Chou Jikuu Yosai Macross Title Translation

Skull00

I've always thought 'Super Dimensional Fortress Macross' referred to the size ie. dimensions of the Macross. Because, after all, Its a damn big ship and has 'Super Dimensions'.

Boy do I feel stupid now because 'Jikuu' apparantly refers to dimension as in 'alternate dimension' or '3 dimensions' etc.

Was anyone else under the same impression as I was or am I the only Macross idiot on this one?

I don't know when I realized/decided that Super Dimension is just another way of saying hyperspace. Before that, I think I just assumed it was commercial techno-hype-gobbledygook. After all, what is a "Super Dimension Cavalry" (Southern Cross) or a "Super Dimension Centurry" (Orguss)?

But I don't think I ever thought the SD part of SDF Macross referred to the ships size. Sorry. :p

(Has anyone noticed SDF is also the abbreviation for the Japanese Self-Defense Forces?)

Until now I've never decided on what the 'Dimension' part of the title stood for. I've alternately figured it was for the size of the ship, or for the folding capability. If Jikuu does specifically refere to alternate dimensions, that settles it.

However, you mention "3 dimensions", wich is how we describe height, width, and length. If Jikuu does carry that connotation as well, then we're back to square one and I would have to say it's a deliberate wordplay.

well, way back when i was much younger, i just dismissed "super dimensional fortress" as nothing but incoherent Engrish.

but fortunately i got re-educated and found out that it really meant something relevant and coherent.

Macross is a fortress that can go places

Edited by polidread

Until now I've never decided on what the 'Dimension' part of the title stood for. I've alternately figured it was for the size of the ship, or for the folding capability. If Jikuu does specifically refere to alternate dimensions, that settles it.

However, you mention "3 dimensions", wich is how we describe height, width, and length. If Jikuu does carry that connotation as well, then we're back to square one and I would have to say it's a deliberate wordplay.

Sorry, I don't really mean '3 dimensions' as in height, width and depth, etc. I was trying to describe the 'time and space' meaning of dimensions but I'm a bit stupid!

I'm more inclined to go with Blue Max's direct translation of the Japanese as the 'official' meaning of Dimension/al in the title. The English 'Dimension' may/may not be a word play on size by the creators. Maybe thats one to ask the 'Head?

Super Dreadnaught Fortress is a lot easier to understand. They should have just gone with that!

I've always thought 'Super Dimensional Fortress Macross' referred to the size ie. dimensions of the Macross. Because, after all, Its a damn big ship and has 'Super Dimensions'.

Boy do I feel stupid now because 'Jikuu' apparantly refers to dimension as in 'alternate dimension' or '3 dimensions' etc.

Was anyone else under the same impression as I was or am I the only Macross idiot on this one?

Me too, only now I've realized that title is about folding ability.

But since I'm italian (double translation) I've some excuses.....i hope