help please

striderhiryu

hi, i am new in this forum and would like to know if is it OK to use a Gloss White spray can to paint a model.

i have used it in the past to paint some models landing gears, but i am planning to buy a hasegawa YF-19 and want to know if i can use it or will it damage the models surface and details since i know that the panel lines are a bit delicate.

i´ll apppreciate any help.

I'm currently using some Testors spray paint for my Hasegawa VF-1S kit, and it works great. My only warning is to ensure you have some distance from you and your subject, otherwise the pain goes on too thick, and it's a PITA to clean up and re-do. Otherwise, it's a cheaper alternative to buying an airbrush (just not as good...story of my life :) )

HTH

Sean

thanks fro the advise.

still a question. wich is the minimum distance i should have between the spray can and the model?

ugh. Not an easy answer as it depends on the part and the paint. I've found sucess in spraying about a foot away, two feet if it's a large part (or complete fuselage etc.) Anything under six inches though and you risk pooling the paint, which requires quick clean up, or some careful sanding.

HTH

Sean

I have painted with cans but I always do it on a sunny day in the wind outside.I hold cans about 1.5 feet away and I dont care about wasting the paint in the wind because if you do you will get it too thick let the mist go on light in coat.check the part after it sets.if you need to paint some missed spots read the repaint instructions, or usually I waited about 4 hours on a hot day 8 on a cool day. spray paint usually takes 4 days to fully cure in my book even though the can might read 15 minutes(thats fine for a metal pole but for a model i would be patient and let the paint get rock hard and permanent by giving it some days to cure.

Edited by geecie30

A couple of tips for using spray cans, since I have painted some gundams with Testors spray cans:

1- Before you spray, put the spray can in some warm water for a few minutes before hand. This makes the paint inside come out better, more even for spraying.

2- When you spray, always start spraying before the model in your stroke and go past the model in your stroke.

3- If you are going to use a gloss paint, prespray the part with a flat primer to give the surface tooth for the gloss paint to bite onto. The gloss paint will adhere to bare plastic if you do paint it that way, but it is much better for the gloss coat to have a surface that it can settle into better.

4- Do multiple coats, not one thick coat. Keep the can about a foot away and do a quick stroke. If the paint runs or puddles on the surface after your stroke, your stroke is too slow. Make it faster, and the first coat should be a dust coat, a coat that just gets paint on the surface, not trying to cover all the exposed area, with the next two coat being more solid.

thank guys for the tips, iwas checking some pieces i had of a broken 1/100 VF-19S kit made by bandai and painted the chest part first with model master F-15 gray as a primer and tehn used a can of flat white as indicaded by you and i let it dry. then i used artist oil for the panels and it looked nice. i think im gonna do the same for the 1/72 hasegawa i ordered. it should arrive at my home by monday and probably finish it within two days.

by the way since it´s my first time i build a hasegawa i noticed many use putty. could you recoemnd me any brand and tell me how to use it?. i´ll appreciate any advice on this matter.