Suggestion

I just got a new PC and I'm upgrading from Windows ME to Vista. Anyways I was adding a few of my favorite sites to the links bar in Internet Explorer. See attachment. The other sites have these nice little icons and both I believe are smaller sites then MacrossWorld. Couldn't we get a nice little kite icon tied to our site? I'm not up on html so I don't have a clue how its done but I'm sure it can't be too hard.

Just a thought,

Carl

post-317-1174750971_thumb.jpg

I just got a new PC and I'm upgrading from Windows ME to Vista. Anyways I was adding a few of my favorite sites to the links bar in Internet Explorer. See attachment. The other sites have these nice little icons and both I believe are smaller sites then MacrossWorld. Couldn't we get a nice little kite icon tied to our site? I'm not up on html so I don't have a clue how its done but I'm sure it can't be too hard.

Just a thought,

Carl

That's one of those things that I've always considered, and I made sure Macross Nexus had one before launching . Having said that, it's really difficult to get the kite to look right at that size (18x18 I think). I musta spent hours on it! (MM said I was obsessed) :lol:

I believe that if someone wants to whip one up and put it in ICO format, I can upload it to where it will be active. I'd try myself, but it'd just end up looking exactly like the Macross Nexus one!

Here is the kite on the globe image shrunk down from here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/_main_menu.htm

What do you think of this one?

Carl

I went with this one. It's now uploaded. But you'll probably have to clear your cache and/or recreate your bookmarks/quicklinks to see the change. I hadn't visited here via IE since I last formatted my drive. And it's showing up in IE for me.

Thanks for the contribution!

Now that I look at it in its fully shrunken state on my quicklink bar, perhaps the shadow effect is obscuring the lower kite a bit. But, it'll do until one of you wants to tweak it. ;)

How is this?

Carl

Did you create this red and white one yourself? If so, I'll use this one instead. Though it does have some bleeding around its transparency area that might look odd for people who don't have near-white backgrounds on their browsers (if they've customized the colors).

(sorry for the three rapid-fire posts)

Did you create this red and white one yourself? If so, I'll use this one instead. Though it does have some bleeding around its transparency area that might look odd for people who don't have near-white backgrounds on their browsers (if they've customized the colors).

(sorry for the three rapid-fire posts)

Its a shrunk down version of the hot topic icon used in the forums.

Carl

Yes, I had to clear the cache. Did you put it here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/

or here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/_main_menu.htm

I only see it in the forums.

Carl

The code of the index.html page would need to be changed for it to work outside the forums. We'll get to that eventually. ;)

I tweaked the globe kite a bit and added it to this post as a gif and a png.

Don't want to install another pic editing app on my pc, so can someone with infranview convert it to the ico format? ^_^;)

Arg... New PC's. :( Internect Explorer just stopped working for me and I had to restore things to the point they were yesterday so I lost a day of installing new software. I just re-installed IrfanView myself. Here is the new icon. I think it looks great.

Carl

MWicon5.ico

Edited by wwwmwww

It's nice. But it isn't really scaling correctly when it's actually in the favorites list or in the address bar. The left side sorta collapses. :(

H

Looks like it does rescale a bit which, at 18x18 px, will completely screw it up.

Here's a 17x17 version, maybe thats the size it needs to be. I don't know what the size is supposed to be and with images this small, every pixel counts.

(Notice the difference of the edges between the GIF and the PNG? GIF's suck, don't they?)

post-3373-1174813441.gif

post-3373-1174813453.png

The code of the index.html page would need to be changed for it to work outside the forums. We'll get to that eventually. ;)

You should be able to get away with just placing it as "favicon.ico" in the index directory. This works for a lot of host`s or this sometimes works for me

"<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />"

in the header part of the index page, I often copy it to all the pages to make sure It`s got from all angles.

Im prolly teaching you to suck eggs but at least anyone who wants to know how it works now does.

I decided to install infranview afterall. One more app installed isn't going to kill my pc. :)

Here's the ico file of the 17x17 px icon.

Well, tried that one. But it's not transparent.

So, now you guys are probably starting to understand why it took me hours to get this right on Macross Nexus. :p

Well, tried that one. But it's not transparent.

So, now you guys are probably starting to understand why it took me hours to get this right on Macross Nexus. :p

Sorry, first time working with infranview and forgot to check the transparent box. stupid stupid stupid... :(

I opened this one with Firefox and it looks like it'll work at 16x16 px. :unsure:

MW_ico16x16.ico

Looks like the color set to transparency has a few pixels within the kite itself. If anyone has a browser with a dark background, it'll really look odd. :(

Edit: Sorry to just keep nit-picking. But when I'm not able to do this work myself (computer is on the fritz. Bad motherboard). . . all I can do is give you fine folks a hard time. :lol:

It was red yesterday, now it's grey. I liked the red much better, it stood out in my giant list of bookmarks. Also, there's still an uneven border of white around it---I keep my PC with an entirely grey/blue scheme, which reveals a lot of graphical "flaws" that people who use white won't notice.

It was red yesterday, now it's grey. I liked the red much better, it stood out in my giant list of bookmarks. Also, there's still an uneven border of white around it---I keep my PC with an entirely grey/blue scheme, which reveals a lot of graphical "flaws" that people who use white won't notice.

Some level of "halo" is inevitable when you're working with only 16x16 pixels. :)

That greyish "halo" makes it look better on 95% of people's computers. If it were totally removed and made truly transparent, it would be a lot more "jaggy." But, if anyone wants to try it, I'll put that up too.

I actually was just thinking that this one matches MN's forum color scheme better than it does MW. Maybe we should swap. :lol:

Some level of "halo" is inevitable when you're working with only 16x16 pixels. :)

That greyish "halo" makes it look better on 95% of people's computers. If it were totally removed and made truly transparent, it would be a lot more "jaggy." But, if anyone wants to try it, I'll put that up too.

I actually was just thinking that this one matches MN's forum color scheme better than it does MW. Maybe we should swap. :lol:

The icon uses a transition from dark to light combined with transparency. People with light backgrounds will notice a slight dark 'stroke' around the top of the icon while people with dark backgrounds will notice that a part of the bottom will dissapear if there were no 'halo' around it. The only way to get around this problem is to copy the standard kite emblem from MN.

Hurin, if you feel that this icon fits the look of MN better then go ahead and swap them. It's up to you. :)

i love the new kite icon but was wondering why the little icon doesn't show up in my bookmarks? that would be neat!

On Firefox (at least), you need to delete your old bookmark, delete your cache, close all browsers, then recreate from scratch.

Same thing for IE. Though, I thought bookmark images only started working for IE with IE7. Could be wrong though. I've been on Firefox too long.

H

On Firefox (at least), you need to delete your old bookmark, delete your cache, close all browsers, then recreate from scratch.

Same thing for IE. Though, I thought bookmark images only started working for IE with IE7. Could be wrong though. I've been on Firefox too long.

H

woohoo! it works now.

and whats this IE you people are talking about? internet error? :D