HOLY AMANO NEWS

OK i went to Amanos World last night and wow was i suprised by the front page. It seems my favorite artist in the damn world is drawng a book written by one of my favorite writers based on a character of one of my favorite musicians. It just cannot get better.

Yoshitaka Amano and Niel Gaiman present :

The Return of the Thin White Duke

visio3.jpg

visio1.jpgvisio8.jpg

Wow :D Amano never ceases to amaze me. Every brush stroke flows like it is blown by a gentle breeze. All of his paintings have a touch of mystic to them and every figure seems to beckon the viewer to listen to their story.

I was beyond words when an author and artist I really like produced a few books. It's really sad that interest in art is seldom seen here :(

Edited by halfan

Otaku-Smeghead: Google search for "Thin White Duke" please... k thx bye!

not everyone is a bowie fan though he is recognizable...

on another note... I could care less about the bowie connection, though I love his 70's work... but I always enjoy Amano and Gaiman working together.

It's weird that I didn't even discover Amno thru anime. I was looking over some papers for my senior paper in high school and i found a small drawing that he did in the New Yorker while I was at the library... I ripped that page off and kept it. It was years later that I learned about the Vampire Hunter D and Mospeada connection.

My only complaint is the shape Amano's english site is in. He used to have a decent offering for his english speaking fans, a site run by assistants who worked with him in his New York studio, even.

Now it seems as if his english site was made by Japanese assistants as an afterthought, his Japanese site looks much better.

I'm really looking forward to this book, though. I just recently was reunited with my hardcover copy of the previous Gaiman/Amano collaboration.

I'm probably the only person who does not like Amano's work. I can appreciate his brushwork and complex use of subtle colors, and I suppose he's got a certain style that stands out... but I've never really been impressed by the linework of his paintings. Now I suppose it's because he's going for the abstract, and allows things to look a little "off", but lots of it ends up simply looking... amateurish.

I've seen abstract still that still screams of the artist's enormous technical skill... but Amano's stuff has always looked to me like a very skilled painter trying to paint over a sub-par art student's doodles. Blasphemous, I know. I've just never seen anything from Amano that suggests he has mastery over proportions and lines, and that he violates them with purpose for greater effect. Most of the deviations simply look arbitrary.

-Al

I'm probably the only person who does not like Amano's work. I can appreciate his brushwork and complex use of subtle colors, and I suppose he's got a certain style that stands out... but I've never really been impressed by the linework of his paintings. Now I suppose it's because he's going for the abstract, and allows things to look a little "off", but lots of it ends up simply looking... amateurish.

I've seen abstract still that still screams of the artist's enormous technical skill... but Amano's stuff has always looked to me like a very skilled painter trying to paint over a sub-par art student's doodles. Blasphemous, I know. I've just never seen anything from Amano that suggests he has mastery over proportions and lines, and that he violates them with purpose for greater effect. Most of the deviations simply look arbitrary.

-Al

try looking at some of his older, more cartoony stuff, he definately can do more traditional work.

i've always loved his work ever since final fantasy 6 (3 in u.s.)

this is a bad example cus the figures are all covered up

post-26-1095105231_thumb.jpg

-Al

No, you're not the only one who doesn't like Amano's work. I personally can't stand it. It's extremely sketchy all the time... and while you could argue his methold of half-assed drawing is "artistic," I could easily argue that mowing half the lawn is equally artistic. I think it's just that much worse that it became the art style associated with Final Fantasy... now you have a ridiculous number of "otaku" who think that Square Enix is the greatest developer ever just because they have Final Fantasy... nevermind that they have precious little else, and outside of a few key series, most of their stuff actually blows.