Jack Archer

Deadzone

Huh? 1stBRD, are you saying if you had a domestic release of Southern Cross you'd stop liking Robotech and switch to just the SC release (sans RT)? That's what it sounds like. That your only interest in RT is the fact it SC is currently only available as a part of it. :huh:

Huh? 1stBRD, are you saying if you had a domestic release of Southern Cross you'd stop liking Robotech and switch to just the SC release (sans RT)? That's what it sounds like. That your only interest in RT is the fact it SC is currently only available as a part of it. :huh:

That is how I view our borderline crimson satanic friend also.

To his defense that's how I held on to it until I saw Mospeada... I mean, hey Cyclones were cool, but I'm not going to pretend I know the originals when I didn't.

Pretty much all of Robotech that I really like is in the Southern Cross portion....or is related to SC. I really only support Robotech at this point so that Southern Cross can gain popularity. I sure as hell don't support it for the Macross portion.......which I find boring to say the least. I like Mospeada/New Generation....but I have to be perfectly honest when I say that if I had a choice between a Southern Cross sequel and a Robotech sequel...I would take the Southern Cross one. ;) As that is not currently available...well..Robotech has ALOT of Southern Cross in it...so I like it.

That is how I view our borderline crimson satanic friend also.

Heh...nice one.

1st Border - British Glider Infantry Battalion during WWII, part of the 1st Airborne Division

Red Devil - Nom de Guerre of the British Airborne...given by the German Afrika Corps troops that faced them...either referring to their maroon berets or the fact that they were covered from head to toe in red clay.

1st Border - British Glider Infantry Battalion during WWII, part of the 1st Airborne Division

Red Devil - Nom de Guerre of the British Airborne...given by the German Afrika Corps troops that faced them...either referring to their maroon berets or the fact that they were covered from head to toe in red clay.

aren't they the guys that got caught in Arnheim when Montys plan completely screwed the pooch?

Yes, they were. Watch A Bridge Too Far for the movie version.

Since a lot of the people here don't seem to be aware of it, there will be a domestic, subtitled release of Southern Cross on DVD, probably in the next few months. It's due October 21. Info:

http://www.advfilms.com/catalog/index.asp?...s&f=&s=1&st=174

http://www.advfilms.com/catalog/catalog_it...s=1&i=174&v=956

I think the projected price (which doesn't appear on the ADV pages) is a bit high, but I hope to get it eventually...

Edit: But if you want a sequel to SC, I'm afraid you're out of luck. There certainly won't be one made in Japan, and it's indeed doubtful that such a thing would appear stateside under the Robotech banner.

Edit 2: Price projection for the ADV set is here.

Edited by ewilen

aren't they the guys that got caught in Arnheim when Montys plan completely screwed the pooch?

Yep...the 1st Border were a part of Operation Market-Garden. Watch the movie, or read the book, A Bridge too Far. It was amazing that alot of the 1st Airborne guys chose to wear their berets as opposed to helmets....that says alot about their esprit de corps.

pooch_screw.jpg

I still dip my toes in Robotech because in many ways that's the quickest way of find people who have an interest in Mospeada who might be interested in jumping across.

But I sure don't do it by mocking and insulting them. 'Course I guess there are enough macross fans you don't mind alienating some potental ones...

Cyc

Yep...the 1st Border were a part of Operation Market-Garden. Watch the movie, or read the book, A Bridge too Far. It was amazing that alot of the 1st Airborne guys chose to wear their berets as opposed to helmets....that says alot about their esprit de corps.

its one of my favorite movies. never read the book though....

its one of my favorite movies. never read the book though....

The book, by Cornelius Ryan, is a superb history book. Its a little dry in places but I loved it after reading it the first time. Finding it might be a little hard....mine was a gift from another World War II reenactor. I have to say that the Brits at Arnheim have my respect for surviving through absolutely horrendous odds. The fact that Colonel Frost's battalion held out on the bridge itself is a testament to their courage.

"Whoa, Mohammed!"

I'm still trying to find out how I can watch the original Macross series without shelling out $225.00. I want to give it a chance, but I ain't paying that kind of dough just for the original version. I put up a topic about this in MOVIES AND TV SERIES forums, but it got moved someplace I can't find. Either that or it got deleted which I wouldn't know what for. Anybody have any ideas? Anybody have the series and is willing to rent it to me?

I'm still trying to find out how I can watch the original Macross series without shelling out $225.00. I want to give it a chance, but I ain't paying that kind of dough just for the original version. I put up a topic about this in MOVIES AND TV SERIES forums, but it got moved someplace I can't find. Either that or it got deleted which I wouldn't know what for. Anybody have any ideas? Anybody have the series and is willing to rent it to me?

TMPanime has:

The 3 disc mini box sets for $64.95 each (3 x $64.95 = $194.85)

and

The individual discs for $20.99 each (9 x $20.99 = $188.91)

Here's the link:

http://www.tmpanime.com/default.php/cPath/30_75

Overstock.com has the first 2 mini box sets for $41.39 and the third for $52.99. ($41.39 x 2 +$52.99 = $135.77)

Here's the thread about it:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...ct=ST&f=2&t=200

If you get them, tell us what you think. :)

The book, by Cornelius Ryan, is a superb history book. Its a little dry in places but I loved it after reading it the first time. Finding it might be a little hard....

I believe it may have been reprinted recently. A month or so back, I saw a new copy in my local Chapters store.

(SDF Macross) is a little more mature than Robotech and once you get past the subs, you'll probably end up liking it more than Robotech (I've never met anyone who didn't).
I can think of at least two people on this board for whom that statement is untrue. Cyclone, who is an unrepentent Mospeada nut....and myself. I prefer Southern Cross. However, I love Robotech because it really is the only way that I will ever get to see more of my beloved series...though with the way that Tommy Yune is doing things...that might not be certain.

Oh come on, your just being difficult. :p If the rest of what I wrote was left in, it's obvious that I was only comparing tha Macross Saga part of Robotech to SDF Macross and not the whole series w/ the SC and Mospeada parts. It's okay though, sometime I wake up just wanting to be difficult too. :lol:

Personally, I wish HG, Toynami, and ADV had done the SC releases before the Mospeada ones. Personally I prefer the Mospeada stuff, but since we already have the Gakken toys/Imai models, and the only thing SC ever got were those ugly Matchbox toys and a few models, it would have been nice to see some better looking toys for that series. Plus, that's the order it should be in anyways.

BTW

RED DEVIL-Southern Comfort, Sloe Gin, Triple Sec, Lime Juice, Vodka, OJ, and Amaretto

Some people call it a Red Death and some bartenders make it with banana booze and other liqueurs, but I like it this way. :D