Bubblegum Crisis 2032

jwinges

Yeah I realize the change was made from 2032 but it looked retarded as pink. I've got nothing against the series...just trying to stir things up around here. I like the franchise and will definitely be buying the new toys. Still going to have to try watching the sub instead of the dub.

Hey! Nene is my favorite of the Knight Sabers. After all, she is a cute redhead.

nene.jpg

You really have got to watch the subtitled version of Bubblegum Crisis before you go and make assumptions that it is stupid. AnimEigo's crappy dub does this show an injustice. And when they dubbed the songs they committed the most vile of all treachery.

The original Bubblegum Crisis is possibly one of the best cyberpunk anime shows from the 80's you will ever run across.

Part of the problem might be Bubblegum Crisis and in its place in anime fan history. In the UK, for example, where I've always had the impression that BGC is pretty highly regarded, at one point it was just about the only example of properly subbed anime around - not just a subbed anime, the subbed anime. 

I remember at that time Animeigo were releasing it, along with Urusei Yatsura. Urusei Yatsura was also subbed, remember. Those tapes were awful hard to find, though...

Anyway, I never cared for the little I've seen of either series (both the original and '40), and anyway in my view phrases like "You get to burning" just sound silly.

But if I had to pick one, it would be the original, no contest. Sonoda all the way, baby. B))

Oh, I know Urusei Yatsura all right - my all-time favourite anime TV series. I know Anime Projects released them in the UK subtitled, but at the time I ordered my BGC tapes - at 21 ukp per single volume! - I'm not sure if they'd released UY yet.

Oh, while I think of it - one of the hardest lessons to learn about being an anime fan is that its okay not to like something. No, really. There is a difference between not liking a particular version of an anime, and not liking the anime full stop. Try the sub, and if you still don't like it, thats okay. Honestly.

Of course, if you don't like Urusei Yatsura, thats instant death. :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Oh, while I think of it - one of the hardest lessons to learn about being an anime fan is that its okay not to like something. No, really. There is a difference between not liking a particular version of an anime, and not liking the anime full stop. Try the sub, and if you still don't like it, thats okay. Honestly.

BLASPHEMY!!!

We're talking about an anime way back when there was an anime-drought

maybe we have it good nowadays, finding our greatest addiction just around the

corner in large quantities

since 1995 it's ok to not like certain titles, but don't touch the classics!

:D

since 1995 it's ok to not like certain titles, but don't touch the classics!

I don't care what kind of ground rules get laid down. Nothing will stop me from hating the confused mess that is Cowboy Bebop.

I've never had a chance to see the original BGC, but I did enjoy Tokyo 2040. Though I prefer a little more closure in my endings.

From what I've been hearing of the original, I don't see how the two exist in the same continuity. Does Sylia just have a knack for finding people with the same names?

I've never had a chance to see the original BGC, but I did enjoy Tokyo 2040. Though I prefer a little more closure in my endings.

Better avoid the original series then. It was cancelled with about 5 episodes left, and the story definately leaves you hanging.

From what I've been hearing of the original, I don't see how the two exist in the same continuity. Does Sylia just have a knack for finding people with the same names?

They don't exist in the same continuity, seperate entities entirely.

Better avoid the original series then. It was cancelled with about 5 episodes left, and the story definately leaves you hanging.

Actually, I like how it just doesn't end. Given the stand-alone nature of the episodes, I liked how the format was with the original series. Although, it does leave me wanting more (As in, "So, what will the Knight Sabers encounter next?"), the ending of each episode leaves me satisfied.

Actually, I like how it just doesn't end. Given the stand-alone nature of the episodes, I liked how the format was with the original series. Although, it does leave me wanting more (As in, "So, what will the Knight Sabers encounter next?"), the ending of each episode leaves me satisfied.

Well said!

The original BGC had an interesting concept for its time.. instead of the whole show geared towards a definite ending, it has effectively standalone episodes which can be viewed separately. No story arc to follow through, etc. etc., at least for the front few episodes.

You can view it as a sort of Knight Saber Ops report, where you pull random missions for viewing. I sort of like this kind of format, maybe that's why I like Witch Hunter Robin too.

When BGC tried to go back to the traditional story arc (the Adama story arc, for example, in Crash), it breaks down fairly badly. It's not that BGC can't have a story arc (BGC2040 shows that it can), it's just that the original BGC wasn't written with that in mind.

I don't totally agree with that. The only episodes that are self contained are the first (if you only watch that one and no more), four, and the last one. Every other episode arcs with a later one at some point, excluding the last one. Without watching the first episode, the second won't make much sense, etc. I do wish more of the loose ends were tied up and the what if of the last 5 planned episodes. I still want to see You Know Who as a Knight Saber :)

Edited by halfan

The original BGC had an interesting concept for its time.. instead of the whole show geared towards a definite ending, it has effectively standalone episodes which can be viewed separately. No story arc to follow through, etc. etc., at least for the front few episodes.

You can view it as a sort of Knight Saber Ops report, where you pull random missions for viewing. I sort of like this kind of format, maybe that's why I like Witch Hunter Robin too.

When BGC tried to go back to the traditional story arc (the Adama story arc, for example, in Crash), it breaks down fairly badly. It's not that BGC can't have a story arc (BGC2040 shows that it can), it's just that the original BGC wasn't written with that in mind.

While the episodes are pretty self contained, and can be watched individually BGC does have an overall story arc, it just takes a break from it in episodes 4, 7, and 8.

The AD Police manga, and BGC episodes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 are all part of a larger storyline arc that was supposed to be resolved in the last five episodes, involving the relationship between Sylia and Mason/Largo.

I've heard that BGCrash was a heavily edited/condensed version of the original last five episodes, but to be honest I watch BGCrash episode 1 once and never had the stomach to finish the series.

While the episodes are pretty self contained, and can be watched individually BGC does have an overall story arc, it just takes a break from it in episodes 4, 7, and 8.

The AD Police manga, and BGC episodes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 are all part of a larger storyline arc that was supposed to be resolved in the last five episodes, involving the relationship between Sylia and Mason/Largo.

I've heard that BGCrash was a heavily edited/condensed version of the original last five episodes, but to be honest I watch BGCrash episode 1 once and never had the stomach to finish the series.

Yeah, I guess.. but by and large the pacing for BGC is pretty good, maybe that's why I liked it.

Or maybe that despite cramming a lot of action and stuff into an episode, we do see character development in the series. Sorta. :)

BGCrash, well.. yeah, I caught episode two, and it was.. hmm. campy, I guess. Maybe not the right word, but just not quite BGC-ish.

One bad thing about BGC was that it ended up being a arms-race, and that sort of broke the series.. I mean, after the Knight Sabers gotten satelite-busting equipment, it gets sort of unbelievable and the producers kept getting forced to come up with even bigger monsters.