Question about 1/48 "support" materials

Qrusader

Hey all,

Forgive the "newbie" question (I am MW regular, but only in the "toy" section)

I want to add some diorama pieces to my collection, as well as ground crew, infantry, etc...I am sure I need to go to a hobby store/model store, but are there any suggestions of manufacturers or online sites? I know about the Hasegawa ground crew, but what else is out there? Cityscapes, terrain, support vehicles? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

I think the Hasegawa 1/48 ground crew is the only set of any use (includes 4 grenrators). Other ground crew sets all only have figures. However they're not accurate to the OVA. Any accurate stuff will have to be scratch built. I think there was a topic on the old boards for this.

The old Bandai line art of the 1/55 Strike valk however used the hasegawa 1/72 ground crew and equipment.

edit: too used to using spell checks....

Edited by alftien

The Hasegawa sets are probably your best bet.

ha36004.jpg

ha36005.jpg

ha36006.jpg

But there is all kinds of resin stuff out there. Check out Squadron Mail Order here in the U.S. (use the search function to check out 1/48 aircraft accessories). Verlinden makes some really cool (and pretty expensive) resin Navy tugs, tow bars, and oxygen carts, and figures. They also make this jammer (bomb loader):

L1427.jpg

...and fire fighting crew (with tug/fire engine):

vp0402.jpg

A company called Just Plane Stuff also has some good carrier decks and stuff like that.

Edited by Draykov

Building and painting are easy, follow the instructions, it's the weathering that you need practice on. You can prob find sites that teach you how to. Best is still trial and error, until you get something you like.

The Verlinden kits will be a little harder. They're mostly solid resin with photo etched parts. Cutting and sandind the resin gets tricky on small scales. Not forgetting you'd prob need some tools too. Not too easy if it's your first one.

Alvin

are these very hard to build and paint?

Check out the FAQs or ask on the boards over at Starship Modeler , I hang around there quite a bit and everyone is more than happy to help.

I found this awesome set on Squadron.com for those of us that have yet to get a 1/48, I think I may pick this one up.

It's a hasegawa set,, BUT it's in 1/72!

They have virtually the same thing in 1/48, but it's split up into two sets (and they're more expensive).

I don't think they make the van in 1/48 though.

are these very hard to build and paint?

Check out the FAQs or ask on the boards over at Starship Modeler , I hang around there quite a bit and everyone is more than happy to help.

I found this awesome set on Squadron.com for those of us that have yet to get a 1/48, I think I may pick this one up.

It's a hasegawa set,, BUT it's in 1/72!

I want it either for my MPCs or 1/60s, I think 1/72 is close enough that it will look ok, and if it doesn't I can always grab a 1/72 model (Maybe a VF-0, in a low vis paint scheme...sigh)