Macross Zero, avi and DVD

mikeszekely

Mods, I'm sincerly sorry if this is OT or in the wrong forum.

Right now, I have two ways to watch Macross Zero. I can watch the avi files on my computer, wonderfully subbed by ANBU & AonE. I liked to do that, because I can understand what's going on. Or, I can pop the DVD into my DVD player... no subs at all with R2, or in my case, crappy subs that make little or no sense. But, the Dolby Digital on the DVDs sounds incredible on my DVD player, which I also like.

What I really want to know then... is it possible to rip the DVDs, splice in new subtitles, then reburn the DVDs? If so, what do I need, where can I find it, and how do I use it?

Only alternate route is to download DVDsub, and use your DVD rom drive (if you have one), track down a script, and watch your DVD on your computer. Or do it "old school," and print out a script to read while you're watching.

Personaly, I find the HK subs to be "adiquate" until something better comes along.

Personaly, I find the HK subs to be "adiquate" until something better comes along.

Bah! Those HK subs blow! Especially for episode 2 where they're all ill-timed! :rolleyes:

I didn't have an ill-timed problem with vol 2, though there do seem to be at least 2 different versions of each episode floating around. Having seen a fair share of HK subs now, I can honestly say that Zero's subs aren't that bad at all.

Bah! Those HK subs blow! Especially for episode 2 where they're all ill-timed! :rolleyes:

I didn't have an ill-timed problem with vol 2, though there do seem to be at least 2 different versions of each episode floating around. Having seen a fair share of HK subs now, I can honestly say that Zero's subs aren't that bad at all.

Well I must have the crappy one with the fine black lines that appear during certain sequences. And my brother's Yu-Gi-Oh! HK boots have better subs.

What I really want to know then... is it possible to rip the DVDs, splice in new subtitles, then reburn the DVDs? If so, what do I need, where can I find it, and how do I use it?

yes.

use dvdshrink (free, google for it as I don't remember the place) or similar soft to rip the dvd.

then tmegencode or similar soft to get the mpeg2 streams from the .vob-s.

finally I found a fun (but beta) soft called DVDLab 2.0, it can add up to 8 sound streams, 32 subtitle streams, can create menus , etc. (really good soft).

and use it to add the subs to the files.

finally burn out the finished product to dvd-(+)r(w) using Nero.

that's how I'd do it if I needed something like that.

but right now I'd rather wait for some *good* subbed dvd (HK or R1)

Yeah, but the problem is still, how do I get the subs out of the avi files?

Keith... I have no idea what version of the HK DVDs you got, but the ones I have, especially volume 2, are damn near unintelligable. I actually printed out episode summaries from mahq.net just so I'd have some idea of what was actually going on.

Many props have to out to the fansubbers (at least the ones that are cool about only distributing stuff that hasn't been licensed here yet), for investing their time to create subs of the calibur that they do. Companies like Bandai and what not should just pay the fansubbers and use their work when the license series here.

Yes, and it's already been done by one of our (former?) members.

I'm with you on this one, watching movies and anime on a computer moniter is lame. I'm the kind of guy who wants to sit back on the couch, remote in hand, and watch it on a home theatre system. If you want to save yourself the time of the ripping, subbing, and DVD burning process, you could always invest in a hacked xbox, they're great for watching divx movies and are also region free.

Many props have to out to the fansubbers (at least the ones that are cool about only distributing stuff that hasn't been licensed here yet), for investing their time to create subs of the calibur that they do. Companies like Bandai and what not should just pay the fansubbers and use their work when the license series here.

I think that would be pretty bad for the fansubbing community considering how they may get nasty lawsuits instead of a warm welcome. A slap to the face instead of a hand shake. :o

Many props have to out to the fansubbers (at least the ones that are cool about only distributing stuff that hasn't been licensed here yet), for investing their time to create subs of the calibur that they do.  Companies like Bandai and what not should just pay the fansubbers and use their work when the license series here.

I think that would be pretty bad for the fansubbing community considering how they may get nasty lawsuits instead of a warm welcome. A slap to the face instead of a hand shake. :o

Actually, I heard most of the big companies leave the fansubbers alone, as long as they stop distributing once the series is officially licensed. In fact, I heard that a lot of the companies actually use the fansubbers to see which series are generating the most interest as a way of deciding what to license.

Many props have to out to the fansubbers (at least the ones that are cool about only distributing stuff that hasn't been licensed here yet), for investing their time to create subs of the calibur that they do.  Companies like Bandai and what not should just pay the fansubbers and use their work when the license series here.

Actually, I heard most of the big companies leave the fansubbers alone, as long as they stop distributing once the series is officially licensed. In fact, I heard that a lot of the companies actually use the fansubbers to see which series are generating the most interest as a way of deciding what to license.

I know of that bit. Gundam SEED was droped by Anime Junkies when it was licensed and then Haro Haro picked up the last couple of episodes of the series. My friend who's a giant Gundam fan griped to me about that. :rolleyes:

I know of that bit. Gundam SEED was droped by Anime Junkies when it was licensed and then Haro Haro picked up the last couple of episodes of the series. My friend who's a giant Gundam fan griped to me about that. :rolleyes:

Haha...unfortunately Anime Junkies didn't stop immediately after they were warned by Bandai. It was only on their 3rd, 4th warning of legal action that they actually stopped. Besides, AJ subs were sucky and I prerefed A-kingdom/Haro2. What has your friend have to gripe about?

I know of that bit.  Gundam SEED was droped by Anime Junkies when it was licensed and then Haro Haro picked up the last couple of episodes of the series.  My friend who's a giant Gundam fan griped to me about that. :rolleyes:

Haha...unfortunately Anime Junkies didn't stop immediately after they were warned by Bandai. It was only on their 3rd, 4th warning of legal action that they actually stopped. Besides, AJ subs were sucky and I prerefed A-kingdom/Haro2. What has your friend have to gripe about?

Yeah, AJ subs were terrible! But then, by the last episodes those subs lost me with all those plots twists about Kira and Mwu along with Kruze. @_@ :rolleyes:

I know of that bit.  Gundam SEED was droped by Anime Junkies when it was licensed and then Haro Haro picked up the last couple of episodes of the series.  My friend who's a giant Gundam fan griped to me about that. :rolleyes:

The Anime-Kingdom/Haro² subtitles were all right for the most part, although they did have a few glaring flaws ("Pacific Alliance" instead of "Atlantic Federation"). Their episode 50 seemed shoddy in general, probably because they rushed to be the first group to put it out. For overall quality, the best subs were the ones from Seed Fansubs (Anime-Gundam/Shinseiki Illuminati/Aoshi), but they were extremely slow. Anime Junkies is just an all around terrible group. They were awful with Gundam SEED, they were awful with Getbackers, they were awful with Ghost in the Shell, and I would wager they were awful with everything else they ever touched. "Mass naked child events" really says it all.

I watched SEED raw, myself. Much of the plot was recycled from old shows anyway, so it wasn't too hard to follow. I watched the Seed Fansubs releases as they came out and also checked out Anikraze, Aone, and A-Kingdom/Haro² after those eps came out, too. I didn't actually watch AJ's SEED myself, but I heard all about it from people who did, and I've seen some of their other stuff, so I'm familiar with the quality (or lack thereof) of the fansubs they put out.