Yamato YF-19 Ball Joint Mod

AlphaHX

I bought a pretty beat up YF-19A to mod a few months back and I finally got around to taking pictures. I'm no Pat S but I do plan to mod it some more when I get the chance. The next mod I want to do is make the gerwalk mode look better by making the legs bend forwards more. But anyways, here are some pictures of my mod. IMO, it looks a billion times better with this simple mod.

Heres a normal simple standing position. He looks a lot better without the stiff straight legs anymore.

Edited by AlphaHX

Looking good, whatever happened to Pat S' project?

I really dont know. He progressed a lot over a short period of time... then he just kind of... stopped. Well, I hope he continues. I plan to work on mine some more after my midterms. I really need to get the mods out of the way so I can recolor it the Mac Plus colors cuz I'm not too big on the whole baby/light blue thing. Oh well, I'll post more when I get around to modding more. Meanwhile, I hope Pat S continues his. :)

hi that looks good, i did somewhat the same thing to my VF-11 because the stupid joints broke right out of the package <_< yea it can pose much better now , wow the paint on that YF-19 is scuffed up pretty bad. :blink:

hi that looks good, i did somewhat the same thing to my VF-11 because the stupid joints broke right out of the package <_<  yea it can pose much better now , wow the paint on that YF-19 is scuffed up pretty bad. :blink:

Heh... yeah, like I said, I bought it specifically for modding. It was like... 30 bucks or something for this and a first edition YF-21... which was also a bit beat up. The VF-19A came in this condition. I truthfully dont know how the old owner did this but it looks like it actually took effort to scratch it up like this. Oh well, I dont mind, I plan to repaint it anyways. ;)

You should post up pictures of your VF-11... :D

Edited by AlphaHX

i look forward to seeing the repaint please post pics when you can. do you have any plans as to what color you will repaint it as?

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

i look forward to seein the repaint please post pics when you can. do you have any plans as to what colr you will repaint it as?

chris

Probably just the Mac Plus YF-19 colors. Nothing special. Might adding some shading, etc just to make it look a bit better but besides that I dont really have plans to make it anything else. Maybe a "Blue Roses" scheme... I dunno, I havent really set my mind to anything. I just know that I'm definitely going to repaint it. :p

Geez, the previous guy must have run his car over it or something. That's bad.

But your modification? That's good :D

Looks way better of course. Excellent work. Can't wait to see the painted pics.

How did you do this?  WHat are those joints from?

Looks great.

Thanx, theyre just Wave's B-Joint. I read some reviews saying that these are actually really loose and there are other companies that make tighter ones but I can truthfully say I havent had a problem with it being loose... yet. <_<:p

I actually just winged it. Heres the site of the original guy who did it.

http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~hekky/toy/YF-19.htm

This is my first time doing anything like this so I just winged it and started cutting and drilling. Turned out a lot better than I thought imo. :D

Geez, the previous guy must have run his car over it or something. That's bad.

But your modification? That's good :D

Looks way better of course. Excellent work. Can't wait to see the painted pics.

Hahah, it seems that way. He sent me pics beforehand so I know what I was getting myself into. :p

I actually plan to mod a bit some more before I paint. What do you guys think of a "Blue Roses" color scheme on a YF-19? I was just thinking instead of the yellow tho, I'll keep the red on the 19. Might turn out quite interesting imo. ;)

Edited by AlphaHX

Hmm... or maybe a low vis color? :huh:

Look more a Max vf-19A... hmmmm S.H.E. :p

Heh, the low vis also has a tint of dark blue here and there... I guess my version was just a bit brighter. Nevertheless, I like the low vis/max YF-19. :D

Hahah... yeah, thats the SHE model. I just used it to recolor since it was easier. Damn... I wish the Yamato looked like the SHE. :(

Great job AlphaX! When you get a chance, could you please post a close-up pic of the legs to show us how you mount the sockets? Thanks.

Thanx! :)

I'm actually pretty busy today so I'll see if I can get around to take pictures either later tonight or hopefully tomorrow.

Edited by AlphaHX

Hey man, other then the fact that you had to mod the ball-joints, how is the toy otherwise? I really like the design...

Check this thread.

IMO, there are plenty wrong with it that I hope to change. The fighter mode is much too fat and needs to be skinnier. For some the nose of the plane may be too short but I'm fine with it. Gerwalk mode looks kind of silly since its legs cant be bent forward enough. To me the legs are too long and a bit fat looking. There'll be some things that I probably cant mod but we'll see how things go...

I plan to mod my 21 next. That might be awhile tho since theres a lot to work with the 19. :p

So can we get a shot of the inside of the hips? i think I will be doing this for myself, and I would like to be prepared.... I'm too scared to open up my one single YF-19's hips for fear of losing soemthing. I would also liek to see your socket mount inside them. What did you do to make sure they still line up in fighter mode where they need to be? And how did you mount the balls to the hip bar?

So can we get a shot of the inside of the hips? i think I will be doing this for myself, and I would like to be prepared.... I'm too scared to open up my one single YF-19's hips for fear of losing soemthing. I would also liek to see your socket mount inside them. What did you do to make sure they still line up in fighter mode where they need to be? And how did you mount the balls to the hip bar?

Hold your horses. :p:lol:

I told you I was busy yesterday. ;)

Anyways, heres the picture of the hip. The joint is actually mounted inside the leg. The reason for this is to make sure your legs arent too far apart in fighter mode. ill show you want i mean in a sec.

For anyone who wants to try this, they need to bring out thei YF-19 and compare pictures. What I did to mount on the balls was cut off the part that goes into the leg which are pretty much just two sticks that were screwed in. Make sure you dont cut beyond the green parts in the picture. After that, I just drilled it and shoved the ball joints thru... in which I just super glued again. :lol::p

There seems to be a bunch of ways of doing this. Super glue imo is just the ghetto way of doing it but it gets the job done. Plus, it came out a lot cleaner than I thought.

Like I said before, I did this for kicks and just winged it. I more or less did it just to see if I was capable of doing it.

I'm actually in the process of kitbashing a hasegawa yf-19 into a posable battroid mode so I just wanted to play around with joints, etc before I get around to working with my kitbash. I also was planning to make a Studio HalfEye kit soon so I just wanted to get familiar with joints, screws, etc before I move onto those projects. So yeah, this yamato mod is my frankenstein project to play around with. :D;):p

Nice, but IMHO, the ugliest thing about the YF-19 is still that giant hideous sliding thing in the back.  I wish someone would come up with a resin cap or something to de-fugly it a bit.

Giant sliding thing in the back? Back of which mode? :huh:

I meant this...

yamyf19b2.jpg

The big sliding bracket with the hugely visible screws. At least it's in the back in Battroid mode, but I can't stand it.

Nice, but IMHO, the ugliest thing about the YF-19 is still that giant hideous sliding thing in the back.  I wish someone would come up with a resin cap or something to de-fugly it a bit.

Giant sliding thing in the back? Back of which mode? :huh:

I meant this...

The big sliding bracket with the hugely visible screws. At least it's in the back in Battroid mode, but I can't stand it.

Ah, I see. After I was done with the mods I was planning to putty up all the parts with screws. I cant stand the screws either and those caps dont do much since they look hidious and they tend to pop out a lot. I've lost a few already. <_<:p

Edited by AlphaHX

Thanks AlphaX...  didnt mean to sound in a rush.  my bad.  Might definetaly have to try this now.

On a side note:  how come in every picture I see, the tail fins fold outwards in battroid mode, but on mine they fold in?

Haha, dont worry about it. I was just playing around. :p;)

Let me know if you run into any problems. Maybe I could help out. :D

Truthfully, no clue about the tail fin but in all the pictures of seen and in the anime, the fins fold in so I wouldnt worry about it. :p

Btw, mine folds in too. :)

Edited by AlphaHX