voices of a distant star

akabob

I understand the whole love across space part of the story. What I am wondering is whether or not this 25 minute movie has good mecha action. I would have to buy it if I want to see it becuase there is no wheres near me to rent it. Is it worth getting just for mechaaholics.

If you want it just for mech action, then I would say this isn't for you. Hoshi No Koe, as you know, is a love story short, at its core. The mecha scenes are all rendered in CG, and I assume as you also know, was done solely by Makoto Shinkai on his Mac G4. And as such, the CG don't look very impressive, and if compared to industry standards such as Macross Zero, Yukikaze and possibly Vandread as a lower benchmark, HNK is far from it. But seriously for one guy with too much time on his G4, I'll call it pretty good.

CG grade aside, the mech battles itself are pretty short. They hint that there are other Tracers (the mechas) during the 1st and 2nd battles showing them launch and returning to the ship, but you don't really see them in action or getting blown up as cannon fodder. The action revolves around the main girl and that itself is pretty limited.

So in closing, to get HNK just for the mecha action, i wouldn't recommend it. But seriously as a short story, this show rocks. So the choice is yours. ;)

If you've seen Gunbuster, imagine a really stripped down fanmade version. i.e., go watch Gunbuster instead :)

316118[/snapback]

I wouldn't grade gunbuster to hnk.....but i guess the premise is about the same. Fighting aliens light years away. :p

If you've seen Gunbuster, imagine a really stripped down fanmade version. i.e., go watch Gunbuster instead :)

316118[/snapback]

Well damn. I didn't even make the connection. heh!

Still the guy's work stands apart from Gunbuster, it took a studio to make it. His didn't.

It's not for mecha heads, though it does have somewhat nice starships.

316118[/snapback]

Still the guy's work stands apart from Gunbuster, it took a studio to make it. His didn't.

316131[/snapback]

Ah, but Gainax at the time was run by otaku themselves, and they did all their work by hand, which I would think would be a lot harder than doing it on a computer. Not bad for a fledgling anime studio which originally produced model kits and books.

316118[/snapback]

Actually, they're quite a bit different in that HnK is primarily a love story. It's obvious that the film paid homage to Aim for the Top! in a lot of places, but there's nothing wrong with that (especially considering how much Top! took from other sources itself).

316118[/snapback]

Actually, they're quite a bit different in that HnK is primarily a love story. It's obvious that the film paid homage to Aim for the Top! in a lot of places, but there's nothing wrong with that (especially considering how much Top! took from other sources itself).

316373[/snapback]

I don't know, I think they're a lot more alike than not. Leaving a schoolmate behind to go off to war, superbadass ambiguous aliens, first big battle shown is "a lot" like Noriko's first sortie, only with no Smith, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad homage, it just doesn't match up in story quality (though it's much shorter, which makes it understandable). Plus it doesn't give you that big heart tug like the last episode of Gunbuster, and there's no fanservice.

No big heart tug?

What about in the last five minutes or so when they are each thinking about wanting to be with eachother and at the end Mikako floats there and they each think "I'm right here."

I've never been able to not cry when I watch that. This one even got my cold sarcastic bastard friends sobbing.

If I don't know, I think they're a lot more alike than not. Leaving a schoolmate behind to go off to war, superbadass ambiguous aliens, first big battle shown is "a lot" like Noriko's first sortie, only with no Smith, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad homage, it just doesn't match up in story quality (though it's much shorter, which makes it understandable). Plus it doesn't give you that big heart tug like the last episode of Gunbuster, and there's no fanservice.

316433[/snapback]

As I said, it had elements of homage, but that was not the entirety of the show. Aim for the Top! is not a love story, and that's a huge difference.

Oh, and here's a clue: when discussing your emotional response to a something, don't do it in second person. Telling me that it affect me is bullshit.

Oh, and here's a clue: when discussing your emotional response to a something, don't do it in second person.  Telling me that it affect me is bullshit.

316502[/snapback]

Gunbuster wasn't a love story, did you miss the whole part about Amano & Coach? And if you don't tell me when I can & can't use second person metaphors. Last time I checked, speaking with generalities wasn't against the law. Or do you take everything read as a direct interpretation of your thoughts & beliefs?

I think he means that Gunbuster wasn't a love story at its core, unlike HnK was.

Its pretty much like trying to grade Titanic and U5-71 as the same, which were about ships sinking..radioactive problems or whatever.... :lol:

I think he means that Gunbuster wasn't a love story at its core, unlike HnK was.

Its pretty much like trying to grade Titanic and U5-71 as the same, which were about ships sinking..radioactive problems or whatever.... :lol:

318915[/snapback]

I dissagree, Voices is directly & overtly inspired by Gunbuster. U-571 & Titanic share no such relation.

No big heart tug?

What about in the last five minutes or so when they are each thinking about wanting to be with eachother and at the end Mikako floats there and they each think "I'm right here."

I've never been able to not cry when I watch that.  This one even got my cold sarcastic bastard friends sobbing.

316485[/snapback]

I don't know. I've watched the film about three times (one time being last night to be sure), and the end of the movie always leaves me wondering "What the fu--?"

No big heart tug?

I've never been able to not cry when I watch that.  This one even got my cold sarcastic bastard friends sobbing.

316485[/snapback]

I don't know. I've watched the film about three times (one time being last night to be sure), and the end of the movie always leaves me wondering "What the fu--?"

318964[/snapback]

When the guy's all grown up, news from the girl's fleet who defeated the Tarsian force just reached earth. Those events happened like what....10 years ago and girl was probably on her way back to earth at that time. So, i guess you can say at that moment when both of them thought about their lovey dovey stuff, their feelings traverse space and time.

That's pretty cool i thought.