CSXT Booster section found

http://www.stratofox.org/pics/csxt-booster-2004/

This news is almost two months old, but the booster section of the CSXT rocket was finally found in November. The booster section hit the ground so hard that it obliterated the first few feet of the body tube and the fin canister broke loose and slid to the front end of the rocket making it look like it's on in reverse!

Because the president (Bruce W. Lee) of our rocketry group here in Nebraksa was a CSXT team member and a close friend of the leader of the CSXT project (Ky Michaelson), we were suppose to have the booster section at our meeting two nights ago. Unfortunately Bruce had surgery on his leg a few weeks ago and our meeting got canned because of the weather, so I'm not sure when I'll get to see it. :(

Below is a picture of me with the payload section last July!

For those who were interested, the Discovery Channel's program on the CSXT is suppose to air one of these days, but I still don't know when. I believe the show will be titled 77 Miles Up. I have seen some promotional footage from the show. Though this hasn't aired, Ky Michaelson has been featured on a few episodes of Monster Garage.

post-26-1105056505_thumb.jpg

Doh! Guess I should have proof read the title of my post! :p

"Is that a rocket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :D

Is there anyway we can edit the title of our threads that we start or do we have a mod take care of that?

So, you guys gonna send it up again? ;)

...seriously: any chances of a new try, or is this "the limit" for amateur

rocketeering?

There are people talking about orbital flights, both manned and unmanned. Some of those involved with the CSXT are talking about sending up the first unmanned orbital flight, but it will be a number of years before that happens. All the combined moneys and donations into the CSXT, including the two failed flights, was well over a million dollars.

I know that Burt Rutan is contemplating orbital vehicles and even a space station.

I know that Burt Rutan is contemplating orbital vehicles and even a space station.

I got to hear Burt Rutan speak recently at a seminar. Very, very cool.

Surreal to hear that Virgin Galactic spacelines has been formed already, even with no space liners to fly.

-Al

Pan Am was selling moon flight reservations decades ago... No actual tickets, but you could pay like $10 and "get in line" for when they became available. You got a letter, pamphlet, etc. Pan Am "Moon Flight" reservation certificates are quite the collectors item nowadays.

At least Virgin actually waited until the technology was a bit further on. :)

Grrrr... I see none of the moderators changed the subtitle to my subject. <_<

Anyway, the CSXT booster section is currently sitting right here in Omaha, NE as I speak and I will have the chance to see it in person in a few weeks. :)

Here's some pictures that were e-mailed to me a few days ago. This shows how the bottom section of the CSXT was found in the nearby mountains.

post-26-1105486777_thumb.jpg

hmmm should i worry about rocket powered lawn darts nailing you from low orbit? :ph34r:

Besides the waiver, the area (not sure how many square miles) downrage of where the rocket was to land also had to be cleared of any stragglers (hunters, hikers, Burning Man fanatics, etc.).