First Newtype Subscriptions are about to expire

Anubis

I subscribed to the US edition of Newtype when it came out, and I am now the time is coming where I will decide if I am going to renew it. I have found it so far to be a decent magazine, some interesting parts to it. However, I did not find it overall very useful, and I am leaning towards not renewing it myself.

Some of the image spreads were nice, like the ones for Macross Zero. But with the delay between the Japanese and US releases, the news in there is often already old, and the series spotlights don't really generate anything useful most of the time. Example being the second Inu Yasha movie, I don't remember what issue. It might have been nice to know what the title meant in English, and the description did not say much useful info about it. The Eva articles pissed me off. For highlighting the article on the cover, "New revalations on the renewal projects" or something like that, the articles were useless. One almost amounted to a series of people being asked: "If Anno would let you, would you make more Eva?" "Yes." End.

Oooooo.

The Seed articles were not bad, but since we were already way ahead in the episodes past that point, made them kind of moot.

Some of the interviews were not bad, and the model and figure highlights are nice. It's cool that it comes with a DVD sampler every month. I admit I have not watched any of them. My viewing backlog is big enough as it is. However I applaud the effort.

In the end I doubt I will renew it personally. Even with its flaws I still would like to hold on to it, and it has seemed to improve a little, but for 90 bucks, probably not. I'll stick with my online sites, and maybe an Animerica subscription, as affordable as that is.

I'm curious to see how useful you guys have found the magazine, and wether you will end up renewing your subscriptions.

I held off on subscribing to it for the longest time...

I finally subscribed, and have received three issues thus far, so far it's pretty good.

But I find that I really don't read the whole thing cover to cover, I mainly just glaze through it, and read the stuff that interests me, then drop it in a magazine file, and forget about it.

I have 11 more issues to go, and will make my decision then...

no i wont re-subscribe:

- it was annoying to have issuses appear on the newstand before i received them

- the first 1/3 of the magazine is cool. the rest is uninteresting. more pretty pictures and less filler articles

please

- i have fansubs so the preview dvds weren't of much value

- the contests are only for the US

- the upfront cost of resubscribing is quite high. where's the incentive for loyal readers??

I don't think I will be renewing. The biggest draw for me was the preview DVDs and they were hit and miss. The rest of the magazine was about 25% interesting, 50% what? and 25% no.

I never really liked how they did the layout - pretty scatter-brained article placement.

I've picked them up and read the demo copy at newstands, but I've never really felt the need to buy one. I can get most of what I need from the internet....

Then there's the whole price issue involved....