Hostel Movie

Viceland

I usually wait until movies come to DVD so I can watch them at home, mostly cause the theater is so expensive. A few months ago, I rented Saw, which I enjoyed, but my girlfriend did not. She can't handle those movies, she keeps running off into the kitchen and then yells out "what's happening now?", she'll only come back once the screen is clear of gore. Even a bit a blood will cause this, it's annoying. She was genuinely pissed I had rented that movie and had not warned her in advance about what it was. She made me promise I would't bring another movie like that home when she was around. Now, she actually surfs the web for upcoming movies that are potentially too hot for her to handle so she can put them in a "no renting" list. She came up to me today and said "Hostel, NO NO NO!". After I figured out it was a movie (of which I never heard of yet), I went online for reviews and trailers. Pretty nasty shite! I told her I was definitely seeing it, but would rent it when she wasn't around.

Reviews:

http://www.moviesonline.ca/film2417.htm

9 Clips, not for the kids, and the faint of heart:

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_6828.html

Who's up for an Eastern European backpacking vacation?

I am the following:

A Horror Movie fan

A "B" Movie Fan

A Comedy Movie fan

Cabin Fever touched me in all the right places, I still laugh my ass off every time I watch that movie, So I was going to see Hostel no matter what.

For some reason this movie has got some kind of strange vibe from the advertising going around that dissuaded everyone I know from going to see it. They said "I don't think I can watch a movie "like that" " It's a movie about torture right?

I went and saw it with my brother openning weekend and I thought that movie kicked ass. Here is how I am pitching it to people now,

Contrary to the advertisements this is not a balls to the wall slasher flick, yes, a some people get destroyed, it is a horror movie. Go into this movie expecting the following: 40 minutes of jiggling boobies, 20 minutes of torture - horror - 30 minutes of comedy/vengeance and action/suspence. It is not an hour and a half of people getting their toes snipped off with channel locks, far from it. Yes there is blood, it is a horror movie.

Baed solely upoon the ads, you would think that the movie is an hour and a half of seriously bad things happening constantly, but really, the movie is far from that. I enjoyed it, but I am biased, again I think Eli Roth made a fun movie for horror fans and I hope he gets to keep making them.

I am the following:

A Horror Movie fan

A "B" Movie Fan

A Comedy Movie fan

Cabin Fever touched me in all the right places, I still laugh my ass off every time I watch that movie, So I was going to see Hostel no matter what.

359635[/snapback]

:lol: PANCAKES!

I am gonna go see it too.

Edited by Zor Primus

it's suppose to be, feel and look like a B rated movie ... 80s style ... whatcha' all expect ... LOL.

definitely a cult movie ... in the ranks of evil dead, 2 and army of darkness with a mixture of chainsaw mas .... or i don't know what the hell i'm talking about.

but you know the scary thing is ... this movie can be true ... you know that in some remote places on earth ... they have this type of business going.

scary.

I just never thought that Tarantino would continue this type of movie, the "violence with no purpose but to distress, degrade and disgust" genre. Yeah, I don't pay much attention to B-type media, but I thought we had moved past this kind of trash...

And gosh I hated Cabin Fever. It was just retarded, I know they were trying to be funny at times, but they failed it. That's why I'm staying away from this one.

Viceland you need to tell your girlfriend to chill, seriously. If she doesn't want to see it she can be somewhere else when you do. There's no good reason why she has to force you not to see it if she's a wuss.

Viceland you need to tell your girlfriend to chill, seriously.  If she doesn't want to see it she can be somewhere else when you do.  There's no good reason why she has to force you not to see it if she's a wuss.

360001[/snapback]

Believe me, she's not forcing me not to see anything, but she would rather I not rent these on our "cuddle & movie" ( :rolleyes: ) nights. Anyways, she's mostly just having fun with the list to tease/annoy me. I mean, she loves movies about trying to catch serial killers like the Hannibal movies, Seven, Kiss the girls, Bone Collector, Suspect Zero, etc. (those still make her run to the kitchen, just not as bad), but Saw was a little too much for her. I already watch horror flicks that contains gore alone (she'll watch gore-free horror), so that rule was already in effect. Now I also need to make sure to check the gore level of her beloved suspense thrillers types like I listed above before she'll even sit down to watch.

Edited by Viceland

Gore free horror?  Kinda' hard to feel fear if you've got nothing to be afraid of...

360323[/snapback]

If someone out there would learn how to shoot a horror movie properly, then you would not need the gore. If a director can get you to use your mind to imagine a certain scene, then what you conjure up would be way worse than what some special effects wiz can think up.

Like Alien? What I loved about that movie is that you never actually clearly SEE the Alien; it's mostly shadows and screams and it is scary as hell. That movie was nothing short of revolutionary in its time, and I do not believe it would be possible to repeat its success. Why? Largely because audiences are dumb, but they are also desensitized to the point that they need to see gore in order to be moved. An intelligently written, thought provoking and sensory tickling masterpiece like Alien would be wasted on the novacained brains in today's movie audiences...

And besides, people just love to watch other people suffer!