32" 1080p 120Hz HDTV? ...Would a 1080p/60 2:3 pulldown be noticeable compared to a 1080p/24 image at 32"? Should I even be concerned with 120Hz at 32"? Would getting a 120Hz set in anything other than 1080p be defeating the purpose of getting rid of picture degradation since there would still be downscaling? Maybe what I should be asking is if downscaling to 720p is better than the 2:3 pulldown at 1080p?

I guess when it boils right down to it...all I really want is to see the images as the creator intended them to be seen, w/o any degradation or loss of information. However...if I can't tell nor see the degradation/loss of information...then maybe I could make a few compromises...I just want to make sure I choose the right compromises. I don't have much experience with HDTVs...so I come to you guys in hopes of getting a clearer picture on all of this. I GREATLY appreciate any and all help!

Thanks!

I'm looking at a 32in LCD too. Forget about 120hz----Every post I've read said it's a weird, disturbing effect that'll mess you up. (Since it's not really 120hz at all---it's 60hz with "guesstimated" frames inserted in every-other-frame) If you get one with it, make sure you can disable it--someday real 120hz will come, but it's not out now.

I'm leaning towards the Sony 3000 series---either S3000 or M3000. (The XBR4 has issues, I think cloudiness) But those are 720p like most. Depending on the price for 1080's in the next few months, I might splurge for that---but I'm not paying double or anything. (nor will I wait another year for prices to drop---I'd like one for Xmas, but could wait until Feb/Mar or something if there's some big price drop or new model coming out)

I have the exact same requirements as you---HD movies, and 360 gaming. (my current TV isn't even hooked up to cable----it's PURELY for movies and gaming--mostly gaming) So 360 performance (lag, blur, ghosting, etc) is the main concern.

Honestly I'd like 30in if I could find one. 26 is just a LITTLE too small, but 32's actually "a little too big". But 32's almost always have better/nicer versions available than 26's. Sony's KDL 40S3000 looks great to me, but there's no way a 40in will fit. The 32S3000 is "very very close" but not quite as nice. But among the best 32's out there. Haven't seen a 32in 1080 in person yet, will have to check BestBuy again soon and see if they have any set up decently (and see how much they want for them)

I'm looking at a 32in LCD too. Forget about 120hz----Every post I've read said it's a weird, disturbing effect that'll mess you up. (Since it's not really 120hz at all---it's 60hz with "guesstimated" frames inserted in every-other-frame) If you get one with it, make sure you can disable it--someday real 120hz will come, but it's not out now.

I'm leaning towards the Sony 3000 series---either S3000 or M3000. (The XBR4 has issues, I think cloudiness) But those are 720p like most. Depending on the price for 1080's in the next few months, I might splurge for that---but I'm not paying double or anything. (nor will I wait another year for prices to drop---I'd like one for Xmas, but could wait until Feb/Mar or something if there's some big price drop or new model coming out)

I have the exact same requirements as you---HD movies, and 360 gaming. (my current TV isn't even hooked up to cable----it's PURELY for movies and gaming--mostly gaming) So 360 performance (lag, blur, ghosting, etc) is the main concern.

Honestly I'd like 30in if I could find one. 26 is just a LITTLE too small, but 32's actually "a little too big". But 32's almost always have better/nicer versions available than 26's. Sony's KDL 40S3000 looks great to me, but there's no way a 40in will fit. The 32S3000 is "very very close" but not quite as nice. But among the best 32's out there. Haven't seen a 32in 1080 in person yet, will have to check BestBuy again soon and see if they have any set up decently (and see how much they want for them)

Hmmm, so then there isn't a HDTV that doesn't have the 2:3 pulldown problem then? I thought the '120Hz' made 1080p/24 possible w/o the 2:3 pulldown, but if it isn't true 120Hz.... If that's the case, then I'll be leaning towards the Sharp Aquos LC32D62U or LC32GP1U 32" 1080p LCD HDTVs...seeing as how the 2:3 pulldown is still present regardless of the set. One can get the LC32D62U for about $1000 and the LC32GP1U for about $200 more...all from Amazon.com.

AVS has a lot of good information, if you can find it. Sorting through everything on there is quite difficult. This is especially true concerning the new HD formats. Some areas of the board are starting to lose the "Science" part of AVS, but I digress...

I have to admit, I'm not too terribly familiar with LCD HDTVs. I've never been interested in them. LCD displays usually don't have the best picture quality. At least in comparison to the better display technologies out there, IMHO.

120hz isn't too bad when it is being converted from a 24hz source. If the set cannot accept a 24hz signal, than 120hz is pointless. More often than not, viewing the film in it's native framerate (usually 24hz) will give the best results. Most video games consoles are designed to display around 30hz or 60hz (or 25hz or 50hz). There should not be any inverse telecine applied to the signal when playing games. 120hz could be bad for gaming since it not only performs some sort of IVTC, but also "adds" extra frames.

Also keep in mind the 360 will scale games to the maximum resolution of you set. This can often be different than the resolution at which the game render. Some games don't even render at standard HDTV resolutions. And if the 360 doesn't scale it, the TV will. This simple processing can add lag to the signal. In most cases, it's best to let the 360 do the scaling though.

Oihan, out of the three choices you have, I'd choose the 1080p60. If possible, I'd choose an HDTV that also displays a pure 1080p signal untouched at 24hz. Keep in mind that most HDTVs will be a comprimise for gaming. I hope I've been able to answer most of you questions. If you want to know anymore, feel free to ask.

I'm not much of an LCD fan either--but it's the only option for sub-40in screens.

Oihan---what's the difference between those two Sharp sets? If they're roughly a grand, that's a definite possibility. (I was hoping to spend 800 or so when Holiday sales occur, but I'll pay 200 bucks to go from 720 to 1080)

AVS has a lot of good information, if you can find it. Sorting through everything on there is quite difficult. This is especially true concerning the new HD formats. Some areas of the board are starting to lose the "Science" part of AVS, but I digress...

I have to admit, I'm not too terribly familiar with LCD HDTVs. I've never been interested in them. LCD displays usually don't have the best picture quality. At least in comparison to the better display technologies out there, IMHO.

120hz isn't too bad when it is being converted from a 24hz source. If the set cannot accept a 24hz signal, than 120hz is pointless. More often than not, viewing the film in it's native framerate (usually 24hz) will give the best results. Most video games consoles are designed to display around 30hz or 60hz (or 25hz or 50hz). There should not be any inverse telecine applied to the signal when playing games. 120hz could be bad for gaming since it not only performs some sort of IVTC, but also "adds" extra frames.

Also keep in mind the 360 will scale games to the maximum resolution of you set. This can often be different than the resolution at which the game render. Some games don't even render at standard HDTV resolutions. And if the 360 doesn't scale it, the TV will. This simple processing can add lag to the signal. In most cases, it's best to let the 360 do the scaling though.

Oihan, out of the three choices you have, I'd choose the 1080p60. If possible, I'd choose an HDTV that also displays a pure 1080p signal untouched at 24hz. Keep in mind that most HDTVs will be a comprimise for gaming. I hope I've been able to answer most of you questions. If you want to know anymore, feel free to ask.

Well, my size limit is 32 inches, and if you say I should go with 1080p/60 then the Sharp would be my only option. However, I can't seem to find out if it can handle a 24Hz signal or not...so I'm assuming it can't. ...And are you suggesting downscaling is more of a compromise than a 2:3 pulldown (assuming the 720p 120Hz set can handle the 24Hz signal)?

I'm not much of an LCD fan either--but it's the only option for sub-40in screens.

Oihan---what's the difference between those two Sharp sets? If they're roughly a grand, that's a definite possibility. (I was hoping to spend 800 or so when Holiday sales occur, but I'll pay 200 bucks to go from 720 to 1080)

The only real differences between the two is that the LC32GP1U has a 'game mode' (Vyper Drive as they like to call it), one of it's composite inputs is on the side, has an extra HDMI input, and a DVI input; all 1080p compatible on both sets.

Well, my size limit is 32 inches, and if you say I should go with 1080p/60 then the Sharp would be my only option. However, I can't seem to find out if it can handle a 24Hz signal or not...so I'm assuming it can't. ...And are you suggesting downscaling is more of a compromise than a 2:3 pulldown (assuming the 720p 120Hz set can handle the 24Hz signal)?

For gaming, there should be no 2:3 pulldown. The framerate should be around 30hz or 60hz for video games. 120hz will probably be a little more laggy because it's duplicating frames in the video signal. Unless your primary movie player can send a 24hz signal, I wouldn't worry about 120hz (the 360 can't, but the PS3 can). Plus, you will get to see HD movies in their full resolution. I would rather have jitter than jaggies.

To answer your question, yes; it would probably be better in your case to go with a HDTV that doesn't have 120hz.

Ok I got the xbox HDdvd drive yesterday and have it all set up.

Only think I cant figure out is how to open the tray to the hd drive with the remote? I can only open the tray for the xbox with it?

any knows how to?

Also, to upscale dvds do you have to do anything? or is automatically? And can it upscale thru either component or vga?

Well, this is probably going to piss you off but:

1. You can't open the HD DVD tray with the included remote. The button on it only opens the Xbox tray. The way I have found to open the HD DVD tray with the remote is when you are on the main navigation screen (the orange main Xbox 360 screen) you can use the arrow keys to move down to the now "split" drive listing. The top half circle is your Xbox tray and the bottom half circle is your HD DVD drive. If you use the remote's arrow keys you can move down to that icon and select "open" from there. That is the only way I know how to open the HD DVD drive using the remote.

2. In order for either drive to upscale past 480p you need either an Elite/New Console with HDMI or the VGA outs. Neither drive will upscale at all over component.

Not that I remember. Mine's using VGA as well (I changed over... but all the new TV's I'm looking at don't have a VGA in like my current Plasma so it looks like I'm going to have to replace my Xbox with a new HDMI model soon). When I last played a DVD using the Xbox my Plasma did it's little blip blip thing and said it was showing a 1080i signal. From what I remember I touched nothing in the settings.

I rarely use my Xbox to watch DVDs though... it's upscaler is kind of weak IMHO. The one in my PS3 blows it out of the water, hence my PS3 has become my de facto DVD / Blu Ray player.

2. In order for either drive to upscale past 480p you need either an Elite/New Console with HDMI or the VGA outs. Neither drive will upscale at all over component.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Is this for newer 360's only? Because my launch-unit 360 is connected to my Toshiba DLP TV, and the picture is most definitely upconverted. I wouldn't have even noticed it either, but my old DVD player (also component, but lacking upconversion) was skipping on my in the middle of a DVD, and lacking anything else at the time (well, a PS2 on S-Video, but like that was really an option), I took the disc out and stuffed in my 360. The difference was night and day.

I later replaced that DVD player with an HDMI-out upconverting Panasonic unit with a Divx decoder, and a DVD played on either my 360, my DVD player, or my PS3 all look pretty much the same on each.

Positive.

My Plasma has this pop-up that shows what resolution it is receiving. Before I changed out to VGA input the most my Xbox would upscale over component was to 480p. Once I switched over to the VGA input it magically now upconverts to 1080i... I changed no settings, all I did was change it's cabling. I have been told it has to do with "permissions" and that the "industry" agreed a while back that nothing will be "allowed" to upconvert past 480p unless it is doing so through an HDMI or other digital connection. I have a Toshiba upconverting DVD player that does the exact same thing. If you hook it up using component cables it will kneecap itself to 480p but if you use it's HDMI out it will upconvert all the way up to 1080i.

I rarely use my Xbox to watch DVDs though... it's upscaler is kind of weak IMHO. The one in my PS3 blows it out of the water, hence my PS3 has become my de facto DVD / Blu Ray player.

I was thinking of getting a PS3 not so much for the games, but for the blu-ray(every movie I want seems to be there) and to replace my PS2. Statements like the above only serve to encourage my wreckless spending habit. :D

Saw the 1080p 32in Sharp at BestBuy today---1400 bucks though. Target has the 32in Sony I was looking at on sale for 800. Hard to justify almost doubling the price though IMHO. 100 off (assuming) for Xmas +12% off for Reward Zone (hopefully) is still 1200 bucks. The higher res is notable if you look for it, but it's not immediately/obviously apparent at the 5ft distance I plan to watch. Demo footage was decent as BB goes. (Ironically the high-end Sony had a horrific demo like the one I was looking at earlier had---like bad VHS copy of a copy)

What I really want is to see itty-bitty menu and HUD text from a 360 game--THAT will show if 1080 is worth it over 720 at 32in.

Saw the 1080p 32in Sharp at BestBuy today---1400 bucks though. Target has the 32in Sony I was looking at on sale for 800. Hard to justify almost doubling the price though IMHO. 100 off (assuming) for Xmas +12% off for Reward Zone (hopefully) is still 1200 bucks. The higher res is notable if you look for it, but it's not immediately/obviously apparent at the 5ft distance I plan to watch. Demo footage was decent as BB goes. (Ironically the high-end Sony had a horrific demo like the one I was looking at earlier had---like bad VHS copy of a copy)

What I really want is to see itty-bitty menu and HUD text from a 360 game--THAT will show if 1080 is worth it over 720 at 32in.

You can get the Sharp set from Amazon.com at a much cheaper price; they have some 'authorized dealers' there.

That's one thing I'd never order online--anything with an LCD screen. Not worth the effort/hassle if there's dead pixels. FAR easier to take it back and exchange for a new one, then wait a week each way plus the insane shipping charges of large heavy objects.

That's one thing I'd never order online--anything with an LCD screen. Not worth the effort/hassle if there's dead pixels. FAR easier to take it back and exchange for a new one, then wait a week each way plus the insane shipping charges of large heavy objects.

I ordered mine online, and I wouldn't do it again pretty much for those exact reasons.

Positive.

My Plasma has this pop-up that shows what resolution it is receiving. Before I changed out to VGA input the most my Xbox would upscale over component was to 480p. Once I switched over to the VGA input it magically now upconverts to 1080i... I changed no settings, all I did was change it's cabling. I have been told it has to do with "permissions" and that the "industry" agreed a while back that nothing will be "allowed" to upconvert past 480p unless it is doing so through an HDMI or other digital connection. I have a Toshiba upconverting DVD player that does the exact same thing. If you hook it up using component cables it will kneecap itself to 480p but if you use it's HDMI out it will upconvert all the way up to 1080i.

So... my 360's a freak, then? I'll have to see if one of my friends' TVs displays the resolution... my DVD player will, but not my TV. And I know I'm not imagining the whole thing.

Well, some offer free shipping. Plus, I think saving $400 for ordering online and dealing with the hassle would be worth it. I don't know about you, but I don't want to wait who knows how many more months till the same HDTV is just as cheap in stores as it is now online. Anyway....

So... my 360's a freak, then? I'll have to see if one of my friends' TVs displays the resolution... my DVD player will, but not my TV. And I know I'm not imagining the whole thing.

After some reading I know that Macrovision copy protection is not supposed to allow any upscaling past 480p over component and that it is only supposed to work over HDMI or VGA cables. Are you sure that your unit is actually upscaling past 480p? The change from 480i to 480p is enough for most people to see improvement and to be honest the upscaling from 480p to 1080i (or other resolutions) does not really add all that much more to the picture quality.

lol!! Man, Bay just can't keep his mouth shut re:Transformer hi-def. He's just looking to get slapped down by Paramount again! lol!!

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/dvd/20...rmers-bay_N.htm

clipped - Transformers is the first major film to arrive on HD DVD ($40) since partners Paramount and DreamWorks joined that side of the high-definition video disc format war. Universal also makes its films available exclusively on HD DVD. Sony, Disney and Fox support rival Blu-ray Disc, while Warner releases on both formats.

Bay caused a brouhaha on his blog (michaelbay.com) by voicing his displeasure that Transformers would not be available on Blu-ray and that he was rethinking his plan to direct a sequel. The next day he backpedaled, but he is still upset about the format war.

"It's short-sighted and it has delayed consumers' moving to HD (home video)," he says. "As a director, my critical eye is that Blu-ray is where my money is. Consumers are smart, and they are going to wait it out."

The HD DVD version also set a new mark. Its 190,000 copies sold is the best debut of any high-def disc.

Bay expects the cast to return for Transformers 2, which is targeted for June 25, 2009. The first film's take recently surpassed $700 million worldwide, and it has reached No. 18 on the all-time U.S. box office chart and No. 28 internationally.

After some reading I know that Macrovision copy protection is not supposed to allow any upscaling past 480p over component and that it is only supposed to work over HDMI or VGA cables. Are you sure that your unit is actually upscaling past 480p? The change from 480i to 480p is enough for most people to see improvement and to be honest the upscaling from 480p to 1080i (or other resolutions) does not really add all that much more to the picture quality.

Positive. The old DVD player was hooked up via component and should have been cranking out a 480p signal, but couldn't go any higher. It wasn't even close to the 360. But aside from the fact that the color contrast looks higher on the 360, I'm not really noticing a difference between it and the new DVD player. I'm really curious to get to the bottom of this mystery, now. Do all DVDs have Macrovision protection? Or something on the TV's end?

It's the actual player. The player itself is what sets the output rate. By my understanding of the technology, the player "knows" what kind of output you are using and it "knows" that it can only output certain resolution upscaled when those certain outputs are active. Try as I might before buying my VGA cable my Xbox 360 would not upconvert past 480p. The second that VGA cable went on and the settings were set for it, wham... 1080i upconversion output.