Interest thread for 1/1000 Oberth resin kit

honneamise

Ranger565 this is great work! I have the same screen cap sequence (the only one I am aware of, at least with the Oberth in foreground) and I have based my painting hints on the instruction sheet on it, too.

I totally agree with the blue, I have interpreted it as something around USN intemediate blue but it is not too far off from the RLM 24 as seen on your beautiful VF-1A, maybe a little lighter. The blue in the anime is less greyish but I fear using a max type blue will kinda kill the sense of scale with this model.

As for the underside and the bow, I came to a different conclusion. It is funny but my screencap does not show any hint of a tan on the bow. The upper part (of the bow) is just very light grey and the lower half of the whole ship appears to be a darker grey -just the neutral grey you propose.

Now my interpretation is that the underside PLUS the whole front part of the ship is the lighter grey and the medium grey tone you can see is just the darkened shade of the same grey because the underside is in shadow while the upper side is in light. Based on that, my recommendation is more towards a very light grey such as FS 36622, the underside tone used for the Vietnam camouflage.

Of course this is just what I make of it, and, looking at the screencap posted here, I find the blue/med.-grey/ radome tan- scheme very plausible. In the end it will still be up to every modeler´s own liking i guess...

here is the reference I used

post-2845-1124171824_thumb.jpg

Oh heck yeah, That pictures is 1000000% better then the one I was able to find.

Scratch the Tan off the list. The other pic made it look tan! :blink: OK now your right with that grey. It Could be an overall Light Grey; like you propose. Heck in fact almost could be a White Bow.

Thank you for that Screene shot. Best one I have seen yet.

Ranger565

Hi guys the kits are ready and, while I´m waiting for some payments, there are still some who are looking for a new home! :D

I´ll send the parcel with the US orders out in about a week from now so If anybody still wants a kit I can still bulk ship it to the United States (or ship it elsewhere of course), just drop me a PM.

The postman just delivered mine. Fantastic! Incredible detail, all those panel lines, just superb. This kit is on a par with the very best professionally made resin kits in my collection and a damn sight better than some of the stuff I've bought in the past.

Many thanks Honneamise.

And if anyone is thinking of getting one the unclaimed models Honneamise mentions in the above post but can't make up their minds, I would recommend going for it, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Mechmaster

The postman just delivered mine. Fantastic! Incredible detail, all those panel lines, just superb. This kit is on a par with the very best professionally made resin kits in my collection and a damn sight better than some of the stuff I've bought in the past.

Many thanks Honneamise.

And if anyone is thinking of getting one the unclaimed models Honneamise mentions in the above post but can't make up their minds, I would recommend going for it, you won't be disappointed.

322770[/snapback]

I second all of that.

I received mine yesterday and I still marvel at the level of detail and craftsmanship of this kit.

Honneamise, You defenitely need to continue making kits like this!!

Thank you guys, great to hear you really like the Oberth!!! :D:D

Honestly, I was a little nervous about the reception of the kit - I mean, when I built it and kept looking at it all day, in the end I was not able to judge for myself if I had created something really cool or just a very strange looking piece of plastic. My friends are mostly Macross-ignorants and I got comments like "Oh, one of those japanese flying submarines,...interesting" :huh: And of course I didn´t know if my self-taught casting techniques could stand up to the standards of other garage kit manufacturers. I am VERY pleased it all seems to turn out well (although I am always nervous about the postal service- sometimes it takes them ages to deliver) and I´d really like to go on with making Macross kits.

I'm not flaking out on you I just still need to get the money together.  It sucks getting paid once a month.

322802[/snapback]

Don´t worry cobywan your two are reserved, take your time. Money sucks if you haven´t got more than you need - I know that very well <_< ! Be glad you ARE paid once a month - I build architectural models as my main job and getting commissions is really hard these days, many Architects need models but their budget is too tight so if I get the job I usually work for much less than it is really worth....frustrating!

I'm not flaking out on you I just still need to get the money together.  It sucks getting paid once a month.

322802[/snapback]

Don´t worry cobywan your two are reserved, take your time. Money sucks if you haven´t got more than you need - I know that very well <_< ! Be glad you ARE paid once a month - I build architectural models as my main job and getting commissions is really hard these days, many Architects need models but their budget is too tight so if I get the job I usually work for much less than it is really worth....frustrating!

322972[/snapback]

I'm thrilled to have a steady job doing it. And I am espeacialy happy to be getting overtime this month. But that has been taken by the power company already. :angry:

I finally had some time to mask and paint :) ...still quite rough, I will have to do some fine tuning to the blue/grey separation lines.

The finish is very glossy because I used Gunze paint which is all gloss, but it will receive a dull coat at the end.

The intermediate blue came out quite dark, more like USN Navy blue, but I still like it. I will post-shade the whole ship anyway so it will get a little lighter overall in the end.

post-2845-1125394497_thumb.jpg

Will you attempt panelling like Trek or keep the finish monotone? And where are you gonna place the Spacy symbol at?  :huh:

324437[/snapback]

Good questions but I don´t know yet :rolleyes: As for panelling I will change the colour shades a bit in places but I do not intend to make it kind of an "aztec pattern" like on some trek ships.

The colour scheme as it is reminds me of a US warship camouflage, in 1943-1944 it was quite standard to have all upper surfaces, including even wooden decks, painted in dark blue. I will probably deviate from the simple anime scheme and paint the upper halves of the gun bulges and the upward surfaces of the little front "wings" blue as well ...

The Spacy symbol... well there are no hints as to where to put that cause in the anime they don´t show these little details. I want one but I have to dig my spare decals for the right size. If I have a small one I might put it onto the bridge sides.

A bigger one will look better on the enigine sides and maybe I will pick a "low visibility"style to match the grey.

I´ve also thought about putting something like a big number or letter on the engines to resemble a WW2 bomber.... I will decide that as I come along but I will definitely use a little artistic license here - just sticking to the one screenshot will make it look kinda plain I guess.

Guest Bromgrev

I like the shade of blue, it has a kind of 'real-world' feel to it. Insignia would definitely be a great idea, even if you basically need to invent them from scratch. A ship this size needs something to provide a sense of scale (IMHO).

honneamise,

Your level of detail and skill is trully amazing. What other work have you done in the past??

I really would like to see more of your work.

I think the color is perfect for this particular ship, it closely resembles the color of the TV SDF-1. You should take one pic with it using a black background.

Inspired,

NB4M

:)

I've updated the order list here Order list with who has paid and which models have been shipped already.

Let me know if I missed something, looks like the rest of the models will be shipping to me shortly, woohoo! :lol:

Darklord I added you to the list so if you want to get in on this first batch (only batch?) and the discounted bulk shipping from Germany then I'd suggest you PM honneamise ASAP.

Edited by Grayson72

Obeth resin model is here. Very pleased. Thanks muchly.

Hope you try doing other macross stuff.

What else would be a good macross model to do?

* armd at the same scale as the Bandai sdf1 toy

* fast pack armor for yamato 1/72 yf19

* 1/60 or 1/72 zentraedi fighter pod

* ghost fighter from sdf macross

guys i am from New Orleans, I have lost all mail if it were in new orleans and it cannot recovered and is lost. I am trying to find a way to get my mail. If the people in the United tates have had there kits shiped by mail already mine maybe lost for ever since New Orleans is my mail hub and the main mail hub office is under 10 feet of water. so if anyone can please let me know if the kit has been shiped. please emial me at wampler56@charter. net. Guys I dont want to loose this kit. Ihave paid alot of money for it.

Thank you

Ranger565

Edited by Ranger565

I don't think they've even been shipped to Grayson yet, your kit is safe.

325421[/snapback]

That's correct. They will be sent to me shortly from Germany.

I'm holding off sending kits to those who've contacted me saying they've been affected by the recent Hurricane devastation.

Please send me a PM if you'd like me to delay shipping the kit to you if you've been affected.

Regards, Chad

Edited by Grayson72

My thoughts and feelings are with all you guys who live in the areas affected by the storm and I strongly hope all of you are safe and your property remaining intact.

I´ve sent the kits on Saturday so they should be on their way to Chad. I hope they arrive in a few days and all of you will like them, but of course I know that some members here will now have other concerns than model kits.

On the HLJ main page there is a link to the USPS listing all the affected areas with restricted or suspended postal service at the moment. I was very sorry to find that some of the postal codes of the addresses I sent to Chad are on it. I hope everything will return to normal in a forseeable timespan and everyone will be fine in the end.

Sorry no building/painting progress over the last few days. I had no time cause I was busy getting my website started.

For those who are interested to take a look at my other work besides the Oberth, there are lots of pictures here. Text is mainly German but the pics pretty much speak for themselves. Not much Macross stuff here, most of the kits I built are too old but of course I hope to change that in the future!

Here is the link:

scaleworks

Excellent website Honneamise.

You are a very multi-talented artist!

Your X-Wing is great! It's nice to see Biggs get some attention. :)

You should try a Macross painting!

Do you have a price range for your paintings? Do you sell your paintings?

Thanks guys! :)

I did most of the stuff on my website for my customers, the Tornado was a commission for a mechanic who maintains the real plane in Nörvenich airbase not too far from Cologne.

If I had more time I´d try to paint Macross stuff. I´m a great fan of Tenjin but even more of Takani but those guys have set a standard in their paintings (OK Tenjin is more of a 3D-artist) that scares me somewhat. Still, I want to do it someday - or just give me a commission and I´ll do my best!

I calculate my prices strictly by hours and I charge 23,20 EU /hour including all the lousy taxes here. A painting starts somewhere at 250 with an open end of course, that retro style pic with the yellow plane in front took me about a week just for the city underneath so I´m not going to sell that I guess. But I´m much faster in my usual working progress even it the work is very detailed. And of course my clients only have to pay if they are satisfied!