Tragedy strikes...

GutsAndCasca

I was changing my Max VF1S into battroid mode, and one of the freaking head lasers snapped off! Wtf?! :o Anyway. Does someone know the best way to get this sucker back onto his head, so that it will stay on, and still look good? Please, somebody let me know! Thanks a bunch!

---Brian

if you still have your max vf-1a head (and you dont use it) and wanna trade for a roy vf-1s head, let me know. kyatsu :)

I would trade you heads, but unfortunately my Max 1S used to be a Hikaru 1S. I DO have a CF head. And I have a recast 1S head, but the color doesn't match well enough. This situation sucks, because unless I use some super-duper end-all glue, this thing will keep breaking off. AUGH.

well, if you still have your max vf-1a and wanna trade for the roy, let me know. kyatsu ;)

I would trade you heads, but unfortunately my Max 1S used to be a Hikaru 1S. I DO have a CF head. And I have a recast 1S head, but the color doesn't match well enough. This situation sucks, because unless I use some super-duper end-all glue, this thing will keep breaking off. AUGH.

I was changing my Max VF1S into battroid mode, and one of the freaking head lasers snapped off! Wtf?! :o Anyway. Does someone know the best way to get this sucker back onto his head, so that it will stay on, and still look good? Please, somebody let me know! Thanks a bunch!

---Brian

muahahaha. good for you. muahahaha. buy another one. muahaha

just j/k :lol:

...This situation sucks, because unless I use some super-duper end-all glue, this thing will keep breaking off. AUGH.

Not necessarily. If you use a pin vise to drill a hole into the laser's shaft and base and put a metal pin in there as reinforcement, and use a little plastic weld (the kind that bonds ABS), the repaired piece should be stronger than it was before it broke. Believe me, this works like a charm; I just did this to the broken antenna of my 1/100 Destroid Phalanx model, and it's diameter is much smaller than the 1/48's head laser's. ;)

post-664-1159202230_thumb.gif

Not necessarily. If you use a pin vise to drill a hole into the laser's shaft and base and put a metal pin in there as reinforcement, and use a little plastic weld (the kind that bonds ABS), the repaired piece should be stronger than it was before it broke. Believe me, this works like a charm; I just did this to the broken antenna of my 1/100 Destroid Phalanx model, and it's diameter is much smaller than the 1/48's head laser's. ;)

Did this very same thing on a couple of 1/55`s and it works a charm also works on bigger things too like kids toys legs etc

What kind of plastic weld should I use!!!!!!!!!! I meant, -- ???????????

This is exciting news! And... would a model shop have a pin-vise? Or do I need to ebay me one?

thank you for the news!

There are many available brands of plastic welds that will do the job, even Testor's liquid cement might work since ABS IS styrene, but here is one that has many more applications: Click Me

The pin vise can be purchased on-line (Micro-Mark, for example), at hardware stores, or in most hobby shops; you'll also find the tiny drill bits you will need at the same places... the drill bit should be no bigger in diameter than the metal pin (seamstress' pin, for example) you choose to use.

Practice the technique bellow on some model sprues, or anything, before attempting on the toy.

When drilling, first mark the drill start point with an exacto knife by turning the blade to get a small depression started; that way, the drill bit won't wonder off center at the start of the process. Work the drill slowly, a few turns at a time and back off to clean the whole and make sure that you're drilling straight... keeping the drill concentric with the shaft and base, and properly aligned with each other is important; you don't want to drill at an angle and risk punching through the outer skin of the part, or the holes not match -- very unsightly.

Drill into both parts about 4-7 mm depending on the size of the part, and cut the pin .5-1 mm short of the total added drilled distances. You may also want to cut the pin on both ends with a wire cutter so that the resulting cut edges, which will be flat and splayed, will act as an anchor within the holes once pushed in. Insert the pin all the way on the shaft side and apply a small drop of the plastic cement on the exposed metal... capillary action will carry some of it into the hole. Blow away from the part to dry it. Now test fit to make sure the broken edges are properly aligned (you may want to give yourself a visual key by marking the pieces in their correct alignment with a tiny drop of paint you know to be easily removed later); if so, just pull the parts away from each other and add another small drop of weld to the metal pin, and before it evaporates push the two parts together until you see a very small amount of oozing from the crack. Let the fixed laser cure for about two hours before putting it through any stress. Clean up the marking paint, any oozed excess, and touch up any paint that the weld may have damaged.

You're done, good as new! ;)

I would not use JB weld on a 1/48. It is usually black and goopy and thick. It will leave a mess on a part that small. If that is all your hobby shop had then I would never go back! :lol:

If you are going to use the pin method, which I highly recommend too, a small small drop of super glue should give you a nice strong bond.