Ace Combat 6:Skies of Liberation for XBOX360!

I mean, I have to get Allied Defense because Shamrock apparently really, really sucks at protecting your six,

Shamrock's not completley useless. If you tell him to target a plane that's targeting you, more often than not, that'll keep that plane occupied and out of your way. Sometimes Shamrock will even manage to hit and destroy it.

I was feeling a bit whimsical today, so I played around with Heavy Command Cruiser. It could be hit by RCLs, but guess what? You can hit it with FAE too. It's tricky, but it's a big target. I've managed to disable all weapons and engines before the Strigon team even made it off the deck, and the splash of the FAE knocked out a lot of stuff on the surrounding cruisers too.

(First pass from checkpoint nails all the deck guns; loop around for second pass to nail all the engines. Strigons don't take off until after enough time for you to pull two passes, so if you delay the second pass

just right, you might be just able to nail a few Strigons in the blast radius.)

Actually, the surrounding cruisers are smaller targets, so harder to hit with an FAE. But can be done and a single hit tends to wipe a lot of things off the deck. I think I fouled a few Strigons that way too -- think Strigon 5 was a bit too close behind me when the FAE hit one of the cruisers, and he had to break off.

(Incidentally, I did see an F-14 which made a pass at me get taken out by my FAE -- he was too low, and the blast AOE nailed him. So in online play, don't be too surprised when A-10s show up bombing with FAE, they can hurt you... but it's rare.)

EDIT: Just a note -- total time taken, less than 8 minutes 30 seconds, Grade B because I ignored the tankers. I'm not sure how quick this is though.

Edited by Lynx7725

Here's my award-winning (literally, got a medal) run through the game:

1 4:02

2 3:05

3 3:54

4 6:24

5 8:18

6 8:19

7 10:49

8 8:11

9 5:14

10 6:31

11 7:10

12 7:07

13 10:17

14 12:34

15 11:05

(table would look nicer if not for stupid message board ignoring all my formatting)

Total: 1:53:00 CFA-44 for most missions, can't remember the exceptions. Good odds of using a Typhoon in mission 9, though A-10 might be even better.

I said that, actually. It can be done, I agree, but there are better platforms to do close-in work. An F-14 with XLAAs is better utilized from far away -- its air-to-air weapon choices are optimized that way and it's really good at it.

I've seen a very good F-14 pilot in close and I can appreciate that the plane can do it, but from an ACM POV, I think the F-22 and Su-47 are much better close-in than a 'Cat.

EDIT: One thing though, if you use an XLAA-plane (F-14 and Typhoons only, IIRC), I think you cannot reasonably expect that many individual kills. XLAA is awfully inaccurate in the boost stage, up to 10~15K, and it's not that hard to dodge it if you see it coming, unlike the QAAM. It's also not often one-shot fatal.

I see and use F-14s with XLAA more as a long-range missile support, good to soften up a dogfighting F-22/ Su-47 and even claiming the odd kill. If I see an F-14 with XLAA in an online match, that's either someone who knows the plane well enough to be confident with it, or someone who is more intent on winning by objective, or someone who's a fan of the plane.

Edited by Lynx7725

True, the XLAA does not guarantee kills, its actually been officially stated that it trades off accuracy for range, whereas the XMAA is the other way around. I've grown accustomed to using the Tomcat in the AC series, as well as Over-G and the aerodancing series. In addition, I also use the Windhover F-16 often. I did win a battle royale once with the AC2 Falcon, but that was difficult, since it has no SP weapons at all. I really wanted the F-5 series, F-4 and F-8 to be playable in the game. I do like a lot of the older fighters.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard of any new DLC lately?

Also, I've dropped down a few spots: http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php...p;x=44&y=16 And someone got 1000. Not surprised at who, I flew against/with Nizmojoe a few times IIRC and he was good. And he was going up the ranks quickly. Still, that's several hundred more online battles than I care to play.

"In an effort to make a few quick bucks, team Namco has plans to release yet another set of semi-overpriced Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation DLC next week."

Semi overpriced? SEMI overpriced!? The pricing of the DLC for AC6 is simply obscene.

Been following some of the chatter on gamefaqs. Someone translated news from a Japanese site. This post in particular was interesting:

---------------

"Heh, the mention of Ace of Aces is barely there.

Its mostly talking about an auto-update which will greatly enhance the online features. Introducing more penalties for unsporting behaviour and will take into consideration what weapons you use in calculating scores (You use QAAMs, you get less points for each kill).

And finally you will be able to tell who the hell is talking!

While all these online enhancements will be free, Ace of Aces may yet be separate and cost a few points. Confirmation though that its a off-line single player mode."

---------------

For all the complaints I see about QAAMs on gamefaqs, making them score less points for each kill would probably remedy that. I haven't been online battling much in a long long while though. But the biggest best news for online which I hope is true is an indicator letting you know *who* is talking.

And weren't we pretty sure already that Ace of Aces was going to be a single player mode anyway?

Supposedly this is all coming some time this month.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of new DLC available. The game also made me apply a patch when I first loaded it up too, don't know what that's about.

- The first Ace of Aces mission

- Battle Royale DL 1

- Co-Op Battle DL 1

- Siege Battle DL 1

and some other obscenely priced DLC repaints re-stats of existing planes. Actually, the whole lot of it's still obscenely priced. Each thing I mentioned above is a seperate DLC ranging from 100 to 350 credits each.

edit: Found this post on gamefaqs detailing what the update did:

"(1) The leaderboards were wiped clean: everybody has a new chance to get ranked, and the boosters will have to do it all over again.

(2) The microphone icon flashes now when a player is speaking in the lobby (aka 'room') before a match, so you can tell who is speaking (and who has their TV turned up too loud). Also, an audio cue when a player enters the lobby (aka 'room') has been added.

(3) Points scored during a match are now prominently displayed at the bottom of the screen AS THEY ARE SCORED, so you know what you have accomplished points-wise as it happens.

(4) Points per hit are now awarded in Team Battles (not just per kill), which is a nice touch.

(5) Crashing is now a huge penalty (1000 points), but getting shot down is only a 200 point penalty. This should discourage crashing to reload or to avoid getting shot down.

(6) QAAMs seem to be a bit weaker, at least in terms of long-term tracking. But the XMA*s seem to track better than before."

I'm pretty sure that microphone thing includes in-game too, not just the lobby, but I haven't been online yet to confirm. I like the point scoring changes and points per hit displays, except I'm not too sure what to think of the -200 point penalty for being shot down just yet.

Edit: Edit: I dl'd the first Ace of Aces mission, which is just mission one with increased difficulty and some more mission target parts(that I noticed so far). Haven't finished it yet because I was shot down by a B-52. Yeah, you heard that right. They have tail gunners now that actually can hit you, plus it takes more than two missiles to take one down now.

Edited by Alpha OTS

Nice, were you trying to take down the B-52 with your gun or just got too close to the tail while lining up a shot?

I was trying to do both. You can't get close to them at all without taking some damage now.

• 1 year later...