Mystery Valk Scavenger Hunt

Skull-1

With all the talk about the 1/100 Toynami......

I am reminded of a Valkyrie I bought when I was a kid at the local drug store.

- It was roughly 1/100 or 1/72 scale (I think the latter).

- It was all gray and as I recall did not have a clear canopy but rather a black painted one with gray canopy lines.

- It had Roy's markings on it.

- The feet were metal I believe...

- It may or may not have had an "S" head on it. It coulda' been a "J".

- It was fully transformable.

I screwed mine up when I tried to repaint the wing stripes after they had worn off some. Man do I regret not still having it.

It kinda' reminded me of a miniature Bandai...

What was it? Anyone know? It was a REALLY cool toy.

Edited by Skull-1

I'm not sure...

It was grey, not white and I don't remember if it had the skull on the canopy...

Are the feet metal?

Edited by Skull-1

I'm not sure...

It was grey, not white and I font remember if it had the skull on the canopy...

Are the feet metal?

424612[/snapback]

Yes, the feet were metal on these. These were boots of the Taka/Bandai 1/100. I had a 1S version as a kid, my friend had a 1J. I recently sold this one in the picture to Kanata.

post-873-1155430534_thumb.jpg

That must have been it then.

It was a bootleg for sure but came in a box. It was packaged in fighter mode.

What do those things cost these days?

That must have been it then.

It was a bootleg for sure but came in a box.  It was packaged in fighter mode.

What do those things cost these days?

424624[/snapback]

The ones that came packaged in fighter mode were called "Hawk Fighter". These generally go from $10-30.00 these days, depending on condition and what it comes with. I sold the one in the picture for $20.00 shipped, same as what I paid for it.

Yep, you're talking about my childhood here too :). I was not well off enough as a kid to be able to get an import 1/55 or a jetfire, so I had to make do with the $10.00 1/100 bootlegs. As far as I was concerned at that point, it was just about the coolest toy ever. I played the hell out of my 1S, and broke both shoulder joints within a couple of months. Sadly, my superglue fixes would never last through a transformation. Heavy nostalgia with these things for me.

Don't know about major retailers, but mine came from a little gift shop across the street from my school which had a lot of imported bootleg things like Sanrio stuff and transformers (I seem to remember lusting after a bootleg soundwave that they had too) .

My local toystore (Karl's Toys) had Takatoku valks, Orguss, and Dorvack toys, Gakken Mospeada stuff, all alongside the transformers stuff. Never could afford any of that though as a kid, so boots and model kits were pretty much it for me.

Edited by Hiriyu

I swear I saw one of these at a Pic-and-Save in Modesto, CA when I was a kid. My horrible were-batty of a mom didn't get it for me even though I begged. It was about 1/100 scale too, and packed in fighter mode, but it looked like cannon-fodder colors.

Did the bootlegs ever come in cannon-fodder colors, or am I crazy?

Don't know about major retailers, but mine came from a little gift shop across the street from my school which had a lot of imported bootleg things like Sanrio stuff and transformers (I seem to remember lusting after a bootleg soundwave that they had too) .

My local toystore (Karl's Toys) had Takatoku valks, Orguss, and Dorvack toys, Gakken Mospeada stuff, all alongside the transformers stuff. Never could afford any of that though as a kid, so boots and model kits were pretty much it for me.

424920[/snapback]

this soooooo brings back memories. Was the toy store karls toys and hobbies? I remember that store in the cerritos mall. Had all the import toys like godaikins, takatokus, ect......Totally awesome store. My heart would race when my mom said we were going to the cerritos mall. Damn, Im started to get excited now just thinking about it. EEEEEEEEE!

I swear I saw one of these at a Pic-and-Save in Modesto, CA when I was a kid. My horrible were-batty of a mom didn't get it for me even though I begged. It was about 1/100 scale too, and packed in fighter mode, but it looked like cannon-fodder colors.

Did the bootlegs ever come in cannon-fodder colors, or am I crazy?

424952[/snapback]

Yes, they made the 1/100 bootlegs in CF colors. But you being crazy is still debatable. J/K :p

post-3155-1155539114_thumb.jpg

post-3155-1155539123_thumb.jpg

LL Cool VF1J,

Yes it was a store in the same chain, but mine was in the Pasadena Mall. There was another one at the Arcadia Mall. That place was great, especially when they had markdown blowouts on model kits and stuff (I'm still kicking myself for not having picked up that $4.95 1/40 Orguss Bronco II kit that they had). They hosted model contests which I entered frequently, and displayed everybody's models in the main glass display case/counter. In my eyes, other toy chains like KB just could not compete. Later, they had a full-on skateshop too, which dovetailed nicely with my changing interests :)

Danth, not sure if those boots were available as CFs, at least, I've never seen one to my recollection. Maybe someone else knows? *edit, doh, ^^ *

Edited by Hiriyu