Scientists vote 'Blade Runner' best sci-fi film.

UN Spacy

Was about 9 or 10 inches long, from Medicom.  Really not worth the price I bought or sold it for ($60...)

Is that the same one that MiM is selling for $499? :blink: I always knew they were overpriced, but damn.....

No, it is not the same as the MiM. Those are MUCH nicer - though I don't have one, the diecast one would be schweet...

Yeah, to be a spinner, it should have markings and the light right - the medicom car has neither. I can't compare the quality to the android hunter doll - never heard of it till now...

The "Android Hunter" was a semi-bootleg semi-unofficial way for a Japanese toy maker to make a Blade Runner Rick Deckard doll without having a license.

Most people think the doll is fugly, looking nothing like Harrison from the movie but for the money (or at least for the price that I got mine for) it was a decent doll of Blade Runner Deckard. There are supposedly lots of variants of this toy with several changes between them... don't ask me what they are are the one I own is the only one I have ever seen.

post-26-1093888900_thumb.jpg

Make sure you give him a Voight-Kampff...

Here is an interesting issue we can bat around like my cat with a yamato missle rack: Was Deckard a replicant?

If you watch the original 1982 edit you can almost assuredly say "No".

If you watch the directors cut you have to say a solid "Maybee".

What of the new unreleased Ridley Scott edit? Will Decard turn out to be Mr. Robotto or will he remain a confused human?

Ridles says yes because the original book said yes...

Deckard was NOT an android in the book. The androids in Electric Sheep were nothing like they are portrayed in the film. They are marginally human, and have zero empathy. At the end of Electric Sheep, Deckard kills the last of the androids and simply goes home to his bitchy wife.

Edited by bsu legato

Having never read the book I only know what others tell me... and everyone that has talked with me about BR in the past has said Deckard was a replicant in the book. I guess they didn't know either...

... and if I would read something other than a TV manual or Handgun Magazine I might know that wouldn't I? :p

I dunno, even in the original there was some pretty heavy hints that Deckard was in the closet replicant. Gaff says to him at the end, "You've done a MAN's job..."??????????? The glowing eyes in the kitchen. I think it's to the point a lot of people think he IS a replicant, and a lot of people DON'T think he is a replicant, so coming out and making a definite answer in the movie one way or the other will piss a lot of people off. By keeping it vague...it keeps the interest.

Well, since the DC and the original cut both use the same footage it's only natural that those clues pop up. But it's only the Unicorn dream that really ties the hints together. Otherwise, Gaff's lil origami is just a neat calling card that says "Gaff was here." The glowing eyes and the dialog might suggest that Deckard is possibly an android to an alert viewer, but it's not really concrete.

And Ridley Scott coming out and saying that Deckard is an android (at least in the DC) doesn't really spoil it for me, since the film itself still leaves the issue a little clouded. Heck, John carpenter has said that he thought MacReady was The Thing at the end of The Thing, but again the movie itself isn't explicit.

Edited by bsu legato

I lean towards the belief that Deckard was a replicant, makes things more interesting at the very least.

But speaking of merchanise that is Blade Runner but "not quite," how many here played the awesome Sega CD game "Snatcher." I really wish Konami would do a remake with the MGS engine, possibly cell shaded ::sigh::

post-26-1093935916.gif