Best Fantasy Hack n' Slash for Xbox?

Dax415

There's that old D&D game that uses the same engine as X-Men. It's up-to 4 players at once. You can save your character's progress, and you level as you gain experience. The game play is just like the old Gauntlet, but in 3-D, and you have a lot more abilities. You can gain new abilities too, as you level up.

If you have friends, X-Men Legends, D&D Heroes, and Baldur's Gate are all very good Gauntlet style hack and slashers, but they're not as much fun by yourself. Return of the King is a fun pure arcade action 'Double Dragon'-esque hacker that you can play with someone else. If you want to hack and slash your way in a somewhat historical setting, with one of the Dynasty Warriors (3 is probably the better X-Box one) or Samurai Warriors will through you in the middle of battlefields with thousands of grunts to slaughter....but if like that idea, but prefer sci-fi, you can pick up Crimson Sea which is basically the same except for the enemies being aliens. Fable, as mention, is a decent simple hack and slash RPG game (now that all the hype is buried, people can actually enjoy it without being disappointed over what it was promised to be). For hacking and slashing that includes a lot of jumping (and crontroller throwing), Ninja Gaiden might also be up your alley.

If I was home, I'd dig into my stash to see if there's more, but the above it a good start. I'm not much of a hack and slasher except for the group ones (although I'm one of those DW/SW addicts), so generally if I picked it up, it was really good.

Dynasty Warriors 3

Dynasty Warriors 4

Samurai Warriors

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II

Fable

The Bard's Tale: Song of the Bard

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Demon Stone

I'm going to vote against Ninja Gaiden. I'll give it all the credit in the world for the stunning visuals and incredible production values, but who the hell came up with hard = old school = fun, and therefore, the harder a game is, the more fun it must be? Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but Ninja Gaiden was a game where the regular enemies were on equal footing as you, they outnumbered you like 8 to 1 most of the time, and the bosses were ridiculously hard. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I'd go as far as to say that Ninja Gaiden was too hard to be fun.

Oh, and Sudeki fits the genre of fantasy hack'n'slash, I suppose, but it sucked.

And they're making a new Gauntlet.

Dynasty Warriors 3

Dynasty Warriors 4

Samurai Warriors

Fable

Demon Stone

I'm going to vote against Ninja Gaiden. I'll give it all the credit in the world for the stunning visuals and incredible production values, but who the hell came up with hard = old school = fun, and therefore, the harder a game is, the more fun it must be? Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but Ninja Gaiden was a game where the regular enemies were on equal footing as you, they outnumbered you like 8 to 1 most of the time, and the bosses were ridiculously hard. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I'd go as far as to say that Ninja Gaiden was too hard to be fun.

Oh, and Sudeki fits the genre of fantasy hack'n'slash, I suppose, but it sucked.

Gotta part company with you on this one, Mike. While the titles you mentioned are good, Ninja Gaiden deserves to be at the top of that list. Granted, the game is hard. But who wants to spend good money on a game with an overused engine (Dynasty/Samurai Warriors) or a title the can beat in practically one sitting (Demon Stone)?

ps Fable would be a close second, followed by the Onimusha remix for the XBox.

I'm going with milkman, Baldur's Gate was fun. Also, Morrowind sucked up about 100+ hours of my time. Fable was good, but the game ended about when it felt like it should be getting good. way too short. I heard some rumours that a 1.5 version would be released but I don't know if it's gonna happen.

Dynasty Warriors 3

Dynasty Warriors 4

Samurai Warriors

Fable

Demon Stone

I'm going to vote against Ninja Gaiden.  I'll give it all the credit in the world for the stunning visuals and incredible production values, but who the hell came up with hard = old school = fun, and therefore, the harder a game is, the more fun it must be?  Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but Ninja Gaiden was a game where the regular enemies were on equal footing as you, they outnumbered you like 8 to 1 most of the time, and the bosses were ridiculously hard.  Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I'd go as far as to say that Ninja Gaiden was too hard to be fun.

Gotta part company with you on this one, Mike. While the titles you mentioned are good, Ninja Gaiden deserves to be at the top of that list. Granted, the game is hard. But who wants to spend good money on a game with an overused engine (Dynasty/Samurai Warriors) or a title the can beat in practically one sitting (Demon Stone)?

I'd rather spend the money on a game I'd beat in a day or that's wicked fun despite its over-used engine than spend money on game, plus money on multiple controllers, for a game that makes we swear at my TV until the neighbors call the cops because I'm stuck on the same boss for a week. A challenge is fun, but Ninja Gaiden isn't really challenging... it's hard for the sake of being hard. Too hard to actually be fun, in my opinion.

Dynasty Warriors 3

Dynasty Warriors 4

Samurai Warriors

Fable

Demon Stone

I'm going to vote against Ninja Gaiden.  I'll give it all the credit in the world for the stunning visuals and incredible production values, but who the hell came up with hard = old school = fun, and therefore, the harder a game is, the more fun it must be?  Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but Ninja Gaiden was a game where the regular enemies were on equal footing as you, they outnumbered you like 8 to 1 most of the time, and the bosses were ridiculously hard.  Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I'd go as far as to say that Ninja Gaiden was too hard to be fun.

I'd rather spend the money on a game I'd beat in a day or that's wicked fun despite its over-used engine than spend money on game, plus money on multiple controllers, for a game that makes we swear at my TV until the neighbors call the cops because I'm stuck on the same boss for a week. A challenge is fun, but Ninja Gaiden isn't really challenging... it's hard for the sake of being hard. Too hard to actually be fun, in my opinion.

But you have to admit....it does make life interesting for you and your neighbors. I think back to all the cursing I did while playing Thunder Force II and III, not to mention Lightening Force (TFIV) and how my neighbors knew it wasn't a domestic dispute-it was just that crazy kid next door stuck on another video game. :lol::lol::lol: