Etching part

Goshawk

Photo etch are small detail bits made out of metal sheet. They do small detail bits in metal because resin/plastic just can't get that thin without breaking. Photo-etch often needs to be bent... and is generally glued on with CA (Super Glue). Personally, I hate PE, since I always lose the pieces and never can get the pieces where I want them... and i end up using too much CA and have my hands stuck together at the end.

Photo etch are small detail bits made out of metal sheet. They do small detail bits in metal because resin/plastic just can't get that thin without breaking. Photo-etch often needs to be bent... and is generally glued on with CA (Super Glue). Personally, I hate PE, since I always lose the pieces and never can get the pieces where I want them... and i end up using too much CA and have my hands stuck together at the end.

That about sums up my experience with PE, another problem is the parts still want to fall off even with the CA. I'm getting better though.

Edited by Grayson72

so what's the problem with Premature Ejac....?

Oh you mean Photo Etched... my problem is not as much as the bending or glueing is the braking while bending of the insignifical little suckers that then fall to the ground to almost never be found...

May be a good way to find them would be using a magnet?

Hello,

Magnets won't help pick up brass PE out of the carpet (only works on steel/iron). I place a piece of window screen or a thin dress sock and cover my shop vac hose with it and a rubber band. Ususally I find all kinds of parts stuck on the end of the hose. Hmmm....

:)

Lightly rough the mating surface of the PE and the model up before applying glue. The glue needs a rough surface instead of a smooth surface to hold onto especially on the PE surface.

:)

Bhop did you paint that tiger yet? If you havnt i have a real good pic of the firing leads for the turret mounted smoke dischargers. I can send it to you next weekend when i get back to the UK

Yeah, it's been finished for awhile. I've even entered it in a local contest already, the Valley Con. It took first in the WWII armor category. Needless to say, that's a happy thing.. heh

(sorry if i'm hijacking this thread)

the rest of the pics can be seen here if anyone's interested (just click on the tiger thumb...the last one):

http://www.bhop73.com/main/models_m.shtml

tiger01.jpg

tiger13.jpg

tiger05.jpg

Edited by bhop

With that color scheme you could have made it into #131. the only tiger captured intact. The english own it right now and its said its the only running tiger1 in the world. The beast looks awesome, love the finishig style. makes me want to make a 4th tiger when i get home. Guess ill have to get the new DML/Dragon one with all the options.

If I may, how do you get all those cool looking scratches? They look great, and it is something I would like to try on my Spiderbug.

The chips are all painted with Vallejo acrylic by hand. here's a tutorial online: http://www.track-link.net/gallery/3014

With that color scheme you could have made it into #131. the only tiger captured intact. The english own it right now and its said its the only running tiger1 in the world.

Yeah, i'm pretty familiar with 131 at the Bovington museum. The kit came with the decals for it, but I didn't want to make that one since it's got a history that everyone knows and I could be more artistic with my weathering, (since I like to keep my "real" models as accurate as possible). 112 is from the same Battalion in Tunisia, but I couldn't find any info on it's history. I'm also waiting for the Dragon Late Tiger which should be out soon. If it's anything like the early that they released, it'll be awesome.

If you're interested, here's a site that has a video of the #131 in action, from the Bovington Museum's Tank Day Festival, or whatever it's called.. heh. It loads kinda slow for me, but it's cool to watch if you're a Tiger nerd like I am.

http://www.tigerwerk.com/

I have my own video of 131 actually. The thing backfires like mad since the exauhst manifolds are shot to pieces. The day i was filming it they also discovered arterwards that the magneto on the right side of the motor was shot. The sound of it still leaves me disappointed in tamiyas efforts on the 1/16 scale one. A king tiger and tiger 1 sound way diferent because they have 2 different exauhst systems. Tmiya recorded a king tiger and used the sound on te MK1.

I have my own video of 131 actually. The thing backfires like mad since the exauhst manifolds are shot to pieces. The day i was filming it they also discovered arterwards that the magneto on the right side of the motor was shot. The sound of it still leaves me disappointed in tamiyas efforts on the 1/16 scale one. A king tiger and tiger 1 sound way diferent because they have 2 different exauhst systems. Tmiya recorded a king tiger and used the sound on te MK1.

You were there? Exciting.. I would've loved to have seen it. I'd like to just go to the museum, but the chances of me visiting the UK are pretty slim.. at least for a long while.

Ill see if i can get you some good pics of it in 2 weeks when im back in the UK. ill be taking my father and my father in law there. If its a good day they may have it out and running i heard they fixed the magneto problem. The way you finished your model is exactly how beat up 131 was when it was captured. It only looks that good now because the completely restored it.