VF1 Strike Valk 1/48th recast

jadefalconguard

:) As the 'how to' might be closed down, I'll continue the build up here. You can find the old topic here.

Anyway, got the complete dio layed out and I'm on the way to finish the build up of the walls. I'm considering to add a roof but not sure about that one...yet

The VF1 there is to give you an idea of the size:

post-2689-1126559060_thumb.jpgpost-2689-1126559075_thumb.jpg

For your pleasure, detailshot of the door ;)

post-2689-1126559148_thumb.jpg

That looks damm good Jade :o . One thing ya should know ya posted that the Valkryie was a girl gaurding and patroling a satalitte station of some sort. So I dont want to to tell ya what to do but follow your own ideas of what it should be :rolleyes: . Take your time with the diorama B)) , I thought your Valk was going to turn out bad but hey look at it now : :) . Jade keep it up man ;) .

Edited by Dean

• 1 month later...

:( It's a full month I didn't work on the dio. Real live sometimes happens, but anyway, I've finally got some modelling time in :lol:

So far I've added the last main sheets and the 'floor covering' on the dio. The floor consists of packing material. I hope once painted it resembles an aircraft carrier's non skid plating :unsure:

Normally I'll be adding some details like piping, tie down hooks, etc. later on this weekend.

The VF1 hasn't been touch so far, but I've restored the front and back covering from the missile packs and should be ready to paint this weekend. Looks like I'm back in business :lol:

So please feel free to add comments on the dio, I'm not quit sure about it but it 'feels' like Macross to me.

Pic 1 : overview post-2689-1129238136_thumb.jpg

Pic 2 : floor coveringpost-2689-1129238215_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: Allright, next time I say "I'm back in business" get out the salt :unsure:

Anyway, I did some more work and started working on the tie down set.

First I started with denoting part of the dio where the VF1 is normally parked. I used a small strip of sheet styrene to get this done. It'll be painted in warning stripes (yellow black or a dark red).

Once this was done I started to draw out where the tie downs needed to come drilled the holes :

post-2689-1129929521_thumb.jpg

For those who haven't used this set, it quit straight forward : drill a hole, fill if necessary as the deck plate needs to fit flush, drop some white glue in and presto, you've got a tie down point. By using white glue you can fill gaps. Don't worry if it's not 100% perfect as the real thing also is very irregular.

Anyway, the sequence in pictures :

post-2689-1129929708_thumb.jpg post-2689-1129929744_thumb.jpg post-2689-1129929780_thumb.jpg post-2689-1129929835_thumb.jpg post-2689-1129929864_thumb.jpg

I guess looking at this isn't that exciting, but it's getting there, very slowly, but it's getting there. I'll hope to finish it up in time for the HobbyFan Contest :unsure:

Anyway, got a little sidekick. I'll post siome pics on the workbench treath :-)

Looks great so far. That would look great if you installed some floor lights shining up on the valk. Don't let all the tie downs get you down. I did a tiny flight deck on a destroyer once and it took me a week worth of work!

• 2 months later...

<_< Well after about what seems ages I finally have some time to show off the last additions to the diorama. The dio is completely painted using a preshading with black. After that a thinned neutral gray and overspray with a thinned medium gray finished off the walls.

post-2689-1136400568_thumb.jpg

The flight deck itself has been painted completely black and oversprayed with thinned german panzer grey in a very irregular pattern. After that several 'pools' of thinned black paint where handpainted on to receive a messy floor. The flash of my digital camera has overexposed these pools. In real live they don't show up this good :)

post-2689-1136400700_thumb.jpg

Later on I will be weathering the entire dio followed by a drybrush run to get a more intersting look then simple gray.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: HWR Welcome back, how was the beach.....

Anyway have a lot more work done....my PC crashed last weekend so I had plenty of time to work on the dio (main board fried :(<_< ). I'll hope to update next week.

Detailpainted and decalled the dio

Painted and weathered the support equipment

started on the figs themselves

anyway, great to see you back.

CU

• 1 month later...

<_< This one is going slow......real slow. :( But here are some progress pics after the complete dio got a wash and drybrush.

All equipment got preshaded, painted with yellow, got a dirty wash after decalling. I prob. gonna drybrush them with darkgrey and silver to get a worn look.

All figures got there basecoat and final coat. After this they'll receive detailpainting; styencils and wash. After that oil paints for the flesh tones.

So what do YOU think ? :p

post-2689-1141570557_thumb.jpg

post-2689-1141570654_thumb.jpg

Edited by jadefalconguard

• 2 weeks later...

:) Thanks for the feedback.

Small update. I'm sidetracked with a Zentradi battlepod I got off Evil Bay. But on topic of the VF1 dio I finally sat down and started working on Marian Dagmar. :huh:

To give you allready a small run down, Marian is 28years old, had a human father and a zentradi mother. Being a child of the first generation she first handed saw the effects of being a "mixed child".....

Ofcourse I don't need to mention she is drop dead beautifull :D

Anyway I cut off the feet part of the VF1 pilot, chopped of the legs of a pilot figure I had in my spare box and used the head of a female figure in the sparebox :o Watch it kiddo's this is pure horror :o

Anyway here are the before and after ;)

Before :post-2689-1142812420_thumb.jpg and After :post-2689-1142812444_thumb.jpg

Normally I'll be adding more details tomorrow but it's the kick off of 'lost' with a special so that could be a problem :ph34r:

Edit : don't mind the face yet....still need to give a base coat for the flesh tones ;)

• 4 weeks later...

@LTSO : thanks for the compliment. To be honest I'm not that versed in figure modelling. Shep Paine is one of the best builders around and I've got a few books of him. I also used the Verlinden way for the figures.

The pilot came out quite nice. Alas the figures from Hasegawa are not that detailed you can get a very realistic finish (not enoufh facial features to get shadows and not enough detail for the hair, eyes and eyebrows :( )

Anyway I'll post a group pic once all painting is done hopefully tonight :p

Small update. Group shots of the figures... I really have got no love for figurepainting <_< But I couldn't get this dio without them so here they are. Basicly all figures come from Hasegawa. Though I love the kits from Hase, there figures are really very basic as mentionend before. I talked to a guy in my old model club who has been painting figures for I don't know how long and his answer was straight forward : don't waste the paint. There are alternatives (pewter figures) but they cost around 15€ (around 20$) a piece :blink:

groupshot :post-2689-1144961925_thumb.jpg

Decalled up : post-2689-1144961938_thumb.jpg

Pilot and MP : post-2689-1144961950_thumb.jpg

Not the best in figure painting but they'll do. Still need to finish up on the small details like headsets, shoes etc. That'll be for later.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:lol: Finally got down and took some pics of the finished dio. I can't beliefe it took me nearly 1.5 years to completely finish this <_<

Anyway. I made a simple construction out of plexiglass and wood to get the dio boxed in. This way It's dustfree and safe for children (to an extend that is).

Anyway here are some finsihed pics hope you enjoy them. thanks for the suggestions, feedback and tips

General lay out :

post-2689-1156101380_thumb.jpg

Nose detail with tie down chains (the plexiglass reflects a bit) : post-2689-1156101441_thumb.jpg

Semi top view of the VF 1 :

post-2689-1156101481_thumb.jpg

Som filler for the back :

post-2689-1156101508_thumb.jpg

And ofcourse : lynn couldn't escape :

post-2689-1156101548_thumb.jpg

Hope you all enjoy it and thanks for the patience ;)