Playing Psx Macross Games On Dreamcast

jwinges

I've heard there are some emulators that can be run on the dreamcast to play psx titles.  Has anyone tried this?  I'm thinking about playing VFX, VFX2, and DYRL PSX games on a dreamcast via emulator.  Previously I've played these on a PC with an emulator.

358293[/snapback]

I know there was a third party who made these boot disks.

They were called bleemcast by bleem!, and the disks were game specific.

To my knowledge, only two games were done. They were Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Tourismo.

Since there were a NA company, I doubt they made any for import games.

Oh, and bleem! has since gone under, mostly from Sony suing them to oblivion.

What you want is called "Bleemcast Beta"

VF-X2 is the only macross game that works well with it.

Unfortunately you cannot save your games on it but, VF-X2 does look better on the Dreamcast than on the PS1.

You can find it by going on google and typing in "bleemcast.zip"

If anyone ever needs video game info for Macross games let me know!

BTW: I am currently enjoying Scrambled Valkyrie on my PSP!

dreamcast was great at emulating every system before it... but not for competeing systems. Genisis, sure, coleco, atari, nintendo, snes, master system, old mame, etc... but psx was a bit to much for it to do well. X-box on the other hand does psx1 just fine, as well as every system built before it... see a trend there? ;)

wait... why are you trying to do macross games on a dreamcast anyways?!?!? A modded psx1, psx2, or x-box should be easily availible and the psx controller was sooooo much nicer for the game than a dreamcast controller ever would be.

dreamcast was great at emulating every system before it... but not for competeing systems. Genisis, sure, coleco, atari, nintendo, snes, master system, old mame, etc... but psx was a bit to much for it to do well. X-box on the other hand does psx1 just fine, as well as every system built before it... see a trend there? ;)

wait... why are you trying to do macross games on a dreamcast anyways?!?!? A modded psx1, psx2, or x-box should be easily availible and the psx controller was sooooo much nicer for the game than a dreamcast controller ever would be.

358462[/snapback]

A couple of reasons. First just to try it. but also because I want to replay Macross DYRL, VFX, VFX2, and Macross Plus on something other than my PC> My ps2 has a flip top but I don't think there are any swap disks that can play ps1 imports. I heard zoneloader might work but its a longshot. My x-box is unmodded.

What you want is called "Bleemcast Beta"

VF-X2 is the only macross game that works well with it.

Unfortunately you cannot save your games on it but, VF-X2 does look better on the Dreamcast than on the PS1.

You can find it by going on google and typing in "bleemcast.zip"

If anyone ever needs video game info for Macross games let me know!

BTW: I am currently enjoying Scrambled Valkyrie on my PSP!

Of course, ePSXe and PSXeven provide graphical boosts too. AND let you save. :p

Actually, the DC doesn't emu the SNES very well. Tends to have trouble keeping up.

Genesis was about the max that could be pulled off without someone expending the effort to create a new DC-optimized emu instead of porting an existing emu.

Which in the SNES' case was the sluggish SNES9x(development seemed to have been going in this direction, but all 4 emus stalled out before they got there).

And with all the DC SNES stuff dead, the improvements being made to SNES emus NOW(SNES emulation is a LOT worse than it looks at first glance) aren't being integrated.

My ps2 has a flip top but I don't think there are any swap disks that can play ps1 imports.

Use a PS2 compatible PS1 Gameshark (try saying that 10 times fast) or an Action Replay on your flip top. The only imports/backups that it won't work too good on are those with Redbook audio, fortunately very few games (first gen) use that format.

My ps2 has a flip top but I don't think there are any swap disks that can play ps1 imports.

Use a PS2 compatible PS1 Gameshark (try saying that 10 times fast) or an Action Replay on your flip top. The only imports/backups that it won't work too good on are those with Redbook audio, fortunately very few games (first gen) use that format.

359206[/snapback]

Actually, while not mainstream, it WAS a sustained practice through the entire system's life.

Bust-A-Move 99, for example, has a redbook audio soundtrack.

And in a shining example of why most people got over it fast, the music pauses for a second every time it loops, and the lead-in to the song has to be replayed because you can't easily cue to an arbitrary point inside the song.

Even when you use streaming audio, there's better formats than redbook for video games.

You can actually see the lesson learned multiple times on multiple systems. The PS was just the last system people learned it on.

Anybody know if the macross games had redbook audio?

359322[/snapback]

The cue sheet on my reet warez copy of VFX2 has an audio track defined(actually one and a half. I have a broken cue sheet.).

It has at least one redbook track. If I had to bet, I'd say the intro/end is redbook and the rest is something else, but that's just a guess.

DYRL PS has no redbook that I see.

Edited by JB0

Anybody know if the macross games had redbook audio?

359322[/snapback]

The cue sheet on my reet warez copy of VFX2 has an audio track defined(actually one and a half. I have a broken cue sheet.).

I just found something called breaker pro that I'm going to try. Supposedly it was designed to load ps1 import, import backups, and regular backups on a ps2 or ps1 system. I'll give that a try first. then I'll try finding other things that work if that does not.

Macross VFX has one redbook audio track, but it's the traditional "This is a Playstation disc, please do not play it in your CD player" track. I can't vouch for Macross Plus: Game Edition since I don't have it, but the rest of the Macross PSX games should work fine if you load them through a GameShark\Action Replay.

edit: Before you plunk down money for the Breaker Pro, try rummaging through EB's or GameStop's used bin. You can usually find a PS2 compatible PS1 GS\AR for dirt cheap.

Edited by TheLoneWolf