Death Note Live Action

yess....its finally here...the manga was soo good...its not a surprise that they would do a live action just after the manga ended recently....fsuih!

aaajin

396215[/snapback]

How many volumes did the manga have?

LOL did you know that they banned school kids in Japan from bringing DEATH NOTES to school?

Kinda disturbing isn't it....... :huh:

*writes aajin's name on a pink flowery notebook*

This is my Hippy Life Book. :lol:

I just cant understand why its disturbing..is it because the comic kinda show that the villains can triumph over good guys (Kira vs L)...I can understand if they ban Gantz in the schools though....LOL..

oh yeah, I think it ended at volume 106 or 105....somewhere there...you can find the scanlations fairly easily on the net BTW....I must say, this is one of the greatest manga Ive ever read...but hte ending kinda sucks a bit...but still, a 5 star manga just like Gantz.

aaajin

Edited by aaajin

Oh i meant volumes as in the graphic novels themselves, not the chapters when they were printed on those paperback monthly comics. Mebbe scanlations would do.

Oh i meant disturbing cause schools banned the actual "DEATH NOTES" itself. Students are known to bring black books with the words "DEATH NOTE" on it and in it are written names of people they disliked and put into their lockers, as if its an actual death threat in itself. I dunno, i find that kinda disturbing.

WTH? What is the Red Hot Chili Pepper's single "Dani California" doing in that trailer? Bizzare match for a film like that, though I suppose it makes little difference when the audience can't understand english :)

• 1 year later...

death note the movie is GOOD. i like the anime version better, except for the episodes where they had cheap L clones, N & M.

i don't think anybody liked the endin' of death note (anime, manga, movie). i was goin' to read the manga 'cause i hated the anime's endin' but ppl said the manga's endin' isn't any better.

so for me, the movie is good and the anime is good until ep. 14 or 15. so to me the series ends with ep. 25 with first 12-14 episodes bein' the best episodes (the series get good once again once light gets his death note powers back, not that it suxed but it just wasn't the same series with light powerless).

i rank death note up there with sdf macross for me (pretendin' that N & M never existed)... sorry naruto, sorry bleach.

Saw parts of the live action. Thought they had horrible actors, but then again, I'm comparing it to the only other live-action adaption I've seen: GTO, which I thought was fantastic. However I never watched the anime or read the manga of GTO.

I preferred the anime to the movie. Light doesn't seem like Light at all in the movie, to me. He doesn't have the same wit or intelligence.

L was really creepy, he was pretty good, although he lacked any charm the manga or anime version had. Can't beat Yamaguchi Kappei's performance as L.

I couldn't watch through the whole movie.

I'll probably dislike the Higurashi movie if I ever get around to watching it after it comes out (still need to finish watching season 2 of the anime).

here's a link to the higurashi movie page, it's in Japanese: higurashi movie

Edited by Sumdumgai

Saw parts of the live action. Thought they had horrible actors, but then again, I'm comparing it to the only other live-action adaption I've seen: GTO, which I thought was fantastic. However I never watched the anime or read the manga of GTO.

I preferred the anime to the movie. Light doesn't seem like Light at all in the movie, to me. He doesn't have the same wit or intelligence.

L was really creepy, he was pretty good, although he lacked any charm the manga or anime version had. Can't beat Yamaguchi Kappei's performance as L.

I couldn't watch through the whole movie.

I'll probably dislike the Higurashi movie if I ever get around to watching it after it comes out (still need to finish watching season 2 of the anime).

everybody say that light wasn't himself in the movie. i had heard from others that they turned light into a "wimp/wuss". he didn't seem weak to me but they could have portrayed him better.

for me i liked seein' ryuk as live action/cgi and an actor who looked just like L (even if it was crunchyroll's low quality vid). but the live action movie doesn't compare to the anime, i won't even start on the stuff that they changed.

so maybe i should say it was an ok movie for any death note fan to watch. it's not the best but it doesn't sux either. at least when compared to other things i've liked like tomb raider and x-men and seen them "changed and altered" for a movie version (mostly x-men, at least spider-man sorta stayed closer to its roots, at first).

Death Note Manga was so addictive untill L dies...it went down hill after that. I was hoping L was faking it and come back to put Light away. I hated the ending of the manga too.

I saw the movie first which in turn lead to me watching the anime (on Cartoon Network no less so I don't even know what is being butchered) and so now I wanna get a version with good subs, and I might wanna track down scanlations also. I would have to say that for a condensed version of the anime or even manga, it was still a great watch. I showed my sister this movie who isn't really into anything Japanese and she thoroughly enjoyed it herself (and imagine her reaction when I told her The Ring was originally a japanese movie). Intelligient writing and she even liked the ending. I myself thought the ending could've been better, and felt it was a bit rushed, but still a great movie IMO... I mean if you watch anime or JDoramas, it's almost a given that most endings will be disappointing, but nevertheless the writing and character development is usually better than anything we see here in the US (that is if you have the patience to watch anything Japanese).

I saw the movie first which in turn lead to me watching the anime (on Cartoon Network no less so I don't even know what is being butchered) and so now I wanna get a version with good subs, and I might wanna track down scanlations also. I would have to say that for a condensed version of the anime or even manga, it was still a great watch. I showed my sister this movie who isn't really into anything Japanese and she thoroughly enjoyed it herself (and imagine her reaction when I told her The Ring was originally a japanese movie). Intelligient writing and she even liked the ending. I myself thought the ending could've been better, and felt it was a bit rushed, but still a great movie IMO... I mean if you watch anime or JDoramas, it's almost a given that most endings will be disappointing, but nevertheless the writing and character development is usually better than anything we see here in the US (that is if you have the patience to watch anything Japanese).

lol, i have the uk dvd of ringu, ringu 2 (this suxs don't watch it, raesen suxs too i hear) and ring 0 birthday (not as good as ringu but it's still a pretty good movie). i bought the u.s. sub version of ringu 'cause my uk dvd has bad subs where i can't read them if their is alot of white in the picture.

back on topic. movie wise, i thought death note was a good movie. i've seen terrible japanese movies (ringu 2) so, no, i don't think any movie with subs is good (this is more aimed at the troll who tried to troll me in another thread).

Does the manga end at the same point as the anime? Or is there more to it?

no, the anime doesn't show the last 1 or 2 chapters of the manga (where it shows those who survived talkin' and whatever, i haven't read it).

no, the anime doesn't show the last 1 or 2 chapters of the manga (where it shows those who survived talkin' and whatever, i haven't read it).

You mean volume 13, "Death Note: How to Read"... most people consider 12 the ending and 13 just an epilogue even the English release at least made that clear. And I'm going to disagree that the manga goes way downhill after L dies, I think it slowed down a bit before that with the whole Higuchi thing; and picked up again when L dies and after. But that it was necessary from a philosophical stand point for the author to show us what would happen if the Death Note was in the hands of someone with less noble intent then Light, and then to show us what the world created by Light would be like.

I actually enjoyed the whole thing with Near and Mello.

Edited by lord_breetai

I wanted to write Misa in the Death Note on a number of occasions :rolleyes:

I actually hoped the FBI agent's wive (in manga) would have longer screen time. She was a very likable character.

Argh, Matsuda. I wanted to write his name in the Death Note (at least the anime/manga version) and be creative. ;)
Edited by Mowe

You mean volume 13, "Death Note: How to Read"... most people consider 12 the ending and 13 just an epilogue even the English release at least made that clear. And I'm going to disagree that the manga goes way downhill after L dies, I think it slowed down a bit before that with the whole Higuchi thing; and picked up again when L dies and after. But that it was necessary from a philosophical stand point for the author to show us what would happen if the Death Note was in the hands of someone with less noble intent then Light, and then to show us what the world created by Light would be like.

I actually enjoyed the whole thing with Near and Mello.

i don't read manga so i don't know what happens. the anime didn't go downhill for me after L died, they just left me disappointed after i watch episode 37. i really didn't like N so i wanted light to win.

plus, i didn't like the death note author's reasoning for light defeat (forgin' an entire death note?!? he could have came up with something better then that but that is a topic for another thread)

I wanted to write Misa in the Death Note on a number of occasions :rolleyes:

I actually hoped the FBI agent's wive (in manga) would have longer screen time. She was a very likable character.

i guess that i'm the only person who liked misa misa. she was cool. she didn't get on my nerves like sakura's weak ass "watchin'" naturo & sasuke do all the fightin' or rukia tellin' ichigo to "let her die and go back home". thankfully, sakura and rukia are finally strong and not weak.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

i don't read manga so i don't know what happens. the anime didn't go downhill for me after L died, they just left me disappointed after i watch episode 37. i really didn't like N so i wanted light to win. plus, i didn't like the death note author's reasoning for light defeat (forgin' an entire death note?!? he could have came up with something better then that but that is a topic for another thread).

Misa's my favorite character too... and I agree that I didn't like how Light lost but not because of the forged Death Note but because

Not sure if this was in the anime or not but in the manga it's Teru's fault that he lost for not following light's directions properly if Teru had obeyed light SPK would never have found the real death note.

Edited by lord_breetai

Misa's my favorite character too... and I agree that I didn't like how Light lost but not because of the forged Death Note but because

Not sure if this was in the anime or not but in the manga it's Teru's fault that he lost for not following light's directions properly if Teru had obeyed light SPK would never have found the real death note.

It was in the anime as well. I took it as Light's fault for relying on others too much instead of himself. He also got too caught up in misinformation and not communicating enough to Mikami. It was admirable that Light was able to keep up the balancing act of being Light Yagami, detective, and Kira, the "shin sekai no kami". Mikami was a freak too.

:lol:

I liked Misa at times, I was annoyed with her at times. Ryuk, L, Near, and Light's Dad were my favorite characters. Heh, I absolutely love my Ryuk Nendoroid figure. I keep opening and closing his mouth and leaving him with his mouth in different positions of open and closed. :)

Light was one of my favorite characters until he set up his Dad to be killed. That effectively dropped him from being a favorite character for me.