262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

You're right, its a conspiracy against Sega and MS. The truth is, every product released by Nintendo and Sony were included in the numbers. In truth, only about 4 people in the US owned a SNES, and the PS2 was never actually released.

Oh, good grief.

I'm posting logical, rational evaluations and you're making wise-ass remarks to defend numbers that you can't even properly cite sources for.

You'd've been better off pointing out that the X'Eye was pretty much irrelevant.

I have no idea what sales of the Genny3 were like, but I've been told the X'Eye amounted to about 5000 units. It's inclusion/exclusion is in fact signifigant.

And as we have no indicator whatsoever of how your numbers were arrived at, you'll forgive me if I'm making educated guesses as to why they run counter to everyone else's, which provide the Genny with a marginal lead.

Edited by JB0

All this NR vs. Xbox360 vs. PS3 and they not even out hmm........, then better check this out guys since its related to the video games :angry:

My beautiful Kasumi is ruined :angry:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/dea...ws_6127700.html

I saw that, and I'm heartbroken. Kasumi was always my favorite of the DoA girls, and they cast ultra-ugly Devon Aoki for her?

Well, videogame movies are supposed to suck, anway...

Remember, the SNES had 2 years as the bargin-bin deck of choice after Sega killed the Genny for the Saturn.

Actually, if I recall correctly, they didn't go Genesis to Saturn. They went Genesis - Sega CD - Sega 32X. I think it was at this point that Sega basically became the laughign stock of the gaming industry, and it was the beginning of the end. While the SNES was still enjoying strong sales, Sega wasn't selling anything (though they were trying to).

Ummm...

They continued to make and sell Genesises to go alongside those SegaCDs and 32xes, you moron.

And IF you cared to pay any attention at the time, the SegaCD was well-recieved.

NINTENDO was the company taking flak for NOT making a CD expansion.

No, SCD didn't sell near as many units as either the Genesis or SNES, but when looked at as an expansion to the Genesis instead of a stand-alone system, it did quite well.

The 32x, however, was mocked and reviled both in it's original release AND in the modern Sega-can't-do-anything-right revisionist history.

You're right, its a conspiracy against Sega and MS. The truth is, every product released by Nintendo and Sony were included in the numbers. In truth, only about 4 people in the US owned a SNES, and the PS2 was never actually released.

Oh, good grief.

I'm posting logical, rational evaluations and you're making wise-ass remarks to defend numbers that you can't even properly cite sources for.

I don't have to. Do a google search, you'll find the numbers on plenty of websites.

Ummm...

They continued to make and sell Genesises to go alongside those SegaCDs and 32xes, you moron.

And IF you cared to pay any attention at the time, the SegaCD was well-recieved.

No, SCD didn't sell near as many units as either the Genesis or SNES, but when looked at as an expansion to the Genesis instead of a stand-alone system, it did quite well.

The 32x, however, was mocked and reviled both in it's original release AND in the modern Sega-can't-do-anything-right revisionist history.

Are you that dense that you couldn't figure out what I meant? Of course they kept selling them, they were add-ons to the Genesis.

The SegaCD well recieved? It sold what, 2.5 million units, which is about what the Turbografx 16 sold. And what about the Sega 32X, the biggest joke in gaming history. Even worse than the Atari Jaguar. That was the beginning of the end for Sega. They never recovered.

mikeszekely and Blaine, could you two provide a rough estimate on how often your friends used their PS2s? I know that electronics will usually wear out quicker under heavy use regardless of the machines quality, I wondering if that might be the case here.

Myself and my three closest friends, all of whom had multiple consoles, would alternate between the consoles. That is, sometimes it'd seem like Xbox was going through a hot streak, and a month or two would go by before we'd touch our PS2s. But then PS2 would be on a hot streak, and we'd be using it for something like 4-5 hours a day every day for a month.

My brother, who bought a PS2 well after launch, found that it didn't work pretty much out of the box. He exchanged it, and he'd play for maybe 5-6 hours a week for a year. Then it died, so he bought an Xbox.

Okay, so based on you and your friends experience. The consoles didn't have a life span anywhere near the length that they should. I'm interested to see what Blaine has to say, since I don't know if he has done any tweaking or how long he has used it. Of course I've noticed that most companies these days tend to make shoddy products so that people will purchase from them again. IMO I think it is kind of sad that companies that build game consoles would do such a thing since they normally begin releasing another generation of consoles five years after the previous release.

Edit: Not much point in double posting

Togo-I wouldn't trust sales numbers that someone throughs up on message. Unless I happened to know if the site, that the info came from, was reliable.

Edited by Shadow Skull

Togo-I wouldn't trust sales numbers that someone throughs up on message. Unless I happened to know if the site, that the info came from, was reliable.

Google it, man, you'll find the numbers on countless of sites.

Ummm...

Are you that dense that you couldn't figure out what I meant? Of course they kept selling them, they were add-ons to the Genesis.

Umm, you were the one arguing against me.

I said "Sega killed the Genny for the Saturn."

You said...

"Actually, if I recall correctly, they didn't go Genesis to Saturn. They went Genesis - Sega CD - Sega 32X."

If that WASN'T what you meant, then you weren't contradicting my statement that it was killed for the Saturn, and should've left it alone.

The SegaCD well recieved? It sold what, 2.5 million units, which is about what the Turbografx 16 sold.

May I ask what you think an APPROPRIATE sales number for an expansion is?

Every attempt I've seen to paint the SegaCD as a failure always compares it to stand-alone systems. THE SEGACD WAS AN EXPANSION.

It's like saying FF7 was a failure because it only sold 6 million units and there were(by your numbers) a hundred million PS1's sold.

Only six percent of peopel that could use the game bought it(if we assume console sales #s = # of console owners).

The SegaCD, using your #s, got 10% of the Genesis market.

Meaning that it BEAT FINAL FANTASY 7 in terms of market penetration.

Think about this.

And I'm pretty sure you've lapsed back to using US numbers. The PC Engine was a quite popular system in Japan.

And what about the Sega 32X, the biggest joke in gaming history.

From about 3 inches ago...

"The 32x, however, was mocked and reviled both in it's original release AND in the modern Sega-can't-do-anything-right revisionist history."

no thats so wrong. ps2 was released but it was the government that forced sony to make them break easily so they can install mind recording devices and collect them from government owned and operated garbage facuilties. Then remotely operate the chip from the new ps2 you bought to brainwash your mind to buy fatty foods that was made by government owned toxic plants.

Edited by Zentrandude

mikeszekely and Blaine, could you two provide a rough estimate on how often your friends used their PS2s? I know that electronics will usually wear out quicker under heavy use regardless of the machines quality, I wondering if that might be the case here.

Myself and my three closest friends, all of whom had multiple consoles, would alternate between the consoles. That is, sometimes it'd seem like Xbox was going through a hot streak, and a month or two would go by before we'd touch our PS2s. But then PS2 would be on a hot streak, and we'd be using it for something like 4-5 hours a day every day for a month.

My brother, who bought a PS2 well after launch, found that it didn't work pretty much out of the box. He exchanged it, and he'd play for maybe 5-6 hours a week for a year. Then it died, so he bought an Xbox.

Okay, so based on you and your friends experience. The consoles didn't have a life span anywhere near the length that they should. I'm interested to see what Blaine has to say, since I don't know if he has done any tweaking or how long he has used it. Of course I've noticed that most companies these days tend to make shoddy products so that people will purchase from them again. IMO I think it is kind of sad that companies that build game consoles would do such a thing since they normally begin releasing another generation of consoles five years after the previous release.

I don't know how long they had their PS2's for, but I do have a never-ending stream of customers that want to know what to do about their PS2s when they start going. Trust me, "disc read error" wouldn't have half the meaning it does if the problem was confined to me and my friends.

I don't know how long they had their PS2's for, but I do have a never-ending stream of customers that want to know what to do about their PS2s when they start going. Trust me, "disc read error" wouldn't have half the meaning it does if the problem was confined to me and my friends.

Can't they send it in to Sony to get fixed for free? Disc Read Error consoles are being fixed as long as you ship the console to them after you call to get an authorization number(and majority of them are way beyond a year old so, it's a good deal IMO)...they'll ship it back repaired or replaced free.

Edited by Gaijin

Can't they send it in to Sony to get fixed for free? Disc Read Error consoles are being fixed as long as you ship the console to them after you call to get an authorization number(and majority of them are way beyond a year old so, it's a good deal IMO)...they'll ship it back repaired or replaced free.

If I recall correctly, that ONLY applies to 1st-gen models. SCPH100001, if I recall the model #s correctly.

And that's only because they got a class-action suit dropped on them over the high failure rate. Free repairs for DREs on out-of-warranty 100001s was part of the settlement.

You said...

"Actually, if I recall correctly, they didn't go Genesis to Saturn. They went Genesis - Sega CD - Sega 32X."

If that WASN'T what you meant, then you weren't contradicting my statement that it was killed for the Saturn, and should've left it alone.

Actually, I was, because you can't play SegaCD or Sega 32X games on the Genesis by itself. Their production and marketing didn't go Genesis - Saturn, it isn't that simple or that clean.

If I recall correctly, that ONLY applies to 1st-gen models. SCPH100001, if I recall the model #s correctly.

And that's only because they got a class-action suit dropped on them over the high failure rate. Free repairs for DREs on out-of-warranty 100001s was part of the settlement.

I would tend to think this applies to models still under warranty, no matter what their revision. The biggest problem the first genration PS2's had is that they allowed a large amount of air (read: dust) into the area around the laser lense. Later reveisions corrected this.

You said...

Actually, I was, because you can't play SegaCD or Sega 32X games on the Genesis by itself. Their production and marketing didn't go Genesis - Saturn, it isn't that simple or that clean.

Maybe you weren't actually LOOKING at games in the day.

They never cut the Genesis off from carts. In fact, some of the best Genesis games came out duroing what was supposed to be the 32x's reign.

I would tend to think this applies to models still under warranty, no matter what their revision. The biggest problem the first genration PS2's had is that they allowed a large amount of air (read: dust) into the area around the laser lense. Later reveisions corrected this.

3 month warranty. Not a lot of time.

And that may have been the biggest flaw on the first model(not owning one to look at, I can't say). But it was hardly the only flaw.

And that may have been the biggest flaw on the first model(not owning one to look at, I can't say). But it was hardly the only flaw.

Yeah, too bad it sold 80 million units. :lol:

Yeah, too bad it sold 80 million units. :lol:

I'm going to ignore the blatant sarcasm there and just agree.

Hardware quality has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with success.

You're undoubtedly heard of a little system called the NES, right? Containing possibly the world's shittiest and most unreliable cartridge slot.

And I really DO wish that massively flawed hardware would be met with damaged sales until it was fixed.

Instead, it's met with repeat sales, because people want to keep using their software.

The lawsuit brought against Sony on the 10k series was a MASSIVE step in the right direction. People are FINALLY taking a stand on this sort of crap.

Man, could you get any more bitter over a system you never owned? You want to pretend you are speaking up for the rights of PS2 owners, when in fact your only intention is to continue to knock the system as a fanboy. Could you be any more transparent?

What it all comes down to are the games. People go where the games they want are. For the last decade, that's been the PSX and the PS2. By the looks of it, this will continue on with the PS3. GET OVER IT.

Man, could you get any more bitter over a system you never owned? You want to pretend you are speaking up for the rights of PS2 owners, when in fact your only intention is to continue to knock the system as a fanboy. Could you be any more transparent?

I am doing no such thing.

I own a PS1, and have it hooked up right alongside my other regularly-used systems.

I use my sister's PS2 more often than she does.

I do not like SCEA's business practices. Big deal.

I don't like Nintendo's business practices during the NES era either. They made Sony look GOOD. But Nintendo can't behave that way anymore, because they don't control anywhere NEAR the majority of the market. I don't like their business practices now, but it's more of a wet dog pathetic not-like than it is a snarling rottweiler not-like.

I don't like Microsoft's software business practices either. Again, they make Sony look good. Funny thing, though... I'm using a Windows machine, because it runs the software I want to run.

Same reason I own a PlayStation, actually.

I'm well past my hardware loyalty phase. I buy consoles for games, not because of their manufacturer.

Do I think the Revolution will have the titles I'm most interested in, and thus be my first pick? Yes.

Am I going to wind up with a PS3 anyways? You bet your ass I will. Unless PS3 emulation progresses a LOT faster than PS1 and PS2 emulation has(but then... I'd need a PC BluRay drive to use them).

Do I like bitching? Damn straight.

Do I like doing it even more when I'm playing devil's advocate? HELL yes I do.

If this were about the GameCube, you'd see me whining about the dumbass digital AV out port and the absurdly overpriced component video cables, and how they should've copied Sony and made the RGB lines on the multi-out port togglable between RGB and component. I'd also be ranting about how badly the 'Cube's d-pad sucks, even though it only impacts a half-dozen games.

I've argued the superiority of the Genesis and the SNES at diffrent times. Once I argued both sides to diffrent people at the same time.

I've even defended the PlayStation against it's detractors before.

But this entire thread rapidly shifted into "Sony is God" mode.

And I took it upon myself to knock some fanboys down a few notches. Whether they realize they've been knocked down or not.

And I took it upon myself to knock some fanboys down a few notches. Whether they realize they've been knocked down or not.

Actually, no. You have done no such thing. You've done the exact opposite. The Sega and Xbox fanboys brought the realists out (such as myself). We have shown you for what you are, and enjoyed your futile efforts to prove yourselves superior.

Shhhh, its ok, baby, we understand your pain. Acknowledging your problem is the first step to recovery.

A vast majority of console gamers have put their support behind the PS3. They do so because they owned and were satisfied with the PSX and PS2, and like the selection of games available on Playstation systems. I have the numbers to back up this opinion, you do not.

Now personally, most of the gaming I do these days will center around my PC, but I will own a PS3 for franchises such as Final Fantasy, MGS, GTA, Xenosaga, and Ace Combat. I know, as most gamers do, where the good are.

Genesis Outsold SNES atleast in the states

No, it didn't. SNES outsold it 31.67 million in the US to Genesis' 27.17 million.

Do any of you bother to check yoru facts?

Interesting tidbit, the Genesis only sold 3.58 million units in Japan.

yes it did

I suspect his numbers are grand totals, but only for Sega-produced hardware.

Remember, the SNES had 2 years as the bargin-bin deck of choice after Sega killed the Genny for the Saturn.

Roughly analagous to sending your team back onto the field to score some more goals after the game's over and everyone went home. It let the SNES reclaim the lead, but in a totally irrelevant manner.

And if I'm right, Majesco's Genesis3 and JVC's X'Eye wouldn't factor into the totals, being non-Sega hardware.

Heck, if the numbers are intentionally biased, they may even exclude the Sega-produced Nomad and CDX.

exactly

Actually, no. You have done no such thing. You've done the exact opposite. The Sega and Xbox fanboys brought the realists out (such as myself). We have shown you for what you are, and enjoyed your futile efforts to prove yourselves superior.

Shhhh, its ok, baby, we understand your pain. Acknowledging your problem is the first step to recovery.

:rolleyes:

The Sega and Xbox fanboys brought the realists out (such as myself).

I find it highly ironic to hear one of the "PlayStation or nothing" crowd refering to himself as the realist, and the multiple console owners as "Sega and Xbox fanboys."

but I will own a PS3 for franchises such as Final Fantasy, MGS, GTA, Xenosaga, and Ace Combat. I know, as most gamers do, where the good are.

GTA, and now Final Fantasy, are showing up on Microsoft's consoles as well. No Ace Combat or Xenosaga games have been announced for the PS3, nor does Sony have any sort of exclusivity contracts with Namco on either of those series. Indeed, only MGS4 is a for sure thing on the PS3... but Hideo Kojima has expressed his interests to develop games for the Xbox 360 as well.

And aside from maybe Ace Combat, I'm more interested in sequels to Jade Empire and Fable (Fable being confirmed for the 360, Jade Empire all but confirmed as one of the two games BioWare has announced that they're working on for the 360).

I find it highly ironic to hear one of the "PlayStation or nothing" crowd refering to himself as the realist, and the multiple console owners as "Sega and Xbox fanboys."

I'm a PC gamer, thanks.

GTA, and now Final Fantasy, are showing up on Microsoft's consoles as well. No Ace Combat or Xenosaga games have been announced for the PS3, nor does Sony have any sort of exclusivity contracts with Namco on either of those series. Indeed, only MGS4 is a for sure thing on the PS3... but Hideo Kojima has expressed his interests to develop games for the Xbox 360 as well.

And aside from maybe Ace Combat, I'm more interested in sequels to Jade Empire and Fable (Fable being confirmed for the 360, Jade Empire all but confirmed as one of the two games BioWare has announced that they're working on for the 360).

GTA comes out for the Xbox months after it hits the Playstation. Final Fantasy XI does not mean the whole franchise is coming to the Xbox. Fable, (and probably Jade Empire) is coming to the PC, which will look better and be more up to date patch wise. And, of course, MGS...

After about 5yrs(or whenever the PS2 came out) I'd expect any mechanical device to need some sort of tweaking to keep it working especially through the daily 3-4hrs of abuse I put it through.

I've owned the same CD player since I was in Jr. High, the same DVD player since maybe a year after the PS2 came out. I've had my Xbox since it came out, and I've had my Gamecube since it came out. The CD player in my car has been there for three years. Aside from my PS2 going bad, I'm yet to have to recalibrate any of them.

So.....you use each of those devices for 3-4 hrs daily?

After about 5yrs(or whenever the PS2 came out) I'd expect any mechanical device to need some sort of tweaking to keep it working especially through the daily 3-4hrs of abuse I put it through.

I've owned the same CD player since I was in Jr. High, the same DVD player since maybe a year after the PS2 came out. I've had my Xbox since it came out, and I've had my Gamecube since it came out. The CD player in my car has been there for three years. Aside from my PS2 going bad, I'm yet to have to recalibrate any of them.

You use each of those devices for 3-4 hrs daily?

Like I said, my SegaCD is sitll going strong.

And you never saw me during one of my Lunar binges. I may only have 2 games worth playing for the thing, but I've played the crap out of them.

And my PS1 has more hours logged on it than most people's PS2s.

I've got 200 hours of play time logged in Star Ocean alone. Sadly many of my games don't HAVE timers, and I deleted a bunch of save files a while back.

The fact is the laser just shouldn't be drifting out of calibration.

My hypothesis is that SCE's using laser diodes that degrade fairly rapidly, causing them to quickly fall away from the properties they had when the systems were calibrated.

Also possible is repeated thermal expansion on the calibration pots is causing them to creep out of position. This could rapidly be dealt with by adding one piece of plastic to keep the hot air coming off the motherboard out of the drive mech.

Edited by JB0

And you never saw me during one of my Lunar binges.

Oooh, another game available on the PSX... :lol:

They weren't at the time of my binges.

And as someone that owns both versions of both games, the SegaCD versions are better.

Silver Star Story got raped writing-wise and no longer fits the series continuity(as well as totally screwing some of the characters up). Damn shame, because I was really looking forward to seeing it updated, and the original IS one of the few games I've felt needed a remake despite how much I enjoyed it.

Eternal Blue got raped gameplay-wise(not to mention what the hell do you have to be doing to have less FMV that looks WORSE than a 1-disk SegaCD game on a freaking 3-disk PS1 game?).

I skiped the GBA version of Lunar 1 because it was a remake of Silver Star Story, with a game engine even more dumbed down than the Eternal blue remake had(borrowed it from a friend to confirm my fears).

And yet the Lunar fanboy in me is clamoring for the upcoming DS game(which apparently IS a new game instead of another Silver Star/SSStory remake), even though I'm already 99% sure GameArts cocked it up royally.

Looking forward to Grandia 3, too.

Even after Grandia Extreme.

I'm no hardware fanboy, but I AM a software fanboy.

And you never saw me during one of my Lunar binges.

Oooh, another game available on the PSX... :lol:

They weren't at the time of my binges.

And as someone that owns both versions of both games, the SegaCD versions are better.

Silver Star Story got raped writing-wise and no longer fits the series continuity(as well as totally screwing some of the characters up). Damn shame, because I was really looking forward to seeing it updated, and the original IS one of the few games I've felt needed a remake despite how much I enjoyed it.

Eternal Blue got raped gameplay-wise(not to mention what the hell do you have to be doing to have less FMV that looks WORSE than a 1-disk SegaCD game on a freaking 3-disk PS1 game?).

I skiped the GBA version of Lunar 1 because it was a remake of Silver Star Story, with a game engine even more dumbed down than the Eternal blue remake had(borrowed it from a friend to confirm my fears).

And yet the Lunar fanboy in me is clamoring for the upcoming DS game(which apparently IS a new game instead of another Silver Star/SSStory remake), even though I'm already 99% sure GameArts cocked it up royally.

Looking forward to Grandia 3, too.

Even after Grandia Extreme.

I'm no hardware fanboy, but I AM a software fanboy.

Well well another Lunar fan, haven`t met one in ages :) AND YES SEGA-CD versions are better than PSone ver. for exapmle: When Alex and Gallion meet the last White Dragon the drama and especially the BGM is far better on the Sega-CD.

Technically The Sega-CD is very solid in quality, no matter how many times it gets kicked or pushed it still works and rarelly it freezes during a game, it only happened once with me and once with the Genesis CDX. This unit still has a place in my heart :) . I wish Working Designs released The Saturn ver.

BTW JBO did you play POPFUL MAIL ?

Edited by Black Valkyrie

Well well another Lunar fan, haven`t met one in ages :) AND YES SEGA-CD versions are better than PSone ver. for exapmle: When Alex and Gallion meet the last White Dragon the drama and especially the BGM is far better on the Sega-CD.

Technically The Sega-CD is very solid in quality, no matter how many times it gets kicked or pushed it still works and rarelly it freezes during a game, it only happened once with me and once with the Genesis CDX. This unit still has a place in my heart :) . I wish Working Designs released The Saturn ver.

BTW JBO did you play POPFUL MAIL ?

Also note: Quark didn't look like a molten was statue in the SCD version.

And sadly, I've not had a chance to play Popful Mail yet.

It's on my list, I've just never snagged a copy(legal or otherwise).