Any other pictures like this?

I think it's really amazing to see something like this, so much history flying together. Are there any other images like this? It'd be awesome to see every generation of major US jet aircraft all together.

Seeing the A-10 in there also reminds me of how much cooler and appropriate it would have been to have them fighting WWII era craft instead of F-14s in The Final Countdown.

post-26-1117665922_thumb.jpg

Edited by ComicKaze

I wish I would have taken a pic at an air show in Wisconsin. An F-15 was flying with about 4 or 5 other aircraft from previous wars. I think it was on Memorial Day, because I remember them doing a "missing man formation" (one plane leaves the formation). It was kinda funny watching the F-15 slow down that much after seeing it rip through the clouds earlier (and I'm not saying that the missing man formation is a funny event).

Sweet pics, I love seein the Lightening, Warhawk, and T-bolt (or Warthog?) flying together... which is the jet with the open jet engine nose?  Harrier?

from left to right A-10 Thunderbolt, F-86 Saber, P-38J lightening, and P-51 Mustang

Edited by Goshawk

Sweet pics, I love seein the Lightening, Warhawk, and T-bolt (or Warthog?) flying together... which is the jet with the open jet engine nose?  Harrier?

Umm, no, that would be an F86 Sabre. Edit, lol, looks like Goshawk and I hit upon the same thought.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Umm, no, that would be an F86 Sabre. Edit, lol, looks like Goshawk and I hit upon the same thought.

Great minds work wonderful Mech :D

Hard to tell from the angle of that photo, but I think it could be this plane, which is an earlier P-51B model; those only had 4 guns in the wings, IIRC...

If it IS this plane...hard to believe; but after the war when all those planes weren't needed anymore and surplused, this plane was sold to a trade school for $1. It's literally worth more than a million times that today...

post-26-1117672050.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Seeing the A-10 in there also reminds me of how much cooler and appropriate it would have been to have them fighting WWII era craft instead of F-14s in The Final Countdown.

Uh, wouldn't that have sorta destroyed the whole premise of the movie? I'm missing something here. . . :unsure:

I can't figure out why the aircraft carrier from the future should have been carrying WWII era aircraft. :huh:

Edit: And 30 seconds later, the lightbulb comes on! You mean that it would have been cooler to see the A10s fighting the WWII era aircraft rather than the F14s doing so. ;)

Yes, I was missing something. But, if you consider the "them" in your sentence to be the Japanese, you can see where I was confused. :blink:

Edited by Hurin

That particular Mustang is a P-51C. One of only 2 C's that can still fly. (And there's very very few C's, period). It is the most recently restored Mustang I know of---2003 was its "maiden" flight I think. I saw it in Summer of that year. A P-51C is a P-51B built in Dallas. No phyiscal differences from the B AFAIK, not a single rivet.

Plenty of similar pics exist, USAF does it all the time at airshows. Called "Heritage Flights". Check Airliners.net for pics. Navy does a similar thing, "Legacy Flights".

These are some of my faves, often are my wallpaper:

F-15/P-38, directly below: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/543600/L

F-15/P-51/P-38: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/409045/L

F-14/F-18/F4U: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/522318/L