Pan's Labyrinth

KingNor

I saw this at the AFI film festival. It was awesome. Neil gaiman fans would be into it. A lot of friends didnt like it because I think they were expecting Alice In Wonderland type adventure in another realm. But it stays pretty much in the real world and the protagonist goes into the labyrinth once and a while. It's a fantasy for adult viewers, very violent and very scary.

Maybe because this is a Spanish/mexican production (Guillermo Del Toro is from Mexico), we've already seen it in Mexico and Spain a few weeks ago in it's original spanish dialogue. I think it's far the best movie of the winter, but beware! It's a very mature story. If you bear this in mind you'll love it. The best Del Toro movie yet.

By the way: the conceptual designs are from Mike Mignola, Hellboy's father and a good friend of Guillermo's.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

haha... and i hear the soundtrack is impossible to find..... haha...

Actually, I already got it from Fry's. Now I have two copies, gonna have to return one to Amazon.

Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with Gaiman right? Cause i don't see him credited anywhere on the website.

nope, but it's right up his type of stuff. Fantasy world and reality intermerging.

oh no, is this dubbed?

I saw it subtitled. Guillermo Del Toro was there to introduce the film, it was pretty cool.

For anyone interested, there's a Q&A with Guillermo Del Toro tonight at the 7:55pm screening at the Arclight in Hollywood. Unfortunately I wont be able to make it. But if anyone goes please give us a report of how it was.

saw it on saturday in SF. Man that is a brutal movie. good stuff though.

I'd describe it as Alice in Wonderland meets Saving Private Ryan, with just a little Hellraiser sprinkled in.

***** Spoilers below: BEWARE******

Edited by KingNor

Wow - just wow, this was an excellent movie!!! loved it!!

Del Torro can do no wrong! Although i am biased... i loved Blade II and Hellboy... and I love Mignola, plus spanish is my first language - this movie has it all!

he he - i'm all giddy, can't wait for the DVD!

just saw this movie last night. gosh, it's pretty depressing. But I did enjoy it. I kinda went in thinking it was gonna be like some sort of fantasy type movie where the girl really is a princess or something. Ah well.

Well, from what i figured - she is a real princess.

And that the 'other' world was real (El Fauno giving the girl the root to put in milk, and then said root being found by the Capi-tan), and she actually did NOT die like any mere mortal as was threatened to her several times.

So it all worked out, really.

well the way I saw it, everything was all in her head. She just made everything up to "escape" from her not so happy life. All the fairytale books that she read fed her imagination so everything thing she saw was so vivid. So that root that she got from El Fauno could've been something she found in the forest. Another reason that led me to believe that it was all in her head is that when she finally "crossed" over the portal to see her father and mother as the king and queen, the queen happen to be her mother in the "mortal world." So basically she died and went to heaven and was reunited with her parents. I thought she would physically be in that fantasy world, not spiritually.

Hmm, thats deep man.

I see what ur saying, and i reckon u have just as strong a point of view - and thats the awesome thing about this movie, can be taken either way. Once again, Del Torro rocks.

Was it reall her real world ma in the other world? I'll have to check it out again, for sure!!!

But - if it was in her head, how did she run 'thru' the walls to get to the portal?

****spoiler warning****

in some ways i think it's left ambiguous wether or not the fantasy world was real or not. in the end she was left with a choice of which to choose and she had to deal with her choice.

on the other hand, i think it is far more elegant to think the fantasy world was entirely fantasy. it fits the theme of the story better i think.

In the final confrontation, i think it was meant to look like she had to choose to either confront reality or keep running away, she didn't have a choice really though, she HAD to deal with reality. so she did, and reality was harsh indeed.

ultimately, having dealt with the real world she finally gets to indulge completely in her fantasy kingdom. the way it is cut though, i wonder if she's meant to realize "i'm not living in a magical kingdom, i'm dieing" before she finally dies when the camra switches from her world back to spain. it's hard to tell, but it would make a big diffrence on the ending. The fact that the mother is holding a baby (who isn't dead) is a bit telling, since it would be reasonable to think she' wants her mom and brother to be together.

It's a sad ending to a very beautiful movie. personally i find it compelling though.

Edited by KingNor

Saw the movie with my Mother and Brother today. They enjoyed it.

I wasn't expecting it to end the way it did. It was well done.

The only thing i didnt care for was the cursing. its not that i was offended its just

that at times it felt out of place. There was definately some ambiguity at the end

about whether everything was in her mind or not. As the movie ended, i felt that her

dream/fairy tale world had come to and end. It was sad. I had read somwhere that this

was to be a trilogy i cant recall where though. something to the effect of 3 stand

alone stories that are connected. I'll have to go look it up.

Saw the movie with my Mother and Brother today. They enjoyed it.

I wasn't expecting it to end the way it did. It was well done.

The only thing i didnt care for was the cursing. its not that i was offended its just

that at times it felt out of place. There was definately some ambiguity at the end

about whether everything was in her mind or not. As the movie ended, i felt that her

dream/fairy tale world had come to and end. It was sad. I had read somwhere that this

was to be a trilogy i cant recall where though. something to the effect of 3 stand

alone stories that are connected. I'll have to go look it up.

Cronos

The Devil's Backbone

Pan's Layrinth

haha.. the only worthwhile figures would be the Faun and the fairys.. everyone else is plain boring...

You forgot the Pale Man.

You forgot the Pale Man.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS..............

Among others:

1. The General with bash-your-face-into-a-bloody-pulp-action. This would be a set with his counterpart.

2. The General with the half Joker grin.

3. The little girl in her dark green, Alice in Wonderland outfit.

4. The root.

5. The stick insect.

6. The Toad.

I really like the characters. Pan is very intruiging to look at.