Relative size of the different scale Valks

armentage

Is anyone willing to make a chart showing the relative size differences between the various Valkyrie toy scales?

I'm interested in seeing how tall the 1/72nd toy vs the 1/60th, 1/55th, and finally the monster 1/48ths are.

I've been working on a 1/72th Hasegawa fighter kit, and the thing is huge! I've never seen a 1/48th valk, and would really like to know how big they are.

P.S. -- what scale was the Transformers Jetfire toy? 1/60th?

jetfire was 1/55

like the bandai reissues.

so the 1/48 will be bigger than your jetfire.

i don't have any 1/72 VF-1s (well, I've got a hasegawa model i haven't put together yet),

but here's a 1/48, 1/60, and 1/55 in battroid mode next to each other.

sorry, i'm too lazy to do a chart, i think there's one somewhere already, you just hafta search for it.

post-4-1108483682_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chowser

here's a quick copy of the dimensions from the Macross Compendium

you can do the conversions for scale.

DIMENSIONS, EXTERNAL:

Fighter mode:

Wing span: fully extended 20°

14.78 m

VT-1C (estimated), fully extended 14.78 m

swept backward 42° 12.12 m

overswept backward 72° 8.25 m [8.75 m]

in stowage position at 122° 4.70 m

Length overall:

14.23 m

VT-1C (estimated) 13.88 m

with FAST Pack system 14.0 m

with atmospheric-escape booster system 18.9 m

Height overall:

3.84 m [2.85 m]

with FAST Pack system 5.5 m

GERWALK mode:

Wing span: fully extended 20°

14.78 m

swept backward 42° 12.12 m

overswept backward 72° 8.25 m [8.75 m]

in stowage position at 122° 4.70 m

Length overall:

11.3 m

Height overall:

8.7 m

Battroid mode:

Height overall:

12.68 m

with GBP-1S system 14.1 m

Width overall: 7.3 m

Wing span: fully extended 20° 14.78 m

Width overall: with GBP-1S system 9.8 m

Length overall:

4 m

with GBP-1S system 4.8 m

The 1/48th is huge~!

I've always felt the Valkyrie was pretty small for a jet, in fighter mode. I've recently built an F-14 and F-117 that I'm going to display with a VF-1, VF-19, and a VF-21. (All 1/72nd in fighter mode)

Alas, I do not have the skill nor budget for those gigantic 1/48th resin kits.

Looking at those numbers from Macross Compendium, I can see that Im right about the Valkyrie being little! 11m is very, very small for a jet fighter. Even the Harrier is 13m (45ish ft) long. The F-14, F-117, F-18, and F-15 are closer to 18m (50ish ft)

Edited by armentage

jetfire was 1/55

like the bandai reissues.

so the 1/48 will be bigger than your jetfire.

i don't have any 1/72 VF-1s (well, I've got a hasegawa model i haven't put together yet),

but here's a 1/48, 1/60, and 1/55 in battroid mode next to each other.

sorry, i'm too lazy to do a chart, i think there's one somewhere already, you just hafta search for it.

Hey chowser,

Is your Max VF-1S 1/48 holding the SMGs from the HALO 2 figure?

yes, everything in the pics i posted are transforming toys. none of my models are put together yet.

a 1/48 should cost you between $100-$150 depending on which you want.

I'd say it's worth it to avoid the hassle of having to paint and glue everything together to get something this big that is easily played with.

I realize the 1/48th transforming Yamato's are toys... I meant to say that as a modeler, I wish I could afford some of those 1/48th resin Valkyrie kits.

AFAIK there aren't any easily obtainable 1/48 (transforming or otherwise) plastic models,... is this correct? If there were, I wouldn't limit my self to 1/72nd scale real-world planes :)

Thanks for all the pics Chowser-

So the big red one in the background on the right is a 1/48th, and the 2 standing to his left are 1/55ths? (The VF-1S and VF1-J Hikaru)

If your talking about my pic, it goes from left to right, back row: 1/60 Hikaru 1A, 1/55 Hikaru 1A, 1,55 Hikaru 1S (TV), 1/48 Hikaru 1A, front row: 1/55 Hikaru 1J, 1/48 Roy Strike 1S. (sheesh, I didn't realise I liked Hikaru's 1A so much :lol: )

Silly newbies, Macross is for purists haha j/k

You guys really need to check your resources. Graham did a comparison shot of the first prototype of the 1/48. and here is the comparison shot.

battroid-comparison-group-4.jpg

From L-R: 1/48, 1/55, MPC 1/55, 1/60, 1/72 HCM

Edited by Solscud007

Yes they are, took forever to get those hands on them. Finally took them off since everytime someone bumped the area, one or both would fall off. :)

Cool! I thought so. I got one of my valks holding the sniper rifle from the HALO weapons pack. My goal is to get the rocket launcher fitted into the valk's hands.

Yes they are, took forever to get those hands on them. Finally took them off since everytime someone bumped the area, one or both would fall off. :)

Cool! I thought so. I got one of my valks holding the sniper rifle from the HALO weapons pack. My goal is to get the rocket launcher fitted into the valk's hands.

i'm not sure how big the grip for the gun is but have you tried using the TV hands? or even super-poseable hands? cause they'll probably fit and hold it pretty tight. just a suggestion. :)

i'm not sure how big the grip for the gun is but have you tried using the TV hands? or even super-poseable hands? cause they'll probably fit and hold it pretty tight. just a suggestion. :)

Actually after forcing several objects not meant for Valkyrie hands on my 48s I can say with athority that the skeleton hands are better for for this sort of thing. You can strech them a little. The fat hands dont give at all. ;)

Looking at those numbers from Macross Compendium, I can see that Im right about the Valkyrie being little!  11m is very, very small for a jet fighter.  Even the Harrier is 13m (45ish ft) long.  The F-14, F-117, F-18, and F-15 are closer to 18m (50ish ft)

11m is the length for Gerwalk mode, the fighter is 14.23m long. Still small compared to real world fighters.

post-4-1108509690.jpg

Edited by valk1j