SMT Monster... almost!

SMT website states that:

"Destroids - Finally getting out this weekend and next week."

I know most of you will say. "well it's about time"... and that is well deserved given the 9 month delay in the project. However, I think we should all be happy that a good quality kit is coming out from a producer like SMT. I know their delivery leaves a little bit to be desired, but when you get the final product, it is usually a Masterpiece.

Thanks to Gundamhead for designing this kit. I will post a review when I receive mine.

The quality isn't worth the wait for me. I am used to Volks and Workshop Cast resin kits. Those are masterpieces. A lot of the pattern work on SMT kits don't hold up under close inspection. They are nowhere as good as the Captain and Mr Nugget. (What's that smell. Oh it's on my nose. Nevermind!) :D

I knew y'all were gonna complain about the wait... and rightly so. As far as the quality of the resin, sculpt, etc. I have not seen much better. The second generation SW cast are crisp and clean, so was the Betty and many of his other stuff.

As far as the other folks you mention... you should know that every kit is not the same quality. I wouldn't judge one guy by one product. Take Robm for instance. I did get that VF-2SS upgrade set (I think a B Club recast) from Monkey Nugget and it was pretty poor. Tons of bubbles, bad resin, and very poor fit. No offense, Rob... by the look of the Booster, you either have a much better caster now or it was just a much better mold. Your new guy/process is much better now.

I'm a fan of Rob, I'm a fan of Colin, I'm a fan of Valkyrie, and I'm a fan of mslz22 Mike... all nice guys doing an honest job. Prices are fair. I will say that customer service with Monkey Nugget has been the best. But I won't hesitate to support the other guys as well. I think its good for the hobby to have all these guys doing well.

ok ok... I'll get down off my soap box. Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like ChristopherB!

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

ok ok... I'll get down off my soap box. Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like ChristopherB!

Damn, that was long winded. I hate it when people go on, and on about things. :p

I've always wanted my own "Mini-Me." ;)

I'm torn between getting the 1/100 Monster, or waiting for Mike's 1/72 Monster. Although it will be sometime before Mike's is ready.

I had a B-wing but sold it. The detail was too soft. The Betty is OK but I can't pay up front knowing that the wait could be up to a year. I already got burned on the RPF forums.

The Spider Bugs turned out very nice. And yes the Booster is going to be very dificult for me to fix. I wasn't complaining about the casting by SMT. Just the sharpness of detail and service.

And kudo's to Jessie.

Guest Bromgrev
I'm torn between getting the 1/100 Monster, or waiting for Mike's 1/72 Monster.

Get ready to berate me for my ignorance - there's a 1:100 Monster?! :o

Get ready to berate me for my ignorance - there's a 1:100 Monster?!  :o

Not yet <_< That's the problem.

:p

Coming soon from SMT models. (soon being a bit of an ironic descriptor) Honestly, of all of this, I truly feel terrible for Joe. He puts his blood into that kit and has to wait for SMT to turn it around. Soon, won't be soon enough to be fair to Joe.

Im not too concerned with their quality as far as casting.Its a model it can be fixed. Im worried about the resin they use it doesnt hold up well over time with weight. Im still trying to get the missile arms, and landing gear struts on my dropship to go straight. i may have to get the blueprints for the landing gear of an AVRO Vulcan acft and make new struts from brass tube. There is also the wait. Especially now that im overseas.

• 2 weeks later...

Again belive it when I see it.

I have been told "you will have it by the weekend" twice on a kit I bought in early Dec. @nd weekend just went by. No kit (Bubble Fighter)

I kinda get let down everyday I come home and there's no package from SMT.

I haven't had to wait as long as some others but this is rediculous.

I'll never order from him unless it's straight off the shelf.

The chances of me getting my SMT order are at about the same odds as me putting super-unleaded in my Yugo.

-THOR

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine if you had ordered one of thier AT-AT's. Those poor sods had to wait over a year. Personally I learned a lot from thier business practices. Don't take money for product you don't have. Down payments are OK but only from people who have already proven thier trust-worthiness. (Is that a word?)

I haven't bought anything from them since the Probe Droid came out.

I'm asking for my money back if I don't get my kits this week.

i do not blame you it sounds like this kit is never going to be done. when exactly did you pay for it?

Its too bad...they do nice stuff but it seems their customer service is terrible. Personally, I don't like to take money unless the kits are a sure thing and will be out in a reasonable time. Beyound that, I find when things do come up (as long as they are reasonable) if I just talk to people it makes all the difference in the world.

Zeo,

I ordered both the Monster and Dropship for $383 back in early DEC 04. I guess it was around $180 each without looking at SMT's website. Colin failed to deliver on his shipping estimate of 8 weeks when I first ordered. I'ts now been 21 weeks and counting. Several times he's said my kits will be shipped soon or there was just a little left. His latest e-mial said it was ready and shipping right away. If I don't get that tracking number this week, I want my money back.

-THOR

I pre-ordered the Monster when he said it would be out in July. That was July of 2004 if anyone was keeping track. Delays delays delays and then after one of my notes he said I would get it next week. That was April 2 of 2005. That's over a month ago in case anyone is still keeping track. Frankly, I hate to bash Colin because the guy has a good heart, but clearly little business sense. I also don't want to bash this kit because:

A.) I don't have it yet, so it might be freeeeekin' awesome

B.) Our own Gundamhead did the master... need I say more?

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

Im glad im not dealing wit SMT anymore. Ill just patiently wait on the new 1/72 one. How is the progress on that awyway?

should have some progress in the next couple of weeks, i have cleared my plate of some other stuff that needed to get done first...i will post in the other thread when the time comes....

mike

Thanks mike. If you need a "beta tester" so to speak drop me a line. from what i have seen so far thouh it seems like its in good hands.

Do you think SMT may have internal problems causing the difficulties in shipping aside from their CND order from LFL? They did lose a big chunk in their model revenue when they were forced to drop the SW line.

The excuses he had were 1) He had an employee who was skimming money from the operation. 2) He casts other things too (not just models) and that business ramped up and he couldn't handle the volume of both. Regardless, he should've pro-actively provided some info about timing without us having to bug him all the time. It's a crappy way to run a business. I'm sure he's lost tons of business from people on these boards because of this. He has to keep this in mind when he promises something he can't deliver.

On a side note, mslz22 runs a great out of his house business. Mike, I think you do an awesome job. Keep up the great work.