Progress shot of Queadluun Rau Bandai

Sam

Hi, easy solution for the clear coat. Go to Walmart. They have the clear for $2.64 or look in the paint section and they have clear for cheaper. Just remember to put on a few coats first. And watch the paint thinner/mineral spirits. I had it take off my paint coat on the Hase. Also, The oil you can find in Walmart but the Ragshop is cheaper and will run only $1.50. You only need one tube and a cheap brush. One tube is enough. I does look good after words. Try it on an old model first though. And make sure your by an open window! Stuff smells.

I have not worked on the transform one but I do have several to build. I have an org Rook nad Scott plus several transform. Right now everything is packed away so I cannot take a pic till I get my house finished. As soon as I do I plan to take some pics and post them.

Edited by Mechleader

Fantastic work SAM!!! :D:D:D

Keep up the great work and keep showing us - good progress.

Exactly what types of paints are you using - and what type of clear coat is warping the paint underneath?

In addition to the black oil wash, you could also start experimenting on a lighter dry-brush technique to pick up the highlights. Try it out on some piece of crap first - it works out best on flat finish paints though.

Looking forward to more!!

Hey, thanks for all the feedback guys, really makes it worthwhile taking time to post pix n stuff, so tah very much! :)

Sebastian, thanks, I will try n take some photos when i get off the net of the other Raus, cuz my camera freezes the computer.

You will notice the lack of sanding n finer points on the older ones, but I was really happy with the paint job!

Knight26, I actually DO plan to do the Ger, cuz I got one from HLJ in the same batch as the vf2ss and Raus, and I also have the Officers pod to make as well,... they will come later though. Guaranteed I will post though! hehe :D

Mechleader, Im in Australia, no such thing as Walmart, but we do have a K-mart ! ^_^ thres a ____-mart in every country! Dig out those cupboards, post pix of models when you have built, no excuses ! ! hehe j/k :p

Valk Nut, get em out of HLJ, think this is ur cheapest option hey! Thats where I get mine unless sold out then its WHEREever I can lol..! Agentone,Mcbride, Abomz, thanks for the comments!

Wm Cheng, thanks, the clear coat is Hemler Crystal Koat, and Im using tamiya acrylics, so I can paint without worries of dying of fumes.. :p . Im in process of making a ride armour non transformable, which im going to try this clear coat on again, but with the oils, I have some cheapo artist oils, does any do? And do I use mineral turps to both thin down and clean up?

Im not keen on ruining these others till i perfect it(clear coat, maybe it was too cold when I did it? ), or get better, and I must say that I have only used it cautiously on one part of the vf2ss, so maybe it was a one off problem?

I know you use lacquers WM, but im guessing all is equal after clear coat, so what is the deal on oils? anything do?

oooh.. typed to much, hehe...

Thanks again! I will keep working on these Ride armours! Test the clear coat again, fingers crossed, then will post results! might take a few days cuz im working and here in australia its FREEZING at the moment, and the garage is lacking in the insulation dept. :lol:

tah!

Sam

I allways use a oil based base coats and for detail, i run with acrilics watered down (at least for the car models I've done) I need to experiment with air brushing. I also do a lot of drybrushing with lighter colors (to get rust, wore down paint, and paint missing from the edges and corners) It kinda brings a scale to the models, also a neat trick i do is use semi gloss coats as the maximum gloss, if you get too glosy, it makes it look more model like. but on show room new models (cars, not planes or mech) i use a high gloss. I really like the drap military colors for Mech. I want to drap my "Rau" in the std green (once my air brush skills are up to par) That scheme and color looks awsome, yeah, practice on some other models to get you technics down, that things going to look friggin amazing once the details done :blink:

Hey Sam,

I use Tamiyas too, but use ModelMaster Acryl Clear Coats, they come in flat, semi-gloss and gloss, I highly recommend them - and can tell you that they are safe with the Tamiya undercoat as well as the oil wash above. I would be careful when you thin down the oil wash - any artist oils will do, but the thinner is important. I use low-odour Varsol, which is a mineral spirit based thinner but really weak. The weaker the better - look for low odour stuff, they are generally less potent.

Well, i haven't done anything more on models other than take those pix that Sebastian wanted on the green Rau, so here tis! :)

post-3-1061887198_thumb.jpg

This is the lancer 1.12 scale buildup from a while back, not the best execution, but it transforms well, just sooooooooo top heavy! Have a Stik version to make as well as the non transformable versions.....

post-3-1061887716_thumb.jpg

oops, howd this get in there :D

These things are HUGE.

Beauty n the beast, nuttin to do with macross, but they are near where I was doing the photos so hey, what they heck!

playboy collectors doll vs Clive barkers Tortured Soul Lucidique... who will come out on top? (*no lesbian jokes pleeeease :p )

post-3-1061888159_thumb.jpg

Second last, found a good fight for the latest model Rau..

Queadluun Rau defeats the almighty Red DRAGON!

(can we post multiple images in one go? this is a nightmare replying all the time for different images..! ugh*)

post-3-1061888392_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sam

THIS is the next project... its the 1/15 non transformable mospeada ride armours... Rook and Scott, or Houqut and Stik or Rey or whoEVERS name in whatever language, but they will be cool cuz im going to use all the helpful info you guys have had in regards to oil wash........

next day off should see these painted up with base colours.. so no more updates for a bit! hehe :p

Thanks again for all feedback, its a good thing, believe me! encourageing.

Im looking forward to when im allowed to get the models collections topic going, just to see what all others are doing. They have more character than toys which are all the same, models are made, not bought!!

SaM

:)

post-3-1061888893_thumb.jpg