Thinking Of Building Or Buying Vf-0d

deadghost

hi guys I have a dilema you see I want a vf-0d and I have been putting together models for over 4 years but I never got it right , im not sure if I should just have a buddy of mines in china just build one for me for about a straight $100 or if I should just take it to the heart and just build it my self but i want to be clean, nice, you know what im talking about so please give me any advice on to achive this goal what path should I use. :huh:

hi guys I have a dilema you see I want a vf-0d and I have been putting together models for over 4 years but I never got it right , im not sure if I should just have a buddy of mines in china just build one for me for about a straight $100 or if I should just take it to the heart and just build it my self but i want to be clean, nice, you know what im talking about so please give me any advice on to achive this goal what path should I use. :huh:

425808[/snapback]

VF-0D sure would be nice. I'm assuming your talking about the 1/72 Hasegawa. I'd say you should give it one more shot. Just take your time and enjoy the process of building.

If on the other hand, your talking about customizing a 1/60 Yamato. Then I would say, get someone else to do it. Especially if it's for $100.00. B))

When all is said and done, don't forget to share your pics.

Well I'm going to assume that your talking about a model _ 'cus, well 'cus I'm just that kind of guy.

So, you say that

I have been putting together models for over 4 years but I never got it right
and
want to be clean, nice, you know what im talking about

Which leads me to believe that your previous models have been somehow lacking in your estimation.

I think that you probably have what it takes to build the kit yourself and get some satisfactory results, not to mention the sense of accomplishment, but, before I, or, I suspect anyone here, can give you any advice/tips on how to do that more clarification is required.

What did you have difficulty with in your previous builds? was it the building of the kit? (i.e. the gluing, sanding, puttying, sanding, re-puttying, sanding, re-re-puttying, sanding etc.?) or was it the detailing?( i.e. the decaling, weathering, panel-lining, painting etc.?)

Edited by Chas

I've been building and scratchbuilding models for 30 years. I'm still learning new tips and tricks for better accuracy! DON'T GIVE UP! If my wife can do it, you can.

The only way you're going to get skills, is if you use what you know, and learn more as you get older. I would even dare say you could start a thread, and ask for advice as you go on, step by step. Also do searches. We've talked about everything here from what types of glue to use to airbrushing techniques.

You have a lot of resources and help right here - for free! Some of us do this professionally, and others (like me) just wish we could! :D Take care. - MT

Well I'm going to assume that your talking about a model _ 'cus, well 'cus I'm just that kind of guy.

So, you say that

I have been putting together models for over 4 years but I never got it right
and
want to be clean, nice, you know what im talking about

Which leads me to believe that your previous models have been somehow lacking in your estimation.

I think that you probably have what it takes to build the kit yourself and get some satisfactory results, not to mention the sense of accomplishment, but, before I, or, I suspect anyone here, can give you any advice/tips on how to do that more clarification is required.

What did you have difficulty with in your previous builds? was it the building of the kit? (i.e. the gluing, sanding, puttying, sanding, re-puttying, sanding, re-re-puttying, sanding etc.?) or was it the detailing?( i.e. the decaling, weathering, panel-lining, painting etc.?)

425824[/snapback]

well I cant afford a airbrush so I use spray paint And I always find myself runing into problems either it drips, runs, but thats not my biggest concern my problem is the details -the weathering, panel lineing. and i think I will build this kit , thanks for the response.

If my wife can do it, you can.

425902[/snapback]

What! Your wife can model? I mean...do plastic kits? If she's a model, damn, double bonus! And for the sake of the thread, when I got the 1/72 VF-0D, I said to myself, damn, I wish I was only good enough. As I'm building more and more kits (see my in progress VF-1S), I think I can realize this more and more, and I've only been building kits for like what, a year? Even that?

Edited by Spatula

well I cant afford a airbrush so I use spray paint And I always find myself runing into problems either it drips, runs, but thats not my biggest concern my problem is the details  -the weathering, panel lineing. and i think I will build this kit , thanks for the response.

425983[/snapback]

Hi,

Good that you have decided to build this kit.

I am building my first kit too. I do run into a lot of problems. But it is fun to learn along the way.

I am not sure this is good advise or not, but if you can pay $100 for someone to build a model for you, then you could buy a "cheap" air-brush with not much more.

I am sure there are more models that you would like to build after the VF-0D. So it will be good to invest in a simple airbrush from the begining.

Good luck.

well I cant afford a airbrush so I use spray paint And I always find myself runing into problems either it drips, runs, but thats not my biggest concern my problem is the details -the weathering, panel lineing. and i think I will build this kit , thanks for the response.

Well I just started using spray paints recently, and I'm getting awesome results! what kinds have you used? For me it's Tamyia. I think the secret is to wash the parts with soapy water, make sure they are thoroughly dried, then prime them (sand/putty any blemishes) and lay the spraypaint down in THIN LAYERS. I cannot stress enough how important it is to apply THIN layers of both paint and primer. Make sure you are holding the spray can the requisit 12" (30cm) away from the object. Another tip is to try and keep the can in a verticle position while sprying - tilt the part not the can!.

As for weathering/panel lineing there are many different techniques each with there own tools. I always refer folks to the A.R.C. for a good pimmer on some of the different methods. Just visit the 'Tools 'n' Tips' section and read untill you feel confident in what you want to do. When you've decided on what kind of paints you are going to use (i.e. acrylics?/ lacquers?/ enamels? ) for your base coat then we can talk further about how to tackle the panel lines, as the choice of base coat can have an effect the steps that follow it.

One thing I'd like to add is, as I said, I keep my primer/paint coats thin, but when I aplly the clearcoat (Future in my case - and I use a brush for this) for the decals I make that a thicker coat. (something I learned on these very boards!)

Hope that helps a little.

Keep us posted. (Ha, Ha, I slay me :p )

Yeah, my wife occasionally works on plastic model kits. She isn't doing museum quality work, but her work doesn't look like a "glue bomb" hit it :D !

If your scared about airbrushes, high quality spray paints will get you started. I did it for years and liked not cleaning up the mess. Airbrushing gives you a smoothness and control that's hard to beat.

Panel lines can be as easy as using sharpened colored/plain pencils (blacks/greys accordingly) ran into the panels. Metalic colored pencils will even give you flaked effects if you're too scared to dry brush.

Be creative (read the forums here) and experiment on junky models or sheet styrene. Don't experiment on your macross masterpiece.

Take care! - MT

If you're just starting out airbrushing, go to walmart and get those big paper board for like 70 cents each or something. Get a few sheets of white paper and just spend maybe 2 to 3 hours just experimenting on how the airbrush reacts to certain pressures and movements, especially if you're using double action. I did that for some time before doing my first kit. Damn, it was a BLAST!