I wanna start collecting vintage Star Wars figures

Panzer

Ok.. besides allowing myself to be bashed by TV show episodes by series like The Simpsons I am interested collecting Mattel Star Wars figures.

Being 25 years old I had lots and lots of contemporary SW toys when I was a kid but all have dissapeared in garage sales.

I'm interested in beginning to collect these toys again but was wondering what some of the "holy grail" items are and what some good internet resources for the subject are. I've been checking out www.toysrgus.com but wanted to know what were some good forums for this stuff and what were some real sought after figures that everybody drools over like a 1990 Bandai..

thanks fer the help. I want an AT-AT.

yak face, small head/big head han solo, short/tall snaggle tooth, cloth jawa, cloth obi, anakin mail-away figure, prototype rocket firing boba (!),  and a bunch others.

have fun!

i did an ebay search for a few of those guys and they don't seem to be fetching exactly Takatoku Macross prices..

I was just curious if there was a few REALLY expensive figures out there. I think the firing Boba is prob. in that tier..

I had a Snaggletooth, cloth Jawa and an Anakin when I was a kid.. :(

Edited by Panzer

My personal holy grail items of Star Wars (when I was collecting) were the power of the force figures, the Droids A-Wing, the desert skiff, the plastic cape jawa (only buy one of these carded as fakes abound) and some other strange pieces like the Sears Cantina and such.

What makes a "Holy Grail" for you is another question... is it something that just costs a ton but is still relatively available or is it something that you have to do a home invasion robbery on Lucas to get?

LOL... I just (like 2 weeks ago) sold the orig. Yoda, still on the card in mint condition.

I am going to sell this in a few weeks:

I know its not a figure but as you are a SW fan.

post-26-1103254312_thumb.jpg

My personal holy grail items of Star Wars (when I was collecting) were the power of the force figures, the Droids A-Wing, the desert skiff, the plastic cape jawa (only buy one of these carded as fakes abound) and some other strange pieces like the Sears Cantina and such.

What makes a "Holy Grail" for you is another question... is it something that just costs a ton but is still relatively available or is it something that you have to do a home invasion robbery on Lucas to get?

Actually, I've got a Droids A-wing that I've had since 1986...granted it's not in the best of condition since I was a 7-year-old in 1986...

don't get suckered in by the "prototype rocket firing Boba Fetts" thery're all fakes. There is no such thing.

Well...actually there was probably one or two made by Kenner, but after the Battlestar Galactica Viper toys put a few kids eyes out, they decided to glue the rocket into the backpack.

I have not checked SW classic toy prices in a long time... does anyone know how the new toys and the seeming "death" of the SW collectable market has effected their prices? When I was getting out of SW toys in the late '90s (just before the bust) some things were fetching rediculous prices... heck, even some of the new toys were getting 1 and 2 grand price tags lumped on them.

This all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. If you are in it for the nostalgia, be prepared to spend a lot of money. If you just want characters and vehicles from the original films, I would take full advantages of getting the Original Trilogy Collection available now.

The Original Trilogy Collection -- 2004

If you want some resources of Star Wars collectibles, I would check out some of the following books written by Lucas Films Director of Creative Marketing Stephen J. Sansweet who himself remains a huge Star Wars collector.

Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive

Star Wars Scrapbook: The Essential Collection

Star Wars Collectibles: A Pocket Guide

Tomart's Price Guide to Worldwide Star Wars Collectibles

Star Wars Action Figure Archive

hmm cool.

I would say I'm pretty much in it for the nostalgia.

I haven't seen the back of a star wars Kenner toy card in years.. that yellow field with all the figures on it really stirred up some ancient ancient feelings from my childhood and living in Tucson, AZ.. man life was grand back then.. going down to the Safeway supermarket and buying a new toy. :D I always wanted the AT-AT but never got it either... :unsure:

Edited by Panzer

I guess it also depends on what kind of collector you are.

If you want to remove them from their packages, then original Star Wars toys might not be the best avenue for you.

I work with a guy who is a Star Wars NUT. And he has shown me some auctions for MOC figures that made what little hair I have left stand on end. Especially knowing that whomever buys them is never going to actually touch them, just put them on a shelf, and be replete in the knowledge that they "have it".

:blink:

yeah thats kinda a sucky way to collect, like the comic books that are sealed forever in those graded plastic vaults.

Ideally it would be cool to have one minty MIB toy then another loose one to play around with. that way you can curb the urge to rip open the blister pack on the MIB one.

hmm cool.

I would say I'm pretty much in it for the nostalgia.

I haven't seen the back of a star wars Mattel toy card in years.. that yellow field with all the figures on it really stirred up some ancient ancient feelings from my childhood and living in Tucson, AZ.. man life was grand back then.. going down to the Safeway supermarket and buying a new toy. :D I always wanted the AT-AT but never got it either... :unsure:

;) Just to clarify, Kenner orginally made Star Wars toys. Hasbro bought them out and they are the current producer of Star Wars toys.