Flashback 2012 and 20th Anniversary DVD

The6ftTallAZN

I don't know if this is in the right place so move it if need be. Anyways I'm looking for a copy of the region free Flashback 2012 DVD and the 20th Anniversary DVD. I don't know where to look except for ebay, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to buy them from for good prices.

Thanks everyone

I don't know if this is in the right place so move it if need be. Anyways I'm looking for a copy of the region free Flashback 2012 DVD and the 20th Anniversary DVD. I don't know where to look except for ebay, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to buy them from for good prices.

Thanks everyone

Check them here

If I'm not mistaken, those might be bootlegs.

Macross 0 has only been released with the episodes on seperate discs.

There is no 'Bandai Emotion' imprint label on the cover of the Macross 20th Anniversary DVD, plus the DVD logo itself is in colour, when the original is not. (Plus they are far, far cheaper then the 'region 1' DVDs listed on that page. Suspicious...)

I searched on the net, and I found some similar releases, and they had English and Chinese subtitles - leading me to suspect that they are Chinese bootlegs.

Yeah I was looking for the boots cuz I know that neither of these were released in the US and unless I have a region free DVD player or something like that which I don't, I'm prolly gonna have to settle for the boots. Anyways Thanks again for the help.

Just as long as you all are aware that by supporting bootleggers, you are not supporting further Macross projects, then that is all I can add to this topic.

Considering most of the post Mac Plus projects are not licensed in North America and may never be (due to the HG bullsh*t) and that most if not all Region 2 Macross DVDs are now out of production (not sure about Mac Zero though) all that is left to most fans are the bootlegs.

Would I fork over for domestically released editions of the Japanese DVD's, you bet and most of us would, however that isn't really an option.

I personally own both Bandai R2 versions of DYRL Perfect Editon and the Mac Plus Movie Edition on DVD, however, I still have to decrypt them to watch them on my home theater DVD player...

If BigWest truly wished to break into the North American market, more effort would be required to challenge the HG claims on the franchise. Maybe they intend to do just that once all the Japanese law suits are settled once and for all. However, in the meantime, we as non-Japanese based fans, have to get our fix one way or another. The only other way to get Macross is via fansub groups and some consider that bootlegging too.

Getting bootleg copies of shows currently available here is not supported, but if they are not available here, then there is little choice left to most fans.

Yep.

As for the bootleg DVDs and such, I have no choice but to settle for bootlegs. There's no official US releases and I don't forsee this happening in this decade TBH.

There's not much choice out there. The majority of the official stuff is regioned for Japan and no subtitling in English.

It doesn't do me an ounce of good to buy a player to play all sorts of region DVDs, buy the official Japanese DVDs, when I can't understand what's being said since there are no English subtitling.

Yep.

As for the bootleg DVDs and such, I have no choice but to settle for bootlegs. There's no official US releases and I don't forsee this happening in this decade TBH.

There's not much choice out there. The majority of the official stuff is regioned for Japan and no subtitling in English.

It doesn't do me an ounce of good to buy a player to play all sorts of region DVDs, buy the official Japanese DVDs, when I can't understand what's being said since there are no English subtitling.

Additionally, another way BigWest could get into the North American market without having to deal with HG, is by simply adding an English subtitle track to their DVD releases! With the current import laws in North America, there is nothing stopping importer from selling imported japanese DVD's. Then all that would be required by us is to decrypt the Region coding and enjoy!

However even that little thing is not being done, it is very unfortunate but we are forced to rely on fansubs or the substandard translations of Chinese bootleggers who often have a poor grasp of the English language.

It'd be nice, but the likeliness of that occuring is remote.

IMO, I have a better chance of going home tonight after work, open my bedroom door, and see a naked Jessica Alba & Sophia Bush who've been waiting all day for me, than seeing the English subtitling occur with official Macross stuff.

^_^ Daydreams for a few seconds ^_^

Anyways, what would be entertaining is to see horribly English subtitled Macross stuff.

Along the lines of the notorious, badly translated Star Wars Episode III: "Backstroke of the West."

The best/worst I ever saw was a cam bootleg of Howl's Moving Castle. The subtitling was shall we say not for kids... They must have learned English from sailors because the language would have made a marine blush... :p

Not to mention it made absolutely no sense to the story! :blink:

Rationalize it all you want, you are still not putting money in the hands of the people who make Macross.

Being a fan of a foreign entertainment sucks at time. Bite the bullet boys. I've been studying Japanese since 1992, and buying domestic releases of the Macross series that I like, so I have no sympathy for you.

Also, there are used shops too, and I have found all manner of Macross DVDs in them. Again, no excuse.

Rationalize it all you want, you are still not putting money in the hands of the people who make Macross.

Being a fan of a foreign entertainment sucks at time. Bite the bullet boys. I've been studying Japanese since 1992, and buying domestic releases of the Macross series that I like, so I have no sympathy for you.

Also, there are used shops too, and I have found all manner of Macross DVDs in them. Again, no excuse.

So you're saying he should by a new DVD player and learn Japanese if he wishes to enjoy Macross? Are you serious? Because you had the interest/time/commitment to learn a second language, you think we all should? Please realize that comes off a bit elitist/arrogant.

Edited by mister_e

*cough* fourth language *cough*

I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that I have no sympathy and there is no excuse.

There are translated scripts, and even subtitle files with time tracking built into them available. There is even one that I am aware of being made available by a member of this forum for DYRL.

There are ways to watch non-region compatible DVDs. As I am not an expert in it, I cannot elaborate. But yes, expensive hobby and tastes us Macross fans have, and there are unavoidable costs when it comes to imports.

Edited by sketchley

So you are saying that SDFM, DYRL, Macross Plus OVA's, Macross Plus Movie are all "still" being actively printed in Japan?

I suggest you get your self away from that mirror you enjoy so much and look around you... They are NOT in production anymore and thus any purchases are either second hand or a resellers old stock. Old money that Big West has already made and is no longer making on such items.

If I wish to truly support future Macross projects, I will buy the toys that have come out and are coming out, the licensed figures, statues and even the Macross Zero DVD's (which ARE still being produced). Oh wait most if not all on these boards are doing just that!

Hmm, I guess because we are not buying items that are no longer making Big West any money we aren't entitled to be so self righteous or self important as you... Oh well, we'll live... ;)

Anyways,

I found Macross Flashback 2012 on youtube. I have yet to find english subtitles for 2012 that work.

boinger

Thank you boinger for finding this, I've never seen Flashback so seeing with or without subs is better than not seeing it. But either way I'm still gonna get the DVD for it just so I can watch it whenever I want on a TV and not just being restricted to watching it on my computer.

Thanks Again!

-Kyle

With Flashback, I really don't think there should be subtitles, or the fact that it matters. Unless you are into karaoke that is. But IMO, any man that sings along to Minmay's songs rather than listening to them deserves a backhand. :p

So you are saying that SDFM, DYRL, Macross Plus OVA's, Macross Plus Movie are all "still" being actively printed in Japan?

I suggest you get your self away from that mirror you enjoy so much and look around you... They are NOT in production anymore and thus any purchases are either second hand or a resellers old stock. Old money that Big West has already made and is no longer making on such items.

If I wish to truly support future Macross projects, I will buy the toys that have come out and are coming out, the licensed figures, statues and even the Macross Zero DVD's (which ARE still being produced). Oh wait most if not all on these boards are doing just that!

Hmm, I guess because we are not buying items that are no longer making Big West any money we aren't entitled to be so self righteous or self important as you... Oh well, we'll live... ;)

Zinjo, as always, you make me chuckle. Please, don't read what you think I am trying to say, but what I am actually saying.

Did I once claim that Macross DVDs were still being published in Japan? NO.

Are new Macross DVDs still available for purchase at stores? YES. I, and I am sure that other members of this community have seen them in their forays to the shopping districts of Japan. Do you want a list of shops and titles? As one can be provided.

Agreed that purchasing used products probably doesn't (I am unfamiliar with those laws here in Japan,) put money directly in the hands of the producers of Macross. However, it DOES tell stores that people are buying Macross products. They, in turn, request more product from distributers, who in turn request more product from the producers of Macross; which significantly increases the chance of both reprints AND sequels. It's simple market economics.

Yes, buying merchandise is all well and good, and it tells manufacturers, distributors and retailers that there is a demand for merchandise. However, it only proves that there is a demand for merchandise, and not the anime that the merchandise is a derivative of.

Anyhow, I think all of you who want to buy bootlegs are silly. Haven't you heard of Torrents? The last I checked, ALL of the Macross anime, manga, and games* released to date are available - for free, and with subtitles or English translations. Why pay money to criminals**, when you can get it for free from other criminals?

*PS1 generation and later. I'm not sure about preceeding games.

** Who invariably provide flawed, or just plain wrong subtitles and translations

Edited by sketchley

Zinjo, as always, you make me chuckle. Please, don't read what you think I am trying to say, but what I am actually saying.

Are new Macross DVDs still available for purchase at stores? YES. I, and I am sure that other members of this community have seen them in their forays to the shopping districts of Japan. Do you want a list of shops and titles? As one can be provided.

Agreed that purchasing used products probably doesn't (I am unfamiliar with those laws here in Japan,) put money directly in the hands of the producers of Macross. However, it DOES tell stores that people are buying Macross products. They, in turn, request more product from distributers, who in turn request more product from the producers of Macross; which significantly increases the chance of both reprints AND sequels. It's simple market economics.

Yes, buying merchandise is all well and good, and it tells manufacturers, distributors and retailers that there is a demand for merchandise. However, it only proves that there is a demand for merchandise, and not the anime that the merchandise is a derivative of.

Anyhow, I think all of you who want to buy bootlegs are silly. Haven't you heard of Torrents? The last I checked, ALL of the Macross anime, manga, and games* released to date are available - for free, and with subtitles or English translations. Why pay money to criminals**, when you can get it for free from other criminals?

** Who invariably provide flawed, or just plain wrong subtitles and translations

Right, now you're making me laugh. DVDs are the only way to support the production of new series? Whatever. I've only got one boxset of AnimeEigo's DVDs, and I'm sure as hell not going to buy another one. Why the hell would I? 1 boxset cannot be presented in many ways at all, you can have special collectors boxsets and other fancy derivatives like that, but all in all there are only so many times I will buy that boxset, and I can guarantee you that will not exceed the number 1.

Merchandise on the other hand, I can go crazy over. I own over 100 Yamato 1/48 VF-1 Valkyries (NOT including accessories and VB-6 Konig Monsters and Q-Raus, FPs and GBPs; BIGWEST APPROVED NON-BOOTLEG 100% Pure Macross). Let me just join this mega ego-destination train ride that you started here, I can sure as hell say that I've been putting more money into the franchise than you. I'd like to see any anime survive on just the animation alone. I can put each variant into 3 different modes and repeat again with fast packs, hell I can buy little figures to hang in my car, make dioramas, in multiple scales etc etc etc. Tell me which methods brings more royalties and profits and sends the message that people like the anime cause it's a source of promotion for these products. You should know, cause you yourself said: "It's simple market economics." :rolleyes:

That and the fact that your elitest attitude and your "wang factor" of being a language guru and cultural expert ain't helping you out here either. Hell, in the other thread I liked M7 and agreed with your views and explanations, save the part where you were being very patronising to those that didn't like or can't understand M7. You know four f-ing languages, you have no need for subtitles...Well clap clap the handicap, good boy ain't you smart, here's f-ing gold star. Rationalise that all you want, but make sure you take note of the fact that you are alienating over 80% of the people on this board whose Japanese go no further than "karate kick" or "teriyaki chicken". In fact, while we're on it, why do you choose to hang out with us at all? Most of us have watched Macross DYRL? through bootlegs, that means we're the lowest of the low right? I'm sure that knowing Japanese you'll have no trouble at all chatting about Macross on a Japanese fanboard. That, or you can accept the fact that as fans of Macross we are subject to some troubles of getting R2 DVDs in America with subs or any other place than America cause of the international distribution laws laid down with compliments of HG. Cut the guys some slack.

Edited by kensei

On to something more related the subject of the TOPIC itself.

As someone who owns a real copy of Flash Back on VHS and backup (possibly a boot) on CD. I can tell you that no subs are needed. Only they would add lyrics. The dialog are just a couple of words at a time and you have read them before on Macross TV. The new animation doesn't include new dialog so you don't need it subbed.

On to something more related the subject of the TOPIC itself.

As someone who owns a real copy of Flash Back on VHS and backup (possibly a boot) on CD. I can tell you that no subs are needed. Only they would add lyrics. The dialog are just a couple of words at a time and you have read them before on Macross TV. The new animation doesn't include new dialog so you don't need it subbed.

Thanks for the info Roy. What about the 20th Anniversary DVD, I don't really know what the 20th Anni DVD really is.

Thanks

-Kyle

I can only go on what you post and how it reads brother... ;)

COOL! :D

True enough, however it only works on products currently in production, like the Macross Zero DVDs. The greater the demand the greater the DVD production, the more money Big West makes the more it reconsiders the market potential of new productions. Out of print DVD titles are essentially a waste of time to get (unless you are a hardcore collector or wish to take the superior R2 transfer and add your own subs to it), as Big West will not see anymore revenue from their sale.

I disagree. The main sponsors of anime in Japan are the merchandisers who will pony up the money to sponsor new shows if they believe the market is still open to more merchandise.

It wouldn't surprise me if the North American fanbase is helping to prop up support for the Macross merchandisers (Kensei in particular..IPB Image.

It would explain why Yamato and other Japanese producers have not struck any deals with HG over SDFM merchandise as they know the importing of their products won't be legally impeded.

Well some individuals would consider fansubs to be a form of bootlegging and/or copyright infringment as the titles are being distributed without license or the producers consent.

The only real market the bootleggers have are with those who are either incapable or unable to make hometheater capable DVD transfers of fansubs. Some may think it is an "easy" task and with the right equipment and no desire for anything pretty one can produce a very basic subbed DVD from a fansub, however anything more than that takes a certain level of skill.

Ask Hurin how much... :p

As for the FB2012 & 20th Anni DVDs, both can be found as bootlegs, and essentially they would be the same as you'd get if you picked up a R2 Japanese release. I have yet to see either one with any subs from bootleggers.