Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman

Ladic

Beckinsale Joins 'Wonder Woman' Race

Kate Beckinsale has reportedly joined the race to play Wonder Woman in Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon's upcoming comic book movie. The British actress is in negotiations with Whedon, according to movie gossip website joblo.com. Insiders claim Whedon is "very happy" with Beckinsale and confirmed last week that production on his highly anticipated movie adaptation of the popular comic book series will begin filming in early September. Buffy stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and Charisma Carpenter, and teen queen Lindsay Lohan have been linked to the coveted role - which was played on TV by Lynda Carter. Former hot favorite Carpenter even remarked she was putting off having a second baby in the hope of landing the dream role. She recently told a reporter, "I'd like to (have another baby) eventually, but I want Wonder Woman right now. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm crossing my fingers and toes and praying."

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-04-04/

I seriously can't see any of the lists slurms.... OOPS! I mean actresses playing that part well at all!

Kates way too small as is Gellar and neither could act their ways outta a box. Charisma is yer basic Maxim slurm and with her career pfft... LOL! not to mention that's she's too lod for the pick AND she is also to short. Lohan's a teen star, far to young for the role and is also not leggy enough and also far too short.

But all that aside Kate is probably the 'best-fit' outta of all of them do to her toned condition and age. I still expect Whedon to write a comical script that'll make the upcoming Superman Returns movie look like McBeck(spl).

I agree Kate Beckinsale is way too short for the role.

An actress has to be at LEAST 6'6" to be considered for the part of Diana.  She's a freaking Amazon for Christ's sake. Maybe a Russian-unknown?

387629[/snapback]

Well both kate Beckinsale and Charisma Carpenter are about 5'8". The problems with getting a woman that's 6'6" is that there's no way that Diana would be able to assimilate into society and have a secret identity. Besides do they ever portray her as that tall in the comics?

I love Kate.  And at least she's more the classical, statuesque beauty needed to play Wonder Woman than the other names mentioned.  But I'd much rather see Lucy Lawless in the role.  Come on, now there's Amazon if I've ever seen one.

387640[/snapback]

Lucy Lawless is only 5'10" so not much taller than the other two. Also she's freaking old now. She's like 38 years old.

I'd rather see Kate or Charisma in the role.

They should really use an unknown, someone that won't leave the project after one movie, or they're so famous that they start to make they're insane demands over the cost of the character or story. You want someone hungry for the role not some primadonna that thinks she needs a good franchise to destroy. *cough cough* Halle Berry*cough cough*

AS far as looks, she should look something like this!

MP1311.jpg

MP1346.jpg

Edited by >EXO<

Lucy Lawless is only 5'10" so not much taller than the other two.  Also she's freaking old now.  She's like 38 years old.

I'd rather see Kate or Charisma in the role.

387683[/snapback]

Height's not a big deal. 5' 10" is plenty tall and we're not going to find any attractive actresses measuring at 6' 6". Height can also be compensated by what other actors/actresses are cast alongside the main actress, not to mention that Wonder Woman never looked freakishly tall in the comics. Lawless looked pretty decent in some of the shots I saw of her that were taken somewhat recently, and Alex Ross tends to portray WW a bit on the more mature side, anyway. It could work, except for our modern day obssession with cutesy teenage youth over statuesque womanliness. Some goes on the male side of things, where we have Superman portrayed as a skinny, metro post-teen instead of the stuff we had in a square-jawed Christopher Reeves.

From the one picture I saw of Charisma, she looks nothing like Wonder Woman-- well at least nothing like the classic statuesque Wonder Woman portrayed through most of comics. But I think I could at least take Kate seriously for the role-- she's actually a solid actress with great physicality to boot.

In retrospect I suppose finding someone 6'6" is a bit of a stretch but there really shouldn't be a problem with finding someone at least 6'. Like I said before, perhaps a Russian-unknown. Russian girls can get pretty tall I think, and they definitely are quite tasty.

They should really use an unknown, someone that won't leave the project after one movie, or they're so famous that they start to make they're insane demands over the cost of the character or story.  You want someone hungry for the role not some primadonna that thinks she needs a good franchise to destroy. *cough cough* Halle Berry*cough cough*

387692[/snapback]

Now now EXO you are not trying to get your girlfriend to play the part are you thouh she is hot,hot,hot heh, heh, wink wink. :p;)

Edited by azrael

Ugh. As far as I am concerned, Kate Beckinsale is the kiss of death for a movie. She can't act worth a damn and she ain't all that looks-wise. :rolleyes:

I am hoping they pick an unknown for WW. If they could find a woman that is looks like a genetic blend of Lucy Lawless and Monica Bellucci then I'll have hope. If she can act, so much the better! :lol:

They should really use an unknown, someone that won't leave the project after one movie, or they're so famous that they start to make they're insane demands over the cost of the character or story.  You want someone hungry for the role not some primadonna that thinks she needs a good franchise to destroy. *cough cough* Halle Berry*cough cough*

387692[/snapback]

Not bad. Not bad at all.....

Edited by azrael

... but please, take the pics off your reply posts, VF-18S Hornet and terry the lone wolf. We only need to see the same pics once on the thread.

387769[/snapback]

Are you happy now????

Whedon is famous for finding unknowns. I think he'll look for someone who can act the part he's writing more than the looks.

Which begs the question....is he done with the script yet?

I'd much rather see Lucy Lawless in the role.  Come on, now there's Amazon if I've ever seen one.

That's not a woman that's a MAN, baby!

No Christopher Reeve = no good Superman. No Linda Carter = no good Wonder Woman...

I'd much rather see Lucy Lawless in the role.  Come on, now there's Amazon if I've ever seen one.

.......No Christopher Reeve = no good Superman. No Linda Carter = no good Wonder Woman...

387886[/snapback]

I agree that finding a 6'6" woman maybe hard but the Actress should be around 6'. Linda Carter was perfect for the role. in the comics Wonder Woman is just as tall as Batman and just a bit shorter than Superman (Alex Ross books). I always hope they use unknowns -an unknown actor/actress I think is willing to portray the characyer better, really get into the role. Hollywood EGOS just about always get in the way and then everbody hates the flick.

In retrospect I suppose finding someone 6'6" is a bit of a stretch but there really shouldn't be a problem with finding someone at least 6'.  Like I said before, perhaps a Russian-unknown.  Russian girls can get pretty tall I think, and they definitely are quite tasty.

387707[/snapback]

Again, height's really not an issue on screen. I mean we're able to make Elija Wood look 4 feet tall and John Rhys-Davies convincing as a dwarf. What matters most is their actual physique, muscle tone, and the way they carry themselves. But unknowns are good. I'd rather they speak perfect English, however.

And that gal Exo posted has way too much stuff going on to be taken serously. :p

Ugh. As far as I am concerned, Kate Beckinsale is the kiss of death for a movie. She can't act worth a damn and she ain't all that looks-wise.

We so cannot be friends.

I actually find her consistently being the highlight of bad movies, and I'm always wondering what the heck she's even doing there in the first place.

I'm probably one of the few that still thinks Wonder Woman should be more woman than girl, and should have just a tiny bit of a matriachial thing going on, but Durance... in that picture she's insanely cute. And Davalos was awesome, WW or not.

Edited by Sundown

I agree Kate Beckinsale is way too short for the role.

An actress has to be at LEAST 6'6" to be considered for the part of Diana.  She's a freaking Amazon for Christ's sake. Maybe a Russian-unknown?

387629[/snapback]

Remember... Schwarzennegger's a little dude and they make him look like a big ass SOB on film. So why not Beckinsale? She's definitely hot enough!

Edited by Skullsixx

I just can't see these girls you guys mention as WW... maybe if Monica Belluci was 10-12 years younger.

387972[/snapback]

Heck, I can see Monica Belluci, even now. Again, doesn't need to be some little young starlet to do Wonder Woman, but Belluci does at least have the strong, womanly features Carter had and can look the part even at a younger age.

Really, she's not.

So not friends. :ph34r:

I have to say Kate's got a lot more going on as a whole than most of the Maxim dressings posted here so far. Still, there are probably better choices out there especially unknowns, even if Kate beats "Freckles" from Lost who was rumored to have a shot at the part.

The problem with an extremely tall actress (I'd say anything above 5'10 to 6 feet tall is pushing it) is it limits the number of male actors who can be casted as the obligatory 'love interest'

388196[/snapback]

Easy fix for that: just make her a lesbian.

It's kinda funny that several people think that WW should be a non-American. ;)

I'm really surprised that few people have wanted to get a greek or Med. actress for the part! Ever since I heard that they were doing a WW movie I'd have thought that they would use the obvious source material for iconic women.

Catherine Zeta-Jones would've been great for the role 5-7 years ago, but she's alot of what made her beautiful handsome. Katey Homles would've also been a descent pick in 2-3 years, but she's hooked up with that couch jumper.

It's kinda funny that several people think that WW should be a non-American. ;)

I'm really surprised that few people have wanted to get a greek or Med. actress for the part! Ever since I heard that they were doing a WW movie I'd have thought that they would use the obvious source material for iconic women.

388246[/snapback]

Going Greek/Mediterranean would be a logical move, yes, but I was thinking Russian strictly for physical reasons. But like most everyone here has pointed out, Hollywood can make anyone tall or short. Computers have ruined everything.