Removing Resin Release coat

DatterBoy

I've read WM Cheng's version of using comet and NB4M's version of using wool, but there are some pieces that have small detail and cracks, like hte 1D cockpit that may not get covered if I use these methods. Would a dishwasher work or would it warp the resin?

:Dat

I've read WM Cheng's version of using comet and NB4M's version of using wool, but there are some pieces that have small detail and cracks, like hte 1D cockpit that may not get covered if I use these methods.  Would a dishwasher work or would it warp the resin?

:Dat

344861[/snapback]

Dish soap is fine, or you may want to try Scalecoat (paint remover for plastic).

The heat from the dishwasher would most likely warp your piece. I recommend using Dawn dishwashing liquid and luke warm water. You can soak the piece for a bit and then have at it with an old toothbrush. Rinse the part with clean warm water and blot dry with a towel. If you want to paint the part right away then use a hair dryer on a low heat setting to finish drying off the piece and you're ready to paint.

• 1 month later...

WARNING Be carefull using brake fluids on resin it will ruin the resin. I have used brake fluid many times to remove multiple layers of paint from a plastic part with great success. A couple of months ago I tried the same tecnique for a resin piece and boy did I end up with a pickle. I mean literally the resin piece became pickled to a point where all the paint came off but the piece is no longer rigid it is more like a piece of rubber. All the detail is there but the piece is just like a pickle all rubbery and useless. I have left it on my workbench praying that it would cure out but it still has not. So be carefull using brake fluids on resin.

Brake cleaner on the other hand may work fine on resin but keep it away from plastic unless you want a big smoldering glob of goo.

You're very anti-pickle, why is this, did you have a bad experience with pickles when you were a child?

Do you ever have that dream where you're standing in sungod robes and there's thousands of naked worshipers around throwing little pickles at you... why am I the only one who has that dream (Val Kilmer, Real Genius)