Kung-Fu Hustle

isamu

Chow's earlier comedy works are some of the funniest films ever made, however, the language barrier is sometimes difficult to leap.

319892[/snapback]

Can you please list these movies? All I know of his movies are Shaolin Soccer and Hustle. I'd love to see more of Chow's work.

Edited by Briareos

Chow's earlier comedy works are some of the funniest films ever made, however, the language barrier is sometimes difficult to leap.

319892[/snapback]

Can you please list these movies? All I know of his movies are Shaolin Soccer and Hustle. I'd love to see more of Chow's work.

319916[/snapback]

Hmm, that's hard to say because I think all his work from the late 80s to the mid-late 90s is amazing and there are literally over 30 films!

My suggestions for you to start would be "God of Cookery" (very much like Shaolin Soccer but all about cooking! You'll love it), "Forbidden City Cop", and "King of Comedy".

A lot of his earlier films are very low budget and total slapstick (think anime in real life actions) but cult flicks that are less accessible to english speaking audiences because of the complexity of the language of the jokes which get lost in the translation and all you're left with is the senseless slapstick. The thing is Chow movies always balance totally ridiculous full-out slapstick comedy that seems low-brow with very high quality writing and clever dialogue comedy. Those that don't get it, only see the slapstick and low budgetness of the films and think poorly of them.

He has a bunch of God of Gamblers parodies in the early 90s that are hard to get unless you've seen and understand the God of Gamblers series. I've always liked the "Fight Back to School" series also though, it's about Chow as a cop who has to go undercover in a highschool. Most of the classical Chinese historical comedies are more difficult to fathom and he has a few of them such as "Flirting Scholar" which is just jam packed with Chinese puns and wordplays that don't translate at all into English. Then there are more western themed parodies that I enjoy too like "Sixty Million Dollar Man" (wierd mix of Bionic Man and other in-jokes like Pulp Fiction) and "From Beijing with Love" (Bond parody) but they are your typical Hong Kong low-budget affair. Chow likes to so do a lot of visual gags (again, think anime effects in real life) and CG has really changed the style in his latest films. His earlier ones before the use of computers in film, have totally low-budget, oldskool Hong Kong style effects and I thought they were amazing and hilarious. They seem to have a lot more heart than the CG stuff these days.

My favorite Chow movie though, is "Tricky Brains" from 1991 where he is a professional whose job is to basically to trick people, as a sort of con-man but he does so in the most hilarious ways...which Andy Lau's straight-laced character finds unfortunately tangled into his life.

Edited by ComicKaze

Catch it, it is ready funny, but you probably won't get half the jokes if you don't speak cantonese. I think those movies (especially the earliest ones) Chow made in the 90' are way funnier without as much special effects, it the way Chow says it make his joke so funny, and they make Chow the funniest actor in HK.

He deserve to make as much as he does, which I believe is way more than any actors in Hollywood does?

I'm curious about this myself. How does it compare to the overseas version?

319933[/snapback]

I don't have the HK version, so I don't know the contents of that disc. As far as the R1 version goes, the movie can be played in Cantonese, English, French or with the commentary featuring Stephen Chow, et al.

Here's a list of the extras:

The Making of Kung-Fu Hustle

Hosted by Chi Chung Lam (the fat guy, Weight Vest in Shaolin Soccer) and Kwok Kuen Chan (Brother Sum, Empty Hand in Shaolin Soccer), this mini-documentary shows a behind-the-scenes look at the film. The duo also show you how to wash off the old-fashioned hair gel everyone wore in the movie.

Deleted Scenes

The original cuts of the Pig Sty Alley meeting and Sing's induction to the Axe Gang.

Outtakes & Bloopers

Not as funny as the ones in Shaolin Soccer, though.

Trailers

More reasons to hate Americanized film trailers, especially with the overuse of "Ballroom Blitz."

Interview with Stephen Chow

A US exclusive featuring martial arts journalist Ric Meyers.

Poster Gallery

Unfortunately, this doesn't include the original HK posters.

Catch it, it is ready funny, but you probably won't get half the jokes if you don't speak cantonese. I think those movies (especially the earliest ones) Chow made in the 90' are way funnier without as much special effects, it the way Chow says it make his joke so funny, and they make Chow the funniest actor in HK.

He deserve to make as much as he does, which I believe is way more than any actors in Hollywood does?

320004[/snapback]

Well I do kinda miss his old movies with his "father in law".

• 2 weeks later...

The commentary is with seeing the DVD. It's all in Chinese or subtitles off course but is pretty funny. Chow and the other comedic actors pretty much spend the whole time making fun of the movie.

My favorite lines are,

"As you know American Food sucks."

"Hamburgers are good."

Finally got to see the movie after having missed its run in the local theatres (one of the worst parts of working third shift is how difficult it is to go see a movie in theatres). Personally, I loved the movie. Lots of excellent performances, and imaginative visuals.

Not as good as Shaolin Soccer, I thought, but still a good movie. I'm looking forward to tracking down more of Chow's work.

• 1 month later...