New 1/48 Angel Birds Valk By Yamato

Dante74

I love my Angelbirds VF-1. I thought I wasn't going to like it at all but man, it's great. It looks really nice in the GBP-1 as well. I'll be postin' a pic or two here once I get the review all done for my site. Sadly, mine did come with a very loose airbrake... but it's no biggy

so after opening up the box and really looking at it, theres quite a few things that i have issues with.

1. the plastic is not of the same quality as previous valks. i know this sounds silly but i compared the 2 plastics and the AB plastic is almost the same as the MPC hikaru.

2. the blue paint easily chips and scrapes off. i went to TF it into gerwalk mode but as soon as i released the legs, i noticed the blue paint was already coming off the hips. they should've molded the hip pieces in blue like the 1J max since its a wear and tear area but no.

3. be careful folding the tailfins down for battroid/gerwalk modes. normally you can just flip them closed but if you do it with the AB, you'll be left with blue paint on the inside of the tailfin since they scrape together when you fold them down. its not a huge problem but still something to look out for if you don't want to touch up the blue paint on the tailfins.

4. the AB is super white in comparison to the rest of the valks so part repleacements won't be easy if you break something. i also have a strong feeling this will be the first 1/48 to yellow out of all of them.

5. theres little blue marks all over this thing. its not a big deal, you can use some really fine sand paper and gently buff most of it out. whatever you do, do NOT apply any kind of liquid while you're doing it. a dry sanding will give you the best results and keep the paint from spreading.

all in all i guess its alright(at best) but i'm really questioning why i ever bought this valk to begin with? i like the fact that its unique but it definitely doesn't seem like its the same level of quality as the previous 1/48's. who knows? maybe it just me....

2. the blue paint easily chips and scrapes off. i went to TF it into gerwalk mode but as soon as i released the legs, i noticed the blue paint was already coming off the hips. they should've molded the hip pieces in blue like the 1J max since its a wear and tear area but no.

I noticed this too... it's quite a bummer.

1. the plastic is not of the same quality as previous valks. i know this sounds silly but i compared the 2 plastics and the AB plastic is almost the same as the MPC hikaru.

I handled my AB at the same time as a Stealth and an LVII and didn't notice any differences in the plastic quality. I did notice that the AB is as bleached a white as they come though. In some of my pictures it was difficult to tell where the AB ended and where the white background began.

I handled my AB at the same time as a Stealth and an LVII and didn't notice any differences in the plastic quality. I did notice that the AB is as bleached a white as they come though. In some of my pictures it was difficult to tell where the AB ended and where the white background began.

maybe it just me? but if you tap the plastic with your fingernail you can hear the difference between them and if you compare the DYRL hands and you'll also be able to tell the difference. i know thats sounds strange but check it out when you get a chance.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi there ppl,

Sorry for bumping this really old thread, but I am in the midst of getting the Angel Bird (2nd Edition) and I wonder if any of you guys already had the 2nd edition and what is your comments and feedbacks on this toy?

I have visited anymoon.com and the feedback there did gave me indication of the toy overall. But I am shooting for any second opinions here. Valks are really expensive in my countr so I have to be very careful with my money.

Thanks heaps ppl. B))

I have 2 angel birds and they are both problem free. I bought one when they first came out, and the other about a yr ago. All of the later 1/48's are trouble free. The only troubles I've had with any of the 1/48's (I own a version of them all) is the well chronicled crooked skull logo on the tailfins, and a broken backpack when one of my valks took a dive from my computer desk.

:edit:

heh heh

i thought they were doing the red'er striped version that we saw as a custom when i first read the title of this thread.

My angel bird is so tight it makes me blush. Deffinently the most problem free 48' scale valk i got and fittingly the last i purchased, that is, if i don't get my hands on the Roy weathered limited. :) If you want a valk just to pose in fighter mode, this is the one. pretty. I will NOT get a 1/60 scale version, coz the 1/48 scale is all about fighter mode.

.... edited coz rum and long day at work = confused aussie.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I imagine what was meant to be said is that he's getting an Angelbird (which is a 2nd edition 1/48 with the fixed nosecone, flaps, and landing gear doors).

Oh hey, if he got the info from my site, that's DEFINITELY what he meant to say. There's still just been one issuing of that paint scheme.

There isn't a Kakizake reissue happening is there? I refuse to believe that. Where are you getting this info Ruskii? All I've seen is that some people have them on sale... and that's because they couldn't sell the first release.

Edited by jenius

Yes sir! I got the info from your site ^_^ . The review was very comprehensive and straight to the point. Just I'm kinda needed extra opinions here to MAKE me decide on the Angel Bird. :lol: :lol:

To be frank, your review had swayed me 70% to get one, but I need to have the 100% sure buy feeling before I take the plunge. Like I said, in my country, you probably need to sell a kidney to afford a Valk and I just sold my right one last month getting the 25th Anni VF-1S (Kidding!!...but you get the point) :p :P

Edited by TCracker

I imagine what was meant to be said is that he's getting an Angelbird (which is a 2nd edition 1/48 with the fixed nosecone, flaps, and landing gear doors).

Oh hey, if he got the info from my site, that's DEFINITELY what he meant to say. There's still just been one issuing of that paint scheme.

There isn't a Kakizake reissue happening is there? I refuse to believe that. Where are you getting this info Ruskii? All I've seen is that some people have them on sale... and that's because they couldn't sell the first release.

uhh... hmmmm, whoops! I thought re-issues. >_< sorry sorry long day. :-#

They actually had kaki and angel bird on sale a little while back also.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie