Just bought the FAST pack VF-11B . . .

groucho

I just picked up the VF-11B w/FAST packs yesterday and I can't find a guide to applying the MANY decals that came with it. This is my first Macross Plus valk and I don't know them as well as the SDF Macross ones, so does anybody have a guide to applying the decals correctly?

I'm not quite sure but i think te decal sheets are genaric for all the mac + valks so i think the best thing to do would be to find some pics from the series and try to line them up with the decals you have .... sorry just an idea

Apart from UN Spacy symbols, I've never put any stickers on my Mplus valks. It's not just that I don't know where they go, but I haven't really seen that much detail on them, be it in the anime or in illustrations.

If anyone has pics (of the toy/ of the anime/ illustrations, whatever), please post. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Let me congratulate you on the purchase. The vf-11b is probably my second favorite Yamato valk so far. I have never had any problems with exploding hips either. However my favorite has been the YF-19. Just something about those Macross Plus valks. I would very much like to find a vf-19a though. Anyway I am not trying to start any flame wars or anything.

Congrats :D

I actually just got my VF 11B FP today and I'm in agreement that I love the thing, except that it came with no stickers or instruction book, but I've managed to transform it between modes and have some spare spacy logos I can put on it, lovely lookin' thing, but I can't decide if I should get the VF21 FP

I would. I think the YF21 looks awesome in battroid mode. When you rotate the forearms so the wrist guns are rotated closer to the outer side of the wrist and the shields are guarding both arms properly it kind of makes it look bulky and strong. Even though it looks a little fat in fighter mode (from a top view mainly but good in side view) I can apreciate battroid better from the front. Even though the chicken legs are long (like the classic zentreadi pods) the wide body and weapons gear on his arms balances it out overall.

Legs are floppy so don't expect too much poseability with how legs are positioned. It still looks cool though. Paint has begun to chip on a part of the leg on mine which is worrying. Fighter and Battroid are the only modes I will leave this in.

I've always liked the idea that the battroid mode combines 2 of my fave zentreadi mechs: the skinny legs of the battlepods, and the bulky round arms of the Qrau, with the bonus addition that the mech is a variable fighter instead of a giant non-transforming 'suit' for a macronised zentreadi.

The double gunpods and "alien queen" fanhead with skinny limbs give it a unique attitude like that of wierd bipedal insect as opposed to the more humanoid mechs with the usual robot head. Avoid trying to make it look kick-ass in guardian mode though. The legs are only just thick enough to provide balance to the rest of the toy (unlike zentreadi battle pods with fat ankles/feet) and this thing needs all the weight in the centre to keep it standing in this mode. The skinny feet look ok in the anime but they don't seem too practical for a toy of this weight imo. The toy is very sturdy and there are no delicate parts though so I don;t see this thing falling apart. The main problem is getting the legs to come out and go in, in fighter mode when transforming it, since there is just barely enough space for them to fit. The first time trying to transform it, I was worried the legs wouldn't fit properly.

You got to wonder how this thing would take off vertically in gerwalk mode. It doesn't seem like it would have an easy time.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I got really pissed off with my original YF-21 because the shoulder sliders kept breaking. Even the replacement parts I got from Yamato (they were free back in the good ol' days) broke.

I really hope they fixed these like they fixed the 11B's hips. Please tell me the FP version has shoulder sliders that will not snap.

Actually, don't. 'Cos if that's true then I have to spend money on yet another Yamato Valkyrie.

Actually, yeah, do tell me. ;)

The shoulder sliders are fine and I can say they are strong, but given this is my first M+ toy I have nothing to relate this to. I'd say they should be up to reasonable abuse with no sign of wear and tear though. I've tranformed it roughly about 10 times and really I don't see how these could snap off. (and this is considering that the arms that slide back and forth along this slider are quite stiff for me. Just make sure when you slide the arms to put a thumb on the front/back of the slider (depending on where you are transforming from/to) and an index finger on the arm's shoulder,.... and not just yanking the whole arm with your hand like you would as if pulling a rope! :-D

The only thing that worries me is the paint chipping on the legs of mine.

One thing I wish they included was the two little slots where the 2 gunpods sit on the leg armour piece in the mac + movie edition where you see Guld firing from in fighter mode - well, these don't open up. It would have been cool to just have covers that open up so people could see how the gunpods fire from underneath the plane when guld is firing them in fighter mode.

As it is, only half the gunpods nozzles seems exposed so it doesn't look very threatening for people who may think they are stuck covered up like that, instead of having that part of the armour open up. This is just fan nitpicking though.

Also another nitpick: not much detail on the gunpods imo. (and no dark panel lining here, like on the rest of the toy, better to do this yourself, same with putting some black lining on the edges of the extra landing gears and wheels to add definition. The landing gears look kind of plain with all that white thick paint and barely noticable detail when looking at medium distance.)

Now bring on the 1/48 yf19 yamato, you slackers :D

Hmm still deciding whether to get a vf11b fp. Are the legs as floppy as Yf21? The damn gerwalk is going to give me a heart attack if I leave it alone too long or wobble the desk.

FPs don't look too distorted when viewed from afar imo.

fp-fighter-compare.jpg

I suppose I can just pretend the lineart is distorted anime magic. Yeah that's it. :D

i mean, no way is the toy this skinny in battroid (shoulders are way far apart imo, the only negative point stopping me from wanting the current toy immediately):

vf-11-battroid.jpgbattroid-1-thumb.jpg

The Yamato VF-11b is way more stable in gerwalk and battloid than the YF-21. I modded mine and fixed the shoulder problem a bit, but the way I did it, unless you're careful, the arms can come off :) they just pop back in though. The wings are not on in that pic though, and the left shoulder is not all the way in.

10.jpg

Edited by Pat S

No, just the metal bar in the shoulder is cut down. It's hard to describe, there is a sway in the shoulder area added, but the arms can move in any way they normally could.

Edit: Ahh, let me look at it again because I've done other mods to it. It may be possible to do the shoulder one without the other mods, but I have to check.

Edited by Pat S

• 3 weeks later...

Finally caved in to get the vf11b w fp along with a Millia Qrau.

Like it more than yf21fp in terms of posability. Light, looks good enough for me, and great stiff joints click firmly into place. No more falling down and me fearing that the head laser is going to snap off when the thing hits the ground like with the yf21. heh

Bad news on my yf21 though. Massive paint chipping on the upper thigh as a result of the inside of the legarmour scrapping against this area. Now the paint is really starting to flake off as if a snake trying to shed its skin! (every transformation more paint is coming out. anyone else have this prob? In desperation I've had to put some clear sticky tape on areas where it is coming off to prevent further damage.)

Qrau: looks great but sometimes it falls back when it's not standing stright due to floppy hip joints. Better to pose this thing on a slope like a shoebox with one end resting slightly higher up than another and then having it lean forward. Glad this is all plastic. Not so worried any paint chips. Looks detailed on the inside. I wish the knees could bend more so the toy could crouch really low and bend it's legs up into its body to simulate fetal position it goes into when launching all its micromissiles. This is my main concern since the arms are so well articulated. If they could just add more articulation in the knees it would be much better and more poseable. I don't see why they couldn't since there is plenty of space.

nitpicks: Looks a little too glossy in normal light, like the thing has just been nicely polished and has never been through a battle, almost like a cg model. I almost expect it to make a cameo apearance in a toy story movie. :D

In the spirit of the 1/48 fp, they could have made each missile removable. /end nitpicks

..Now bring on the green ones from the tv series. (not so sure i will buy a max qrau since it is exactly the same as the red, unlike the slightly different-looking green one.)