Macross Plus 1/72 VF-11B

Ishimaru

I recently got my VF-11B and damn I like it and hate <_< . When I was holding the toy the leg fell off :o , I managed to super glue it back without a trace. I had trouble transforming to fighter than the other leg fell off in the outside end of the joint. Im super glueing but the crack shows :( . The toy itself is good but the legs just piss me off but I will get them fixed, should I add the decals? Any help would be fine I will post pics later once my mom's digital camera is working again well?

Dean

Better to buy the FAST pack version rather than the regular one. The FAST pack version comes with improved hip joints that have a metal pin in them and won't break unlike the regular version. And the FAST pack version also comes with a nicely sculpted pilot figure. See the review in the toy section.

Graham

try the hobby store, or even the local hardware store. When mine broke I just hunted arond the house until I found a piece of metal the right thickness and trimmed it with pliers. I think I used a very large paper clip and clipped off a straight section of it. To doubly reinforce it, I inserted the metal pin, superglued it to hold then added a layer of epoxy putty on the outside then sanded it back smooth after it dried. Now it's break-proof!

edit - maybe even those thin woodwork nails would be the right thickness.. once again, use the pliers to trim it to fit.

Edited by Guppy

Better to buy the FAST pack version rather than the regular one. The FAST pack version comes with improved hip joints that have a metal pin in them and won't break unlike the regular version. And the FAST pack version also comes with a nicely sculpted pilot figure. See the review in the toy section.

Graham

330765[/snapback]

Yeah I saw it in the Toy section earlier. Im getting that after I get the YF-21 and YF-19. Although I want the Fast Pack one I dont want to buy the same toy twice in a row.

try the hobby store, or even the local hardware store. When mine broke I just hunted arond the house until I found a piece of metal the right thickness and trimmed it with pliers. I think I used a very large paper clip and clipped off a straight section of it. To doubly reinforce it, I inserted the metal pin, superglued it to hold then added a layer of epoxy putty on the outside then sanded it back smooth after it dried. Now it's break-proof!

edit - maybe even those thin woodwork nails would work.. once again, use the pliers to trim it to fit.

330767[/snapback]

Ok what about removing the broken joint? Is thier a possibility to reinforce the joint without removing it anyway?

Hi again, sorry for not explaining myself properly before, I was in a hurry. Read this:

http://www.brushthralls.com/Pinning/index.php

And apply it to the hip piece of the 11B. It will work best if you use one rod the entire way thru, but if you can't keep it straight, you can do one for each hip that don't go into the main bar as deep.

Man, this is like the hundredth person I've read about having this happen. I feel extremely fortunate, I got mine on a blind whim for next to nothing and I was kinda rough with it at first and never had it break. Thank goodness the toy stayed together long enough for me to realize how fragile it was and stop touching it altogether :) Just be happy this didn't happen to a YF-19 (although, IIRC you really just have to worry about all the paint chipping off of those).

Still doesnt explain if I should drill or not..I checked that Pinning site and I get it a little but what about when I drill through the center and the cockpit, what about the coloring and movement. Exuse me for my bad info and skill, but a step by step way to do this from one of ya guys would be nice. Im afraid of drilling not straight and going in another direction and you know...

Edited by Dean

Ok what about removing the broken joint? Is thier a possibility to reinforce the joint without removing it anyway?

330770[/snapback]

I seem to recall I didn't remove the broken part.. I just took out the screws in the hip and that came off. I also didn't drill thru the whole lot, I just fitted a piece of metal into the hip joint cavity, glued that then puttied over the glued together join.

There's a very comprehensive post detailing step by step how to repair the hip joint that was posted here a while ago... lemme see if I can find it.

Thanks it would be best appreciated =) !

330826[/snapback]

I wish I still had the pics, but I took mine apart, went down to my local Ace Hardware and bought some tiny machine screws and nuts. Drilled all the way through, carved out the inside of the nose area, superglued the nut in the nose area. I sanded down the hip joints and then glued the sucker together, put the longer screw all the way through to the glued nut, screwing it through.

Now both hip joints are solid as a rock. My 11B can even sit "Indian" style now while he reads the paper and drinks a beer. :lol:

Merrell

did a search, but it's gone. But seriously, just read these threads again and you'll be fine. Here's a step by step so it's easier to read.

1. uncrew the air intake (the hip) and remove the broken part with the ball joint.

2. take a close look at the inside of the hip joint and you will notice how it has a hollow centre.

3. fit a piece of metal in there to give it more support. just get a paperclip or thin nail and keep trimming it until it fits.

4. then glue the joint together to give it some initial holding power and let that dry. Remeber to let the glue go tacky before you stick the 2 broken parts back together. use a poly cement type hobby glue.

5. Then for added strength (if you want to do what I did) apply some epoxy putty over the outside of the joint which you can get in any hobby store. Tamiya is a good brand. When it dries it is like a really tough plaster. You can shape it as it dries. After it is dry, sand it back so it's smooth. Then it will never break.

Also, loosen the screws on the other hip's air intake as that is why they snap - the screws are too tight and the ball joint cannot move freely so it twists the fragile hip joint until it breaks.

Heaps of people here have tried this so it's proven. I promise you it's easier than you think! :)

did a search, but it's gone. But seriously, just read these threads again and you'll be fine. Here's a step by step so it's easier to read.

1. uncrew the air intake (the hip) and remove the broken part with the ball joint.

2. take a close look at the inside of the hip joint and you will notice how it has a hollow centre.

3.  fit a piece of metal in there to give it more support. just get a paperclip or thin nail and keep trimming it until it fits.

4. then glue the joint together to give it some initial holding power and let that dry. Remeber to let the glue go tacky before you stick the 2 broken parts back together. use a poly cement type hobby glue.

5. Then for added strength (if you want to do what I did) apply some epoxy putty over the outside of the joint which you can get in any hobby store. Tamiya is a good brand. When it dries it is like a really tough plaster. You can shape it as it dries. After it is dry, sand it back so it's smooth. Then it will never break.

Also, loosen the screws on the other hip's air intake as that is why they snap - the screws are too tight and the ball joint cannot move freely so it twists the fragile hip joint until it breaks.

Heaps of people here have tried this so it's proven. I promise you it's easier than you think! :)

331078[/snapback]

I realy dont have any expoxt putty, is thier any replacment for it? So far so good with fixing the joint if it I did it correctly I managed to get a peice of straight metal and put it sriaght in the hip joint to give some support. But I need something to replace the putty, any ideas?

use colgate! it does nice things to my teeth :D

na..just kiddin...if you want some putty...I can just send it to you but you have to pay shipping...BUT its the green putty...I dont know if itll melt the pastic on the VF-11B as it melts model kit plastic (mwcheng said so) so, LMK if you want to give it a try :p

do you not have any hobby stores in your area? Any place that sell model kits or modelling supplies will have about 5 different brands.

Alternatively, look up online hobby stores. I see you're in California.. doing a Google search I found one in CAL that also does mail orders.

http://www.scalemodelindex.com

Wow, I remember these got really rare at one point but then Yamato re-released 'em so I thought they'd be everywhere. I guess they must have done a pretty limited re-release.

I'm still searching for a new FP version MISB. :( Can anyone help?

331226[/snapback]

do you not have any hobby stores in your area? Any place that sell model kits or modelling supplies will have about 5 different brands.

Alternatively, look up online hobby stores. I see you're in California.. doing a Google search I found one in CAL that also does mail orders.

http://www.scalemodelindex.com

331172[/snapback]

I got a few in my area. But I cant go :( . I know alot of stores for kits and hobby supplies but I cant go since my Dad is arriving back from his trip and Im unable to do much when he is around. Thanks for looking up the link Guppy. I will try to get some putty at that site, but if I cant I need something to support my VF-11Bs joint.

I put some super glue on it every now and then to give it more strength and support but I need something to cover and strengthen the joint, because Im afraid to pick up the toy and have the joint fall off after all that work :( . Any ideas?

Bump a little help here? Any ways I got some pics of the VF-11, one in Guardian, guardian up-close on the joint. Then my collection of toys with the VF-11B in fighter. I can transform the toy, but I have to be very very steady which I was. So as ya can see I managed to get it in fighter mode withhout the Crazy Glue breaking off but when I examined a little closer I saw that some of glue broke off in the middle of the joint but the small peice from the paper clip must have saved it. I reglued it back and left it in fighter mode, if I had the putty the joint will be very stable. As for the other joint it broke off at the end where the air intake connects to the joint so that was luck for me since that joint is rock solid even though its not reinforced or anything.

post-3168-1127695819_thumb.jpg

post-3168-1127697606_thumb.jpg

post-3168-1127697849_thumb.jpg

post-3168-1127698002_thumb.jpg

post-3168-1127698079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dean

use colgate! it does nice things to my teeth :D

na..just kiddin...if you want some putty...I can just send it to you but you have to pay shipping...BUT its the green putty...I dont know if itll melt the pastic on the VF-11B as it melts model kit plastic (mwcheng said so) so, LMK if you want to give it a try :p

331157[/snapback]

ahahahaha! XDDD I dunno if toothpaste works on plastic, covered with cavity protection... aside from teeth. *giggles* No plastic decay! :p j/k