x-men legends video game

arrow

i am not to sure if comparing this to buldurs gate is right :huh: arent they completly different type of games? to be honest most of the marvel comic games i have played really were not worth the hype the only one that i really thought was decent was Marvel Super Heroes for the Arcade from Capcom.

Edited by zeo-mare

it's decently fun. not nearly as deep as baldur's gate (uhm, PC version) and more deep than the console baldur's gate.

keeping track of you character and what's happening can get confusing at times, and I thought the camera could have used some more tweaking... I did not like the positioning but I got used to it after a few seconds.

the powers and the effects are cool, as are the combo attacks... not all of the characters were useful imo, most of the time I stuck with wolverine, cyclops, iceman and either storm or jean... just found them the most effective.

the story is pretty good, a decent x-men story that is familiar but has a wee bit of a twist to keep it interesting for us old time x-men fans.

graphics are okay, not really cell shaded though...

overall, fun game. fun party game as well, as eventually you can play with four people.

i am not to sure if comparing this to buldurs gate is right :huh: arent they completly different type of games?

He means the console versions, and yeah, X-Men Legends is a lot like Baldur's Gate. I thought X-Men Legends was fun, true to to the comic books, yet accessible to people who only know X-Men through the movies. Graphics aren't all that great, though... the cel-shading has them looking like colorful blobs rather than people.

My biggest gripe with it, though, is that for all the characters, a lot of them are clones. Like Magma... she uses lava instead of ice, but otherwise she plays just like Iceman. You can pretty much divide them up into melee characters and ranged characters. Chances are, you have your ideas about which characters you'll want to mostly play as, and for the most part, you'll stick with them throughout the whole game. Replay value is pretty low, since even if you play again with different X-Men, it'll play pretty much the same way.

Oh, and don't listen to the PC crowd. They're knocking the Dark Alliance games just because they have the Baldur's Gate title, but are nothing like the PC Baldur's Gate games in terms of story or gameplay. Both the Dark Alliance games, as well as Champions of Norrath, are very fun dungeon crawlers.

Oh, and don't listen to the PC crowd. They're knocking the Dark Alliance games just because they have the Baldur's Gate title, but are nothing like the PC Baldur's Gate games in terms of story or gameplay. Both the Dark Alliance games, as well as Champions of Norrath, are very fun dungeon crawlers.

Dude, I'm in this "PC crowd" you speak of and I don't care for any Baldur's Gate games whatsoever. But hey, PC D&D style RPGs are supposedly superior... but I prefer consoles for that because, well... I like to be able to play a game for 20-60 minutes at a time and still feel like I've accomplished something; Console RPGs do that for me. Sure, there are my marathon sessions, but I don't have as much time to sit down for that these days. Plus... well... HL2 just came out. :)

X-Men Legends has its moments, but hopefully if there's a sequel they will refine the formula a bit.

I am a huge fan of rpgs (from PC though) and the X MEN. I thought the idea of Legends was very neat... sadly i got bored of it after 2 days... The action is very repetitive and the only thing that made me keep on going forward was to see the different characters and powers... but all characters handle pretty much the same...

I wouldn't really call this game an rpg as it's more like those old TMNT and BattleToads games.

As for the cell shading I thougth it was pretty badly done <_< It looks very pixelated to me

I wish i could try the multiplayer options... but i have no one to play it with :(

~Tico

Edited by Tico0001

Multiplayer's pretty fun...wouldn't have bought the game if they didn't include the four way. There are problems playing multiplayer, though. You have you expected 'everyone has to stay on the same screen' issue that any of these action-RPGs have. What makes it worse here is that there's a couple of places where it would've been easier to have one person go off and do what they need to. This can be done in the game's original intended single player mode. In multiplayer, everyone else has to get as close as they can (often involving ledges) for the one character to do their thing. This is made worse on timed levels.

The other major gripe about the multiplayer mode is that it often feels tacked on. Any menu/character changes can be arduous for the person not controlling the menus. Choosing who plays whom can be frustrating until everyone learns to enter the game one at a time and switch to whom they want. Also, sometimes the controls for the single-character levels seem to jump randomly from controller to controller. Speaking of which, the BIGGEST gripe I have is all the single or limited character levels (which are basically every other level while you visit the mansion). It basically comes down to four people having fun and then suddenly one person playing and three either falling asleep watching or cracking jokes about Magma asking if people are an item. We just recently hit a set of back-to-back two and three character only missions. Sadly, I fell asleep as the odd man out both times.

All the problems tend to come from the fact that the game initially was intended for one player. I'm sort of glad that they threw on the multiplayer options, but I feel the need to warn anyone who wants to play the game through completely with three other buddies.