Please be on the lookout for something that was stolen!

I think that anything beyond "sitting out in the open with nobody watching it whatsoever" would have sufficed. I'm actually surprised that more stuff didn't get stolen. Basically the theif sucks and took advantage of MR's irresponsibility. I mean poo... where was everyone else even? Weren't there a ton of people there? You'd think someone would have seen something w/o being involved directly.

Edited by Max Jenius

Well, that is some good news to hear.

Perhaps it finally dawned on the pathetic thief that what he did was akin to stealing a Rembrandt or a Van Gogh... you just can't steal something like that and expect to "do something" with it. My guess is his friends are super dorks like him and they would know what it was and possibly report him, he couldn't sell it as it was a "marked item"...

also it's some what silly to say they should have locked it up better. hind sight is always crystal clear. if they'd bolted it to the table with a bike lock, and someone had clipped the lock and stole it, people would be saying it should have been in a steel cage.

if someone wants something they'll get it.

I still maintain it should've had minimal protection from hazards. A simple cord to prevent impact with the ground would've satisfied me, though I DO think that a locked plastic box would've been optimum for their goals.

Anything other than leaving an important sample completely 100% alone would've been a good idea.

Theft may be highly variable with the individuals involved, but gravity is constant.

the important thing is to make the act of stealing so socially dispicable that no one will do it for fear of getting caught and suffering the riddicule of his peers.

or even better, they won't do it, because of the harm it may cause to the victim. but that's just wishful thinking.

Indeed.

The people that do it are at least the minority already.

Whoah whoah whoah. I don't much care for the news of the theft (or the return) and hardly think a replica rates a comparison to a priceless work of art... MAYBE the original film hero prop(s) but not a replica.

But what's this about MR not renewing their license?? I was still hoping they would do some official removable blade Force FX's... guess it's time to hit up ultrasabers, after all.

Whoah whoah whoah. I don't much care for the news of the theft (or the return) and hardly think a replica rates a comparison to a priceless work of art... MAYBE the original film hero prop(s) but not a replica.

You misread my use of the comparison. I was not inferring the prop is some kind of precious art item I was inferring the prop is publicly MARKED. You cannot simply steal a Rembrandt out of the Louvre and turn around and display it in your home or sell it to a fence... one of a kind things are inherently marked by their one of a kind status and the right people will know exactly what you have, and in fan circles just like art circles some people will instantly know what you have is stolen. Holding onto a one of a kind stolen item is like holding onto nuclear waste... you have no where to go with it other than hiding it in your sock drawer where only you can see it. Unless the thief is a total Gollum kind of person who hides away alone in a cave with his "precious" there will always be the risk of being caught by showing it to the "wrong person".

You misread my use of the comparison. I was not inferring the prop is some kind of precious art item I was inferring the prop is publicly MARKED. You cannot simply steal a Rembrandt out of the Louvre and turn around and display it in your home or sell it to a fence... one of a kind things are inherently marked by their one of a kind status and the right people will know exactly what you have, and in fan circles just like art circles some people will instantly know what you have is stolen. Holding onto a one of a kind stolen item is like holding onto nuclear waste... you have no where to go with it other than hiding it in your sock drawer where only you can see it. Unless the thief is a total Gollum kind of person who hides away alone in a cave with his "precious" there will always be the risk of being caught by showing it to the "wrong person".

Actually, I wouldn't worry about showing someone that prop. I don't hang out with a lot of people into that kind of thing and those that are, I'd be willing to bet haven't even heard of the prop being stolen. Even if they did know, I doubt that they would recognize it. So maybe not immediately, but... yeah... Plus... how many people hang out with those that would recognize an original Rembrandt? Very few people I know would even bother to look.

Very few laymen would recognize an original but the people who would covet an original and attempt to acquire one would most likely move in circles where their acquaintances would know an original. Art hounds move in packs of other art hounds, just as anime geeks move in packs of anime geeks, car guys move in packs of car guys etc. etc. Think about how some of the people we know would instantly know on sight a Macross cel from DYRL, it's the same way with art hounds. Some folks are just so dorked out that they can simply tell by brief sight.

Another sad thing to think about is that this event that this prop was stolen at was by invitation only... think of the possible Hitchcockian Lifeboat levels of accusation and finger pointing that could have erupted had that prop not been returned. I mean, I've seen some Macross World witch hunts over pretty much nothing in the past... imagine a witch hunt over what probably could have amounted to grand theft with the right legal wrangling?