My 1/72 Hasegawa Battroid YF-19!

AlphaHX

Thanx again guys for the kind words. I still have sooo much work to do tho. :(

I'm barely touching the tip of the ice berg. I have LOTS of sanding to do and lots of panel scribing to do. Geez... kitbashing is so much work! :p

Hopefully I can get the bases down soon. I gotta attach his other shoulder/arm and connect the cod piece. I also might rethink something new for the leg posability. I must say, the 19 was never meant to be too posable. Even with the capability, theres parts of him that tends to get in the way when trying to pose it in certain ways. <_<

Killer work so far mate..... but have you considered making it so teh knee joint moves without leaving that big gap there? Maybe if you added soem detail stuff to the underside, or made it with a cowl that moves but covers the gaps? Impressive work all together. Cant wait to see it finished!

Ive thought about the gap and I cant think of an easy way of getting rid of it. If I come up with something, I'll definitely implement it. :D

Was just wondering if the back of the head was part of the Hasegawa kit and do you still need to work on the head to make it look like the YF 19 head?

Yeah, the back of the head is still the Hasegawa kit. I still have lots of work to do to make it look more like the YF-19 head. All I've done so far is flatten down the fire valk's chin and gave him visors. Like I was saying before, I'm going to deal with the details after I get the main base down.

You can see the visor and the flatter chin in this picture:

head.jpg

Heres the back of the head. You can see that I puttied the Hasegawa partial head to the back of the fire valk head.

post-3-1109282069.jpg

post-3-1109992131.jpg

Wow, this is going to be real cool.

That's what I'm hoping for! :D

Anyways, here are some body pose tests. After the putty dries and if all is well, I'm going to attach the legs/cod piece next. The main base is almost done! :p

On to the pictures...

Pose 1:

post-3-1110080301_thumb.jpg

That second one is killer, but the first one is kinda off...  still WIP tho, so no worries.  Wish I had a hand like that for my Yammie, cuz I would do that too.

Yeah, the first pose does looks weird. Haha, I gotta admit tho, I wasnt trying to hard. The nose coming out the chest got in the way and I was like, eh... whatever... I'm just testing it. :p

Wow, looking real nice!

FOr your first custom work this really impressive.

Cant whait to see this finished!

Thanx.

Being my first custom, I'm actually liking how its turning out. I thought it would be a lot lot lot worse. :unsure:

Edited by AlphaHX

nice and interesting custom alphaHX. wish my custom had that articulation on the legs and knees, since mine is almost a fixed pose model except for the arms that still have some mobility. here's a picture of mine, right now i'm trying to repair it since the last time it fell from the shelf.

by the way what type of screw did you use for the leg-knee joint? and how about trying to do a semi variable or variable one using the bandai and hasegawa kits?

post-3-1110263994_thumb.jpg

nice and interesting custom alphaHX. wish my custom had that articulation on the legs and knees, since mine is almost a fixed pose model except for the arms that still have some mobility. here's a picture of mine, right now i'm trying to repair it since the last time it fell from the shelf.

by the way what type of screw did you use for the leg-knee joint? and how about trying to do a semi variable or variable one using the bandai and hasegawa kits?

Thanx strider. Sorry to hear that your 19 dropped. :(

I was actually considering to use a lot of the parts from Yamato like you did, before I decided to use the Bandai VF-19 kit. But... in the end I couldnt get myself to take apart my 19 like that and since this was my first kitbash, I didnt have much faith in myself. But man wouldve been a lot easier if I couldve taken the head/neck, body, back, etc from the Yamato. <_<:p

Sorry, I dont understand what you're asking about the screws. What do you mean, type? Its just a normal mini screw. Around 1/8ish of an inch and about half an inch long.

When I was working on this project, I was thinking about how difficult it would be to make a variable Hasegawa 19 using the Bandai's "variable" scheme. It actually wouldnt be too hard... since its no where near perfect variable. I might actually try it for kits after I'm done with this kit. :p

But since I'm faaaaar from finishing this kit, I'll think about my next project later. I was actually thinking of working on my SHE VF-19 after this but I'm super indecisive so we'll see. :rolleyes:

Also my next project might not be model related whatsoever. I might be working on a DVD sleeve for Macross and Macross Plus. It was brought up in this thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...pic=13075&st=80

So I thought I'll take a crack at it.

Blah, so many Macross related stuff to do. :blink:

I was pondering whether or not to make the legs fatter and I realized that I probably need to since the Hasegawa legs definitely werent made for a Battroid. Before I permenantly attach the cod piece, I'm still working on a way to make the legs more posable and now to make the legs fatter. Blah, and I thought the legs were the only part I didnt have to work on. Sux for meeee...

Anyways, heres a quick update picture. A quick idea of what it looks like all together. :D

Hehe... and yeah, I gotta attach the shield. :p

post-3-1110272047_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

The bandai vf-19 gunpod its wrong if we look at the artwork, do you plan to correct it? I planned to do that with some putty, at least the front section that is completely wrong, i'm curious about what will you do.

The bandai vf-19 gunpod its wrong if we look at the artwork, do you plan to correct it? I planned to do that with some putty, at least the front section that is completely wrong,  i'm curious about what will you do.

Yeah, I plan to correct it. It was one of the last to do things tho. I was probably going to model it after the Yamato gun. Its not too off from the lineart.

Heres all the guns together.

post-3-1110277007_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

The front isnt too bad, it just needs to be fatter. Heres a picture of the bandai gun super imposed on the Yamato. I enlarged the bandai gun to size of the Yamato gun just to show you want I'm talking about. I'm probably not going to bother to make the bandai one longer but I'll probably make it fatter in the front... and a bit on the back.

post-3-1110277124.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

I've even considered combining the bandai and hasegawa guns. I still havent thrown that option out. If its easier for me to work with, I'll probably do it. The biggest problem with the hasegawa gun was the fact that the back was too short. Other than that it was workable...

If you just want to putty it, it shouldnt be too hard. I like the details from the Hasegawa gun so I might just try to create some frankenstein gun to preserve some of the detail. :p

Edited by AlphaHX

Oh yeah, the other problem is the back part here that I circled green. It needs to be slimmed down a bit. Even tho its probably closer to the lineart, it gets in the way when my battroid tries to hold it. You should notice that Yamato simmed it down as well. The problem when I tested it out was that the back park forced the back of the gun to tilt upward making the gun point downward.

post-3-1110277615_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

Heres the quick frankenstein gun that I was talking about. Front of the gun is the Hasegawa and the back of the gun is the Bandai. I just did a super quick photoshop. The top is just the Bandai back on top of the gun and the bottom is a quick put together to give you a idea of what it looks like.

post-3-1110278415.jpg

Wow! This is coming along nicely can't wait to see more. Hope you do the gun more like the curvy yamato gun....I think it just looks better than the bandai or Hasegawa's sculpt.

The yamato gun seems a bit too curvy compared to the lineart. I'm semi working on the gun now just cuz I'm waiting for everything else to dry. I'll see how my frankenstein gun works out. If it still doesnt look right, I'll add more to it to make it look more curvy like the yamato gun. :D

Well...aside from the bits you havent sanded, I'd say it looks pretty hot. One gripe tho, is the large gap between the chest piece and the nosecone.... you oughta move the nosecone up or the torso down to fill that gap. Otherwise, awesome. Love that second pic on the stand...

Well...aside from the bits you havent sanded, I'd say it looks pretty hot.  One gripe tho, is the large gap between the chest piece and the nosecone.... you oughta move the nosecone up or the torso down to fill that gap. Otherwise, awesome.  Love that second pic on the stand...

The nosecone doesnt fit anymore into the chest. Theres not much I can do about that. The Hasegawa was never made for that to fit.

Well... if you pose the YF like a bailarina, sure it wont look right at all.

Other than that, it looks great.

I think you should prime it, that will help you a LOT to see what else you need to sand and fix.

It will also look quite badass

Hahah, yeah... obviously. I still have a lot to do. Priming, sanding, panal scribing... etc. Blah... but yeah, the general part is semi done. I might beef up his legs a bit more and put on the stablizers on soon.

I gonna prime it soon. The red, white and blue and is starting to get on my nerves. :p

Edited by AlphaHX

It's gorgeous. You should take a couple more pics of it in various poses (spread-leg, crouching etc) to better convey the superiority of your custom. Though I guess you'd want to prime it first.

It's gorgeous. You should take a couple more pics of it in various poses (spread-leg, crouching etc) to better convey the superiority of your custom. Though I guess you'd want to prime it first.

Thanx for the compliments! :)

I'll prime it soon. :p

I decided to have a little more fun. Heres some more pictures...

Heres my 19 with the toynami posable vf-1.

post-3-1110944078_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX