The Dagger is Reforged

Knight26

Don't worry MSW I still plan to use your concept as the basis of a future design, but now we take a step back. Some history on this particular fighter redesign. The SPlicer 1000 "Dagger" is the last SPlicer model to fly as a single seater. It is a hold over design from the previous war before the main storyline war. As such it is the last of the "Centenial" Series and the First of the new "Millenial" series. When first introduced it was meant to be a superiority fighter and performed well in that role for years so a great many were ordered and built. However as technology advanced the fighter proved incapable of adapting with the times as after as its younger siblings. As a result it was relegated to more rear line duties, filling the recon and training role. Basically this the F-5/T-38 of my stories. Most pilots learn to fly in these then transistion to their primary mount. Frontline use is almost exclusively as armed recon craft.

The Design will incororate only the minimum of common features from the later models, mostly the cockpit interior and engine nozzles, I am still debating whether or not it will have the docking fixtures. The Splicer 1000 was also the first of my Splicer series designs to start life on paper and not as a Robotix model. Though I have to admit that the original concept was a delta winged upside down X-Wing. I'm going to try and keep the weapons loadout the same, four cannon (two types) and six missiles, may go to eight. First up the old design for comparison then shots of the new concept.

All the details on the old version are actually textured on, it was an experiment and I liked how it came out. Mind you I was using an older machine at the time so I could not even dare to model in the details. I am quite proud of the textures and some of their features may work their way into the redesign. These were the first textures I created without modelling the details in first, and propably the last.

post-26-1107285926_thumb.jpg

Update time:

1) I redid the wings a little giving them some camber and adding a dogtooth to the anhedral tips.

2) I added the weapons, looking at two different configurations right now. I am digging the second version with the buried EPC's myself.

3) I lengthened the wing a bit at one point between moving the EPC's, whatever weapons config I decide on the wing will stay this way.

Next up:

1) reshape the aft fuselage a little.

2) Correct the wing mounting problem, it floats in the rear.

3) Add the reverse thrusters to the engines.

4) Add the dorsal docking locks?

5) Give it manuevering thrusters

6) Give it a dorsal fin?

7) Add Sensor Pods

8) Add the undercarriage

9) Cut the cockpit tub and insert the cockpit interior

10) Detail, detail, detail.

Thoughts, Ideas?

@Panzer: Thanks for the props dog, peace out.

post-26-1107298192_thumb.jpg

Ok Update Time:

I jumped around a little on this one:

1) I fixed the wing mount, it no longer floats in places

2) I added the retro thrusters, two on two, one below, per engine. THis is the late war pred-PDE config, these will get PDEs as well eventually but most will stay conventionally powered.

3) I bit the bullet and added the docking mounts.

4) I cut the cockpit tub and inserted the cockpit interior.

5) I altered the color a little bit to a true Mustard Yellow, hehe I am evil to my characters sometimes. Imagining having to wear that color uniform for three years as a cadet, hehe.

post-26-1107369953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knight26

Last update for tonight. I am about at the limits of what my work computer can take on here and still work at a reasonable speed. However I still have some things I want to do on here before I start doing the really detailed stuff at home. Anyway here is what I have done:

1) Added a Dorstal fin, it may or may not stay, I am not quite feeling right about it.

2) Installed all the main thruster banks, I will do a tally later, needless to say this little beasty should be fairly manueverable.

3) I installed sensor pods on the anhedraled dogtooth area, not quite sure about where or not I will keep those though, thoughts?

I still have the undercarriage and control surfaces to model in before I start detailing and am still open to suggestions on how to improve the design, any ideas? Something just seems to be missing right now and I am not sure what.

post-26-1107386584_thumb.jpg

The foward cannons and the wing cannons don't seem to mesh well with the overall lines... I'd move the forward cannons up laterally so that they sit on top of the wings... either that or move them into the nose a la modern day fighter cannons. Just IMHO of course, we all have different design philosophies =)

As per Akilae's suggestion I played around with the PLASER Cannon placement this morning. I put them back under the nose like they were on the original, just slid back quite bit. I kind of like them there. I also installed the landing gear, and in the process had to redo the ventral thrusters on the engines. I think it came out well over all. Since I m oved the PLASER cannons I am going to redo the lateral nose thrusters. I will play around with the PLASER placement a little more as well. Then move onto the control surfaces and after that I think my work computer will be out of the game and it will be time to take this bad boy home to detail it. Oh yeah and since we have an undercarriage we also have the obligatory landed shot. Comments?

post-26-1107458054_thumb.jpg

Last Update for the evening:

1) Fixed the lateral nose thrusters, put them into a much tighter pack closer to the nose since the Plasers were moved.

2) Played with various positions on the Plasers, moved them back to where I first moved them, suggestions?

3) cut and installed the control surfaces on the wings and dorsal tail, it grew one me

4) played with the color some more, trying to figure out the perfect shade of mustard yellow for the trainer varient, which is the first version I will do.

I think this is about the most I can do on this at work for now, I will start panelling and detail work tonight or tomorrow. Thing is it still feels like something is missing, not sure what that could be though, any ideas?

post-26-1107471293_thumb.jpg

Thanks A1. Anyway this is a non-update. I have not done anything on the fighter itself but threw together a preliminary MSP (Missile Simulator Pod) to hang off the wings since the first varient I will make is the trainer. The MSP is based loosely in concept and design in the Simulators we use for our launchers here at work. It will undergo many revisions and redetailing but I like it so far and it should add a little something extra to the trainer varient S-1000.

Also I am asking for a little help, I have an idea for the squadron logo I want on the trainers but do not have the artistic talent to create it. Basically it would go on the wing anhedral and it should be cartoony. What I am thinking is a RImdook (basically a sentient Velociraptor) chasing after a cadet that looks suspisciously like Spaceman Spiff. Any takers on this one would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to start in on the detailing today, and have decided not to put a boarding ladder on this, no real place to put one. Appreciate any comments you all have.

post-26-1107540817_thumb.jpg

Update time:

I detailed up the EPCs, they look pretty sweet now, but man those details come at a cost, this things size just went up 25%. I think most of that might be in the barrell though so I may take out the fillets on it to cut the face/memory size down.

post-26-1107553302_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knight26

Update, the wings are finished, and I unveil two new shot perspectives that well, gave me a whole new appreciation for this design. Man I am now starting to understand its appeal to my characters and you guys. First shot, the Viper, for obvious reasons.

post-26-1107582024_thumb.jpg

SHot two, the Buzzard, original just going to be the Buzz, or the Buzzar, but I liked Buzzard more. The angles just seem to scream, give me motion blur make me come alive.

post-26-1107582066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knight26