PRE-Zentraedi arrival Destroid action

Oh and the SWAG was to make the VF's armor comparable to the destroids when in battloid mode meening with out it the destroids had at least 3 times the armor strength of the VFs.

This could be true but I think you will search in vain for concrete evidence comparing the strength of Destroid and Valkyrie armor.

Greater visability, 

At the cost of being a even a greater target themselves. Same argument been around since the days when the M-48, M-60, Centurion and Chieftain vs the T-54/5, T-62, T-64, and T-72 were the mainstay.
greater firing range,
The fire-control systems and the weapon(s) are important than what height it is fired from.
they would be firing at the vulnerable tops of tanks not the heavily armored fronts
Against older un-upgraded generation tank that would be correct, But with the advent of top-attack weapons, modern tanks been upgraded to remove the vulnerabiliity against those weapons.
Mecha (Robots) also have manueverability in thier favor. They can dodge more easily in more ways than a tank.
Prey tell how is a giant biped robot more manueverable then a tank or any other armor vehicle?
So yes tanks may see them coming but they're a lot more vunerable.
Making the assumption the tank crew won't be firing at the mechs and while moving to either keep the distance from better armed mechs or closing the distance against lesser armed mechs.

they would be firing at the vulnerable tops of tanks not the heavily armored fronts
Against older un-upgraded generation tank that would be correct, But with the advent of top-attack weapons, modern tanks been upgraded to remove the vulnerabiliity against those weapons.

Last I heard tanks were still less-heavily armored on top than on the front face.

Mecha (Robots) also have manueverability in thier favor. They can dodge more easily in more ways than a tank.
Prey tell how is a giant biped robot more manueverable then a tank or any other armor vehicle?

Sidestep = 2 axes of motion VS 1 axis of motion.

Last I heard tanks were still less-heavily armored on top than on the front face.

It greatly depends on which tank like the Abrams is iirc the front third is armored while the Merkevas and the latest Leopard 2A6 varients the entire top is heavily armored.

Again what with the assumption only the mech would be moving during the engagement?

Again what with the assumption only the mech would be moving during the engagement?

No. Not really. Conventional vehicles can go forwards/backwards. They arc this line in a turn. They CANNOT move sideways.

A mech has forward, back, left, and right. And all combinations thereof. It has full 2D motion.

Hence a mech is more maneuverable than a tank.

No. Not really. Conventional vehicles can go forwards/backwards. They arc this line in a turn. They CANNOT move sideways.

Like a human sidestepping or by pivoting the torso to face one way and the legs another?
A mech has forward, back, left, and right. And all combinations thereof. It has full 2D motion. Hence a mech is more maneuverable than a tank.
Kinda of irrelevent you have to take into account the turret, which will keep track of the mech regardless of direction it is moving in.

Like a human sidestepping or by pivoting the torso to face one way and the legs another?
A mech has forward, back, left, and right. And all combinations thereof. It has full 2D motion. Hence a mech is more maneuverable than a tank.
Kinda of irrelevent you have to take into account the turret, which will keep track of the mech regardless of direction it is moving in.

I've been away of this thread for some time i see. To answer your question a on the 1s page , mislovrit, it was the scene in afganistan (was it? or one of the other stans) when the Raiden armours made an appearance. The UN tanks couldn't hit any of them. And by the time they were close enough for CQB, the tanks were just sitting ducks.

Maneuverability issues....its not hard to imagine really. Imagine a person with a gun running up to you, you're in a wheelchair, and someone's on your shoulders holding a gun. 1stly, the person has total freedom of movement and control for his legs and his aiming, able to compensate for either. Whereas you, only control the movement of your wheelchair, which as it is has limited movement (unable to sidestep) and you need to rely on your "gunner", both unable to compensate for each other.

I'm no military techy, but i guess there are computers and electronics that compensate for movement and aiming....but again, the guy running up to you can sidestep, dodge, jump, crawl, crouch etc and a million other things to dodge your fire. You have a guy who has to fire a cannon on top of you and how you move also affects his fire. The guy running up to you can pivot his gun, and move at the same time....pretty much like Quake 3 mouse + keyboard. :lol:

Call gasaraki anime magic, but it did make sense to me. ;) Its just that today's technology doesn't allow for such agile movements for mecha. They're still too clumsy.

Like a human sidestepping.

The mech's still more maneuverable.

And yes, I did forget about rotating turrets when I initially said that.

I'm no military techy, but i guess there are computers and electronics that compensate for movement and aiming....but again, the guy running up to you can sidestep, dodge, jump, crawl, crouch etc and a million other things to dodge your fire. You have a guy who has to fire a cannon on top of you and how you move also affects his fire. The guy running up to you can pivot his gun, and move at the same time....pretty much like Quake 3 mouse + keyboard. :lol: \

I would recommand going to http://www.tank-net.org/ if you to truely know about tanks, their crews and the use of them.

And at what speed, cause the mech have to move faster than the turret tracking it and the mach 5 projectile fired at it?

I was just saying they're more maneuverable, hypothetically.

And I have ALREADY acknowledged that I briefly forgot about tank turrets.

We're talking in circles here.

And at what speed, cause the mech have to move faster than the turret tracking it and the mach 5 projectile fired at it?

Ah, but everbody knows that in giant robot anime, shots fired travel slowly enough that they can be seen by the human eye and easily dodged at the last second by a 60 ton giant robot. Happens all the time in Gundam animes, especially with the slow moving beams from their beam rifles :lol: .

Graham

Ah, but everbody knows that in giant robot anime, shots fired travel slowly enough that they can be seen by the human eye and easily dodged at the last second by a 60 ton giant robot. Happens all the time in Gundam animes, especially with the slow moving beams from their beam rifles  :lol: .

Graham

Which just furthers the support behind them using large caliber, low velocity shells which'd pretty much just bounce off a real MBT.

Ah, but everbody knows that in giant robot anime, shots fired travel slowly enough that they can be seen by the human eye and easily dodged at the last second by a 60 ton giant robot. Happens all the time in Gundam animes, especially with the slow moving beams from their beam rifles  :lol: .

Graham

Which just furthers the support behind them using large caliber, low velocity shells which'd pretty much just bounce off a real MBT.

But tanks can't get their shells up to speed in anime physics either.

Meaning that the mech can run in and pry the door open with it's bare hands.