Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

dokuro-chan.jpg

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan ( 撲殺天使ドクロã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ )

Hal Film Maker/Media Works/TVK/Geneon Entertainment, 2005

Let's see if Geneon's gonna license this one in the U.S....

Directed by Tsutomu Mizushima (Genshiken, Har�+Guu)

Based on the manga by Masaki Okayu

Running Time: 23 minutes per episode

Not Rated (Suggested 16-Up). Contains extreme violence and gore, nudity, suggestive sexual situations with minors, and possible drug use on the part of the production staff.

In the future, a man named Sakura Kusakabe is destined to create the technology for eternal life, which (due to his lolicon tendencies) freezes all women's aging once they turn twelve. God refuses to allow this, and so he sends his angels to the past to kill Sakura before this happens. But one angel, Dokuro-chan, decides to try to change the future without killing him. Problem is that Dokuro-chan is very temperamental, and is constantly killing Sakura (and lots of other people too) in incredibly bloody ways with her giant spiked club. Good thing she can bring people back to life - if only to gruesomely kill them again the next time she loses her temper.

Story: D+

At first glance, one may think that Dokuro-chan is just a copy of DNA², as its premise is some chick from the future sent to the present day to prevent some kid from doing something potentially bad. The problem is that in the first two minutes of the series, Dokuro-chan has already accomplished the mission given to her by God. Yet, she continues to "hit the reset button." As a result, the story loses its point before the opening sequence.

Another problem with Dokuro-chan is its fan service. Yes, I'm talking about T&A, but Dokuro-chan happens to look like a 12-year-old, and that's just wrong.

Animation: C-

Nothing spectacular here, except whenever Dokuro-chan clubs Sakura across the head. And we're not talking about straight decapitation. Blood and pieces of his brain and skull go splat all over the room. It's like watching Gantz and Elfen Lied, only without any visual eye candy.

Soundtrack: C+

Too generic, even though the opening theme is a bit catchy.

Cast

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan features Saeko Chiba (Kyoko in Heat Guy J, Hajime in The World of Narue) as Dokuro-chan, Reiko Takagi (Kaolla Su in Love Hina, Rio in Ultra Maniac) as Sakura, Rie Kugimiya (Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist, Rizel in Rizelmine) as Sabato-chan, and Ayako Kawasumi (Mahoromatic, Megumi in RahXephon) as Shizuki.

The Bottom Line

If you're a sick freak who likes ultraviolent anime, go ahead and check out Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan. For everyone else, you may need more than a six-pack to endure the pain.

Links

Official Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

I enjoyed Hale Nochi Guu, and immeadiately recognized similar traits to this anime, so I really wanted to like it. However, the overboard fanservice, and the utter lack of any interesting characters (the characters were a big part of what made Guu such an excellent show) really killed any potential.

I enjoyed Hale Nochi Guu, and immeadiately recognized similar traits to this anime, so I really wanted to like it. However, the overboard fanservice, and the utter lack of any interesting characters (the characters were a big part of what made Guu such an excellent show) really killed any potential.

The main character was voiced by the same person who does Hare's voice, I noticed right away.

I'll be curious to see who licenses this (you know it will).

I did some research and found out that Geneon is handling the DVD rights in Japan. Perhaps that answers the question. If they can release ultraviolent titles like Hellsing and Paranoia Agent, as well as excessively ecchi titles like Ikki Tousen and Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite, licensing Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan should be no problem.

But then again, who's actually gonna buy it?

I did some research and found out that Geneon is handling the DVD rights in Japan. Perhaps that answers the question. If they can release ultraviolent titles like Hellsing and Paranoia Agent, as well as excessively ecchi titles like Ikki Tousen and Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite, licensing Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan should be no problem.

But then again, who's actually gonna buy it?

Somebody had to like it enough for it to get made in the first place. Plus, I know enough people who have no taste when it comes to anime. You know the kind who think, "If it comes from Japan, it's automatically good."

Somebody had to like it enough for it to get made in the first place. Plus, I know enough people who have no taste when it comes to anime. You know the kind who think, "If it comes from Japan, it's automatically good."

Oh yeah, I forgot about those types of people. Some Robotech and Gundam Wing fans come to mind when it comes to people with no taste.

Personally I kind of liked it. Then again, I have noticed that my views are not necessarily within the general consensus of this board. :lol: It's disposable fun, and at least amusing for the time it's running. Nowhere near a favorite, but good for a quick laugh.

I enjoyed Guu and Genshiken quite a bit. Interesting to know it's directed by the same person.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus