Good artwork site

dyowelb

Appears to be scans and wallpapers from the newest Robotech comic books, which are none to popular 'round these parts.

Nor drawn well.

Thats one opinion.

IMHO, I like some of it but overall I respect their style.

But when it comes down to it, I'm for anything that could bring in Macross fans... even if its through Robotech.

Appears to be scans and wallpapers from the newest Robotech comic books, which are none to popular 'round these parts.

Nor drawn well.

Thats one opinion.

But when it comes down to it, I'm for anything that could bring in Macross fans... even if its through Robotech.

No, that's a LOT of opinions!!!

:p

They really aren't drawn well. The coloring is flashy, which makes them look much "better" than they really are. Sadly, this is a trick many comic companies use these days to cover up shoddy artwork.

Look at this image and try to tell me that it doesn't have terrible perspective isseus, not to mention laziness when they finally got to the stabs and whatnot.

samplepage2.jpg

Nor drawn well.

Thats one opinion.

No, that's a LOT of opinions!!!

:p

They really aren't drawn well. The coloring is flashy, which makes them look much "better" than they really are. Sadly, this is a trick many comic companies use these days to cover up shoddy artwork.

Look at this image and try to tell me that it doesn't have terrible perspective isseus, not to mention laziness when they finally got to the stabs and whatnot.

I used to collect a lot of comics and trust me. It could be a lot worse. Obviously the work isnt the best but I must say that by saying its not drawn well, you made that comment to every artist on that page and I must disagree with you on that one. For example, this picture:

robotechw1.jpg

This was drawn by Long Vo. He's a pretty well known artist and a very talented one. As far as the other drawings go, I'll admit, they have their flaws and could be considered not drawn well. Long Vo imo, is a very skilled artist so I would have to disagree with you that all the people on that site cannot draw well.

...and btw, its still one opinion.

I have my one and you have your one. ;)

Be nice to less talented artists. Not everyone can be as good as you, u kno. ;)

Edited by AlphaHX

It's not that WDC thinks he is better, it's just for illustrators, its really easy to spot who is rushing or bs'ing the art. Compared to the other comic art there in similar styled these guys cannot really stand a chance. ANd it is HORRID that TEMJIN's CG work is massacred by that horrible not drawn well pseudo manga hikaru and minmay. Absolutely disgraceful. I don't care how famous whoever the hell drew that is. HG made a big hype for this book and the art sucked. I even had high hopes for it and

WHEN IN THE HELL IS SOMEONE IN THE COMIC BIZ ACTUALLY GOING TO DRAW AIRPLANES RIGHT FOR FREAKING SAKES?!!!

The only good airplane comic art I have seen is Area88, Little Red Devil, and well I forget, oh yea whoever drew the planes in ultimates but that looked like photo drawings.

Seriously I expect if one were to draw a mass market book with the main mecha being AIRPLANE VARIABLE CRAFT, for them to actually KNOW what a plane looks like. Sheesh. Battroid drawing there is pathetic too but thats a whole nother story.

While some of the covers look good, and others merely okay, these do tend to lean towards one of my bigger beefs in the comics industry; just pick a damned style already. As someone who works in graphics, and as a plain ol' freelance cartoonist, I am sick of artists trying to draw in a certain style just because it sells, or because it appeals to a larger demographic. Dammit, there is nothing wrong with American comics; we don't need any more pseudo-japanese crap. Except for Rob Liefeld, who is universally loathed anyway.

Okay, rant off.

Commenting on the comic page, the detail shots are actually quite good. It's just the wide-angle shots with the mecha all suffer from poor perspective issues and just plain bad space management (see the frame with 3 battroids cramped around each other).

It's not that WDC thinks he is better, it's just for illustrators, its really easy to spot who is rushing or bs'ing the art. Compared to the other comic art there in similar styled these guys cannot really stand a chance. ANd it is HORRID that TEMJIN's CG work is massacred by that horrible not drawn well pseudo manga hikaru and minmay. Absolutely disgraceful. I don't care how famous whoever the hell drew that is. HG made a big hype for this book and the art sucked. I even had high hopes for it and

WHEN IN THE HELL IS SOMEONE IN THE COMIC BIZ ACTUALLY GOING TO DRAW AIRPLANES RIGHT FOR FREAKING SAKES?!!!

The only good airplane comic art I have seen is Area88, Little Red Devil, and well I forget, oh yea whoever drew the planes in ultimates but that looked like photo drawings.

Seriously I expect if one were to draw a mass market book with the main mecha being AIRPLANE VARIABLE CRAFT, for them to actually KNOW what a plane looks like. Sheesh. Battroid drawing there is pathetic too but thats a whole nother story.

As an artist myself and knowing many other artitsts far better than myself, I would have to disagree with the spoting rushed or bs'ed art. I'm not saying that these robotech comics werent rushed or bs'ed. But just by looking at a peice of art, you could never guess how long someone took on it or whether or not they were bsing it. Thats all relevant to skill level.

Also compared to other comics, trust me, these guys arent that bad. Theyre from Wildstorm which is a branch off Image comics. If you've seen your share of Image comics, you'd know that this is definitely nowhere near the bottom unfortunately. Wish it was... but its not.

I think for you, it was too hyped up and you expected too much from an American comic. Unfortunately, American comics come nowhere near the quality of Japanese manga. I've actually stayed away from these comics just because they have the label Robotech but I have had nothing against the art.

I understand WDC's arguement when he says its not drawn well because of perspective and such. But besides that, you cant argue lets say... what Hikaru's face should look like. Its the artists intepretation and as much as we could like or hate the change, its his decision to do what he pleases. Some may like it and some may hate it but that doesnt make the art terrible. I dunno if I'm explaining myself well, its like for example someone could hate the way the Mona Lisa was drawn and the style it was drawn in but still respect the skill level of the artist.

All I'm saying is to me its fine to hate the "style" but its another thing to claim the art sux BECAUSE you hate the style. Art sux for various reason but imho, style and interpretation arent among those reasons.

Art has always been quite a debatable subject so until you can actually stop the artist from drawing or step up youself and replace the artist, theres no reason to get so worked up. :)

While some of the covers look good, and others merely okay, these do tend to lean towards one of my bigger beefs in the comics industry; just pick a damned style already. As someone who works in graphics, and as a plain ol' freelance cartoonist, I am sick of artists trying to draw in a certain style just because it sells, or because it appeals to a larger demographic. Dammit, there is nothing wrong with American comics; we don't need any more pseudo-japanese crap. Except for Rob Liefeld, who is universally loathed anyway.

Okay, rant off.

Commenting on the comic page, the detail shots are actually quite good. It's just the wide-angle shots with the mecha all suffer from poor perspective issues and just plain bad space management (see the frame with 3 battroids cramped around each other).

I agree theres nothing wrong with American style comics but these guys arent drawing it this way cuz it sells. Thats actually how they draw. I've been following Long Vo and a few of his fellow workers and since they grew up in America but favored Japanese art, they all end up having a psuedo japanese manga style look to them. Street Fighter the comic is also drawn the same way. I truthfully dont know how often you run into people trying to imitate other styles but as for these guys, that is their style. Thats how they draw. Theyre not imitating anything. Actually to think about, I know a lot of people who draw pseudo japaneseish just cuz they were influence with manga when they got into drawing and not cuz it sells or appeals to more people.

Heheheh... Rob Liefield. I didnt even know people still know or talk about him. I thought he pretty much died off after making Youngblood. I stopped caring about him so I kind of never knew what happened to that guy. But I agree... imo, that guy sucked that drawing. Perspective problems, body muscles disfigurements, etc etc... it was just horrible. Hahah... kind of sad really. <_<:p

Weve been weaned on Mikimoto figures and Kawamori mecha art, so we tend to be disappointed when professionally made output falls short of our expectations.

as comicbook art, this isnt terrible per se, but in comparing the robotech comics line art with the line art of the originals (like Mac7Trash from Mikimoto) it really pales.

now, i havent really seen much of these Robotech comics (all ive seen are the cover art) but i could say that the art in this set of Robotech comics have greatly improved from the old 1980s set.

im just glad this comicbook art isnt trying to pass itself off as Macross, so i can keep saying that Macross is still tops with whatever media it comes out of- tv, music, movie, or print.

IM An illustration major which is why I have certain tastes which I see unfulfilled with this book., i am also a big military aviation nut. I also LOVE mecha artwork. I am aware these people are from wildstorm but none of them are exactly "up there". The Jim lee cover is good and someone elses but the majority of these suck. I don't hate the artist, I hate the work. ;)

Perspective is off and so is anatomy. I don't place any of these guys on the same level as Joe NG, jaCk Kirby, Jeff Matsuda, or Masamune Shirow. Or kaoru Shintai. Shintai's work is awesome, here is someone who KNOWS what airplanes look like. Shirow has good work too, he comes from a traditional art background. It's obvious he knows his stuff too. The robotech guys seem like amateurs in comparison. You want to see good people drawings take a look at Frank Cho, and ack Kirby.

Why do I say this work is BS's and rushed? Why do I agree that it is trendriding? Because truthfully I do not think it is that good. Joe Ng, he is good. Don Figueroa, GREAT at mecha, not as good at people. I like some of Udon but they lost a lot of appeal. They were good on the onset but this market has been so freaking saturated with pseudo manga that their work started losing appeal to me. And Pat Lee? NO. Jae Lee, who worked on DW's tf/gijoe book, is TONS better.

I hate the style Because it seems rushed, and it seems "forced". Forced as in WANTING to be a different anime look but not exactly getting there. I'm not getting worked up about this just trying to get you guys to see my frame of my mind. I normally ignore these books. When I heard HG gave the license I knew it was something to ignore. I knew it would suck. I saw for myself and it did. There are only a few people capable of doing a pseudo manga look and making it work and unfortunately these people are not it. Udon does good covers but interiors look like they are slacking off. To me that is not cool. This is all personal preference of course, but to me some of the work seems lazy. And I know all too well what lazy art and well made art is like, hell i'm exposed to it every day at school AND in free time. Always around it no matter what. Whoever drew these comics needs to know good anatomy as well and it kills me that even though this is bette than comico, that even after 20 years, WHOEVER HANDLES THE LICENSES IN THE USA STILL DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO DRAW VALKYRIES THAT WELL!! UGH FOR CHRIST SAKE IF YOU ARE GOPING TO DRAW A VAL;KYRIE FOR GOD'S SAKE STUDY THE DAMN THING RELIGIOUSLY BEFORE YOU EVEN PICK UP A PENCIL AND DRAW IT! The license to me was a waste of time.

Nothing personal just explaining my preferences. And yes it takes damn long as hell to do sequential art, I understand that, no need to school me like I said I'm in school for illustration and we do more than one can possibly imagine in a unbelievable span of time, and lose tons of sleep over it, so I definitely can tell if something is rushed or not.

IM An illustration major which is why I have certain tastes which I see unfulfilled with this book., i am also a big military aviation nut. I also LOVE mecha artwork. I am aware these people are from wildstorm but none of them are exactly "up there". The Jim lee cover is good and someone elses but the majority of these suck. I don't hate the artist, I hate the work. ;)

Perspective is off and so is anatomy. I don't place any of these guys on the same level as Joe NG, jaCk Kirby, Jeff Matsuda, or Masamune Shirow. Or kaoru Shintai. Shintai's work is awesome, here is someone who KNOWS what airplanes look like. Shirow has good work too, he comes from a traditional art background. It's obvious he knows his stuff too. The robotech guys seem like amateurs in comparison. You want to see good people drawings take a look at Frank Cho, and ack Kirby.

Why do I say this work is BS's and rushed? Why do I agree that it is trendriding? Because truthfully I do not think it is that good. Joe Ng, he is good. Don Figueroa, GREAT at mecha, not as good at people. I like some of Udon but they lost a lot of appeal. They were good on the onset but this market has been so freaking saturated with pseudo manga that their work started losing appeal to me. And Pat Lee? NO. Jae Lee, who worked on DW's tf/gijoe book, is TONS better.

I hate the style Because it seems rushed, and it seems "forced". Forced as in WANTING to be a different anime look but not exactly getting there. I'm not getting worked up about this just trying to get you guys to see my frame of my mind. I normally ignore these books. When I heard HG gave the license I knew it was something to ignore. I knew it would suck. I saw for myself and it did. There are only a few people capable of doing a pseudo manga look and making it work and unfortunately these people are not it. Udon does good covers but interiors look like they are slacking off. To me that is not cool. This is all personal preference of course, but to me some of the work seems lazy. And I know all too well what lazy art and well made art is like, hell i'm exposed to it every day at school AND in free time. Always around it no matter what. Whoever drew these comics needs to know good anatomy as well and it kills me that even though this is bette than comico, that even after 20 years, WHOEVER HANDLES THE LICENSES IN THE USA STILL DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO DRAW VALKYRIES THAT WELL!! UGH FOR CHRIST SAKE IF YOU ARE GOPING TO DRAW A VAL;KYRIE FOR GOD'S SAKE STUDY THE DAMN THING RELIGIOUSLY BEFORE YOU EVEN PICK UP A PENCIL AND DRAW IT! The license to me was a waste of time.

Nothing personal just explaining my preferences. And yes it takes damn long as hell to do sequential art, I understand that, no need to school me like I said I'm in school for illustration and we do more than one can possibly imagine in a unbelievable span of time, and lose tons of sleep over it, so I definitely can tell if something is rushed or not.

Jim Lee did one of the covers? :blink:

Am I missing something? :unsure:

Jim Lee is a pretty damn good artist imo. I would rather have him draw Robotech if anything... <_<

I agree theres nothing wrong with American style comics but these guys arent drawing it this way cuz it sells. Thats actually how they draw. I've been following Long Vo and a few of his fellow workers and since they grew up in America but favored Japanese art, they all end up having a psuedo japanese manga style look to them. Street Fighter the comic is also drawn the same way. I truthfully dont know how often you run into people trying to imitate other styles but as for these guys, that is their style. Thats how they draw. Theyre not imitating anything. Actually to think about, I know a lot of people who draw pseudo japaneseish just cuz they were influence with manga when they got into drawing and not cuz it sells or appeals to more people.

Heheheh... Rob Liefield. I didnt even know people still know or talk about him. I thought he pretty much died off after making Youngblood. I stopped caring about him so I kind of never knew what happened to that guy. But I agree... imo, that guy sucked that drawing. Perspective problems, body muscles disfigurements, etc etc... it was just horrible. Hahah... kind of sad really. <_<  :p

Actually, I was referring to Adam Warren and his covers. Now, I have nothing against his art, and by damn, he is great with covers (Did them for PSM some time ago), but every time I look at his faces and their ridiculously huge eyes, I can't help but wince, and my mind screams "DERIVATIVE!!"

I have no beef with those who were raised on that particular style, but I think the philosophy of finding your own unique style and sticking with it should hold fast, especially in comics.

Hmmm... I wonder what Robotech/Macross would look like with Liefeld at the helm?

Edited by Ed.Coli

Small as visors, gundam sentinel like proportions, gundam sentinel is awesome btu stuff like that on a valk body, ick. Heck mayb e like the O in gundam. yea that is a better comparison.

I agree with the unique style thing. Great artists are known for their style, not their attempts to mimic one. LIke I said before some pseudo manga is good but I just don't like the artists works on the new robotech comics. I think that is a case of watered down. I mena yea sure Long Vo and Udon do street fighter but to be honest I thought those books just had good covers. The art did not catch me.

these guys suck! Udon's art is good for Street Fighter of what ever else, but these are just plane crappy. The planes don't look right. Travis Charest, Adam Hughes and Bryan Hitch have a good command of mechanical design, so I'm not biased to japanese artists.

It's just a poor way to pay homage to a property tha was presented decently.

BTW, Wildstorm is a branch of DC now, not Image.

Your opinion is pretty much to be expected from an Illustration major and most Illustrators in general. All of the mentioned artists except for Frank Cho all have obvious problems with their art.

That aside I do agree that the work is clearly rushed and just plain poor from either a RT/Macross perspective AND an avid comic book readers standards. Though it is understandable given the source lacking offical materials.

I soooooooo cannot wait for american comics to finally start using digital equipment in the creation process and not just the coloring and printing aspects either. The current way is incredibly poor for todays standards.