Lego Anime-style

JELEINEN

Since Lego now has a design program that allows you to custom order the set you want to build, maybe someday we will be able to purchase only the pieces needed to build these, rather than buying a hundred sets for a few parts in each. I'm not sure how fast they are adding parts to the database though.

347517[/snapback]

It's called Lego Factory, a free downloadable program. I've tried it, but there are still many limitations; however, it is still relatively new, and improvements are being made all the time. The beauty of it is that one can create whatever he wants, within the parameters of the parts pallette, colors, and part-to-part fit properties. Once these are expanded, I think it will be one of their best marketing tools; after all, who wouldn't like to design their own stuff and have the parts for that custom set sent directly to them. It's a great way to get some of the more rare parts that are expensive to purchase on Bricklink, an international online Lego marketplace. Too, the better designs, if approved by the company, will be made into actual sets. I believe 8 have already found their way onto toy shelves, albeit in combined form.

As far as Lego not fueling imagination, and the possibility of their running out of ideas, I disagree. The mecha theme is a new one, and one that has only been tried before in the Life on Mars sets, which I liked. I think there are still alot of themes left to explore: an oil drilling platform would make an interesting set, although the political implications may be cause for refrain. Such a shame that politics can even affect toys. Grrrr And as was mentioned, the Creator theme was designed with the consumer's imagination as the primary driver for building, although a main model, and subsequent secondary models are also featured. And if one desires, plain old buckets of Lego blocks with no main model are still available. IMHO, it is still the best of all toys, as with a bit of money and applied imagination, it can be any toy one desires.

I hope to illustrate this soon with a little project I'm working on. Til then, check out Brickshelf.com. Too, Google Lego Mecha Hall of Fame(LMHoF) sometime. You may be surprised.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about you guys but a lot of the joy of Lego is gone after I grew up and nolonger have the fun imagination of a child who could truely create a universe and live vicariously through the toys.

I loved creating Lego playsets and having fully thought-out characters and plots and events happening. I'd build myself intricate models with huge interiors for my characters with all sorts of features, and I could do it forever.

Then I grew up. Now the only pleasure in Lego is building and creating something and then posing it on the shelf. I can't really play or interact with my toys anymore, they just become decoration when finished, much like regular toys.