The fate of Hobbits

GreenGuy42

I'm just wondering....

How do they make sure that the skeleton they found wasn't

1.) A child's (i'm sure they can though)

2.) Or some prehistoric version of a midget.

1 skeleton doesn't prove a whole species exists.

I can just imagine one day when aliens dig up our remains, they'll look at my valks and think we worship "transforming idols". :lol:

I'm just wondering....

Didja try reading the article?

Clues from the skeleton

This much is clear: Its worn teeth and fused skull show it was an adult. The shape of the pelvis is female. The skull is wide like that of Homo erectus. But the sides are rounder and the crown traces an arc from ear to ear. The skull of Homo erectus has straight sides and a pointed crown, they said.

The lower jaw contains large, blunt teeth and roots like Australopithecus, a prehuman ancestor in Africa more than 3 million years ago. The front teeth are smaller and more like modern human teeth.

The eye sockets are big and round, but unlike other members of the Homo genus, it has hardly any chin or browline.

The rest of the skeleton looks as if it walked upright, but the pelvis and the shinbone have primitive, even apelike features.

T'ain't no child nor midget.

I'm just wondering....

1 skeleton doesn't prove a whole species exists.

I can just imagine one day when aliens dig up our remains, they'll look at my valks and think we worship "transforming idols".  :lol:

While I don't think it's true in this case because the scientists are being pretty thourogh (they found this skeleton 13 months ago and are just now releasing info), this has actually happened. Some the first neanderthal skeletons found belonged to individuals suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, and so for a long time the whole group was always depicted with a very stooped posture

Edited by JELEINEN

While I don't think it's true in this case because the scientists are being pretty thourogh (they found this skeleton 13 months ago and are just now releasing info), this has actually happened.  Some the first neanderthal skeletons found belonged to  individuals suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, and so for a long time the whole group was always depicted with a very stooped posture

Check out these quotes from Yahoo's article on it.

"Delicate artifacts found in the cave were described as "toy-sized" versions of stone tools made by H. erectus. They suggest that Flores Man retained intelligence and dexterity to flake small weapons with sharp edges, even if its body shrunk over time."

If all their tools were scaled down that would mean the entire population was that size, not just a few of them.

And apperently there were enough of them running around to start legends among other islanders.

"Folklore experts have reported persistent legends of little people living on Flores and nearby islands. Islanders called the creature "Ebu Gogo" and say it was about 3 feet tall."

And about that one skeleton doesn't prove anything....am I the only one that remembers Lucy(or whatever that ape's name was)? :p

Edited by McKlown

"Delicate artifacts found in the cave were described as "toy-sized" versions of stone tools made by H. erectus. They suggest that Flores Man retained intelligence and dexterity to flake small weapons with sharp edges, even if its body shrunk over time."

If all their tools were scaled down that would mean the entire population was that size, not just a few of them.

And apperently there were enough of them running around to start legends among other islanders.

"Folklore experts have reported persistent legends of little people living on Flores and nearby islands. Islanders called the creature "Ebu Gogo" and say it was about 3 feet tall."

And about that one skeleton doesn't prove anything....am I the only one that remembers Lucy(or whatever that ape's name was)? :p

Please re-read what I said. I wasn't disputing the article or the findings of the scientists involved. I was merely giving an anecdote about a situation in the past where a few non-standard individuals were thought to be definitive of the entire group.

And about that one skeleton doesn't prove anything....am I the only one that remembers Lucy(or whatever that ape's name was)?  :p

Please re-read what I said. I wasn't disputing the article or the findings of the scientists involved. I was merely giving an anecdote about a situation in the past where a few non-standard individuals were thought to be definitive of the entire group.

this is actually a source of great controversy in anthropology.

just for instance, Australopithicus is usually divided into two sub groups, gracile and robustus, but since there haven't been many complete skeletons found, some researchers think that robustus and gracile are actually just one species and the difference a result of sex dimorphism.

kind of how if you saw the skeletons of a male and female gorrila you might think they were two distinct species because of the large size differences.

And then there's this whole other group calle homo archaic and they don't fit in anywhere.. some have chimp like features, some look almost like homo sapiens. etc, but they're all from around the same time period.

With this stuff.. which many scientists consider a "soft" science.. it's best to take findings with a grain of salt.. you'd be surprised how much evidence just gets ignored so that people's pet theories will make more sense... I'm not talking about the whole evolution versus creationism thing.. even within evolution.. like washburn's idea that multiple homo sapiens evolved seperate from one another and how that explains the various races, or how some people think that homo sapiens either evolved in the American continents or came MUCH earlier than is currently accepted because of tool and skeletal findings in Mexico... blah blah blah.

I say go on the superscience thread!

Give me an excuse to keep up with popular science.