Lt.Col. Wm Kilgore's Surfboard from A.NOW

So it was my GF's birthday this past Friday, so we went wine tasting durring the day. My parents live in the Napa Valley so Wineries are really no big thing, especially since I was in High School all my buddies worked in tasting rooms and we got to steal wine. But she had never had a good time doing it so I took her. I figure the proper way to go wine tasting is to first go for taste (as in for good wine) then go for something exciting (since after a few glasses it all tastes the same anyway) So first we went to Cakebread. The best wine, and I love em because they support Arnold. So then we went on to Niebaum-Coppola, which is owned by Francis Ford Coppola.

He put some of the stuff from his movies in there, and even though I've seen it a bunch of times I figured you guys would get a kick out of it.

Kilgore's Surfboard from Apocalypse Now.

post-25-1088549360.jpg

Another angle with my beautiful face.

post-25-1088549600.jpg

This is the cage that they put Martin Sheen in (Capt. Willard) I am smirking because the man must be like 4'10 to fit in that thing.

post-25-1088549811.jpg

Here is the Godfather's desk

post-25-1088549967.jpg

Here is us going out after going wine tasting... You can see her enthusiasm for Apocalypse Now.

post-25-1088550072.jpg

nice! So you must know a lot about wine then huh? So if I ever need a wine question, I can ask you? ;):p:D:lol:

No not really, I know a little about women though.

I guess I know enough about wine to get by. But I am not an expert by any means. I mean any Cabernet or Pinot Noir (basically reds)will give me a headache so I usually stick to white if I am at an event where I must drink wine. I can drink Vodka like its water though.

nice! So you must know a lot about wine then huh? So if I ever need a wine question, I can ask you?  ;)  :p  :D  :lol:

I guess I know enough about wine to get by. But I am not an expert by any means. I mean any Cabernet or Pinot Noir (basically reds)will give me a headache so I usually stick to white if I am at an event where I must drink wine. I can drink Vodka like its water though.

hahaha. Ok, just wondering. I just need to know like what wine goes with what food, and what is good for dates. Stuff like that. That last point does involve women. Like what kinda wine will get the girl in my bed. :p:D:lol:

nice! So you must know a lot about wine then huh? So if I ever need a wine question, I can ask you?  ;)  :p  :D  :lol:

hahaha. Ok, just wondering. I just need to know like what wine goes with what food, and what is good for dates. Stuff like that. That last point does involve women. Like what kinda wine will get the girl in my bed. :p:D:lol:

Easiest rule to follow without getting too crazy...

Red wine with red meat. They are two strong flavors and compliment each other. Any other food drink white. If you drink red with like chicken or seafood you can't taste your food because the wine is so strong. This may be obvious to you, but you'd be surprised how many people I see order Cabernet with their Salmon. Yuck.

As the ultimate goal it to get some service for the WANG, you should stick to Chardonnay, or Sauvignon Blanc, not too strong an after taste, if you keep the conversation light and fun she will drink more than she will remember having drank.

nice! So you must know a lot about wine then huh? So if I ever need a wine question, I can ask you?  ;)   :p  :D  :lol:

Easiest rule to follow without getting too crazy...

Red wine with red meat. They are two strong flavors and compliment each other. Any other food drink white. If you drink red with like chicken or seafood you can't taste your food because the wine is so strong. This may be obvious to you, but you'd be surprised how many people I see order Cabernet with their Salmon. Yuck.

As the ultimate goal it to get some service for the WANG, you should stick to Chardonnay, or Sauvignon Blanc, not too strong an after taste, if you keep the conversation light and fun she will drink more than she will remember having drank.

haha!! good stuff!! Thanx!! :p:D:lol:

AAhh, they should all be like good ole Col Kilgore...

I read an article in Cigar Aficionado a few months back where they talked about Coppola's winery, but they didn't mention the mini prop museum.

Funny and completely non sensical bit of Coppola trivia? He spent most of the article talking about how much he hated the Godfather, and how much he loved that crap film that he did called "The Conversation".

AAhh, they should all be like good ole Col Kilgore...

I read an article in Cigar Aficionado a few months back where they talked about Coppola's winery, but they didn't mention the mini prop museum.

Funny and completely non sensical bit of Coppola trivia? He spent most of the article talking about how much he hated the Godfather, and how much he loved that crap film that he did called "The Conversation".

He is probably just trying to sell DVDs.

All of his oscars were there too. I probably should have taken a picture. Kinda weird, but I guess thats what you do when you have an ego. Coppola does go there ofter though. Like twice a week.

Hey cool....

ya really need to see Apocalypse Now: Redux to get the full effect of Martin Sheen's character stealing the board. ;)

EXTREEMLY good point!

If you haven't seen the Redux, the surfboard has little meaning. You need to see the Redux!!!!!

What a disappointment, a bunch of photos and none shows off AgentONE's legendary physique. :p

My avatar isn't enough!?

Well to tell you the truth I can't get enough of it either. Its just perfect.

What a disappointment, a bunch of photos and none shows off AgentONE's legendary physique. :p

Tell you what, I will post a new one when I get a tan after my Mediterranean trip this summer.

Wine tasting?!?

Apocalypse Now?!?

DAMMIT!

When did these two things get combined and no one told me?

Great, now I'll have to go out to Kalifornia again! :lol:

No doubt!

I read this and said, "Crap! Why do I live in a city where the best I can do is grab a 40-dog and visit Graceland?!?"

Still, Memphis has it's own charms.

Sounds fun, AgentONE. Now when is your infamous night vision Sex Tape coming out, you exhibitionist, you? :p

Bah, screw the Redux version of Apocolypse. A true film aficionado should track down the 5 hour workprint. It's out there. :D

Point me in the right direction... Where would I find THAT!!?

Ask, and ye shall receive.

See Dennis Hopper get killed via shotgun blast! See Martin Sheen stab a baby!! See the long lost fully uncut plantation scene and all of the footage shot with the Playboy bunnies!! Spend more time with Kurtz and enjoy his insane Manson-esque ramblings!!

This is the incredibly rare 5 1⁄2  hour Apocalypse Now!! Forget about the Redux, this is the real deal, the true, full-fledged vision of one of the greatest films ever made.

Taken from a rare workprint of the film, this one of a kind experience gives you a chance to see Coppola’s vision when it was still forming. This is not the polished, ready-made movie we are used to seeing. This is the rough around the edges, uncut first draft of a film that would go on to change the course of film making as we know it.

In many ways, this is almost a completely different movie, complete with some new characters, new events and new, gloomy fates for a few of the cast. Gone is the familiar Carmine Coppola score that sets the doom-like tone of the film, instead there are miscellaneous Doors songs used to fill in the blank sound spots. For fans of this film, this 2-disc set is a Godsend, a revelation of newfound importance and interest that only adds to the pleasure of watching Apocalypse Now in any form.

To me, the best part of the workprint is that you supposedly get nearly 30 minutes of raw, unedited footage of the helicopter attack.

See Dennis Hopper get killed via shotgun blast! See Martin Sheen stab a baby!! See the long lost fully uncut plantation scene and all of the footage shot with the Playboy bunnies!! Spend more time with Kurtz and enjoy his insane Manson-esque ramblings!!

This is the incredibly rare 5 1⁄2  hour Apocalypse Now!! Forget about the Redux, this is the real deal, the true, full-fledged vision of one of the greatest films ever made.

Taken from a rare workprint of the film, this one of a kind experience gives you a chance to see Coppola’s vision when it was still forming. This is not the polished, ready-made movie we are used to seeing. This is the rough around the edges, uncut first draft of a film that would go on to change the course of film making as we know it.

In many ways, this is almost a completely different movie, complete with some new characters, new events and new, gloomy fates for a few of the cast. Gone is the familiar Carmine Coppola score that sets the doom-like tone of the film, instead there are miscellaneous Doors songs used to fill in the blank sound spots. For fans of this film, this 2-disc set is a Godsend, a revelation of newfound importance and interest that only adds to the pleasure of watching Apocalypse Now in any form.

To me, the best part of the workprint is that you supposedly get nearly 30 minutes of raw, unedited footage of the helicopter attack.

WHOA!! the chopper attack RULED ASS!! I wonder how much more hardcore the workprint one is!! The helicopter commander is a crazy sunovabetch. THATS how you win wars fellas, with a crazy bastich like that.

Doors as the score is VERY intriguing,, must check this out!!

I ordered this workprint... Who has seen it?

I haven't, but I had once seen a lengthy review of it online....somewhere. I'll keep searching for it.

And as far as I know, no current versions of A Now contain the bombing of the Kurtz Compound, aka the "Milius" ending. The only place I've seen it was on a late night TV braodcast, many years ago.

I haven't, but I had once seen a lengthy review of it online....somewhere. I'll keep searching for it.

And as far as I know, no current versions of A Now contain the bombing of the Kurtz Compound, aka the "Milius" ending. The only place I've seen it was on a late night TV braodcast, many years ago.

JsA has that on tape.

In many ways, this is almost a completely different movie, complete with some new characters, new events and new, gloomy fates for a few of the cast. Gone is the familiar Carmine Coppola score that sets the doom-like tone of the film, instead there are miscellaneous Doors songs used to fill in the blank sound spots. ...

I liked that gloomy score. I hope it still has the same feel.

Yes, as a sadistic Apocalypse Now freak I have several cuts of the movie on both DVD and VHS. I have the workprint edition, three different releases on DVD and a horde of various edits on VHS. The strange thing is how different the movie becomes with each version... the whole drive and theme changes, the feel and the vibe drastically changes tones between certain cuts.

My notes on the Workprint edition:

Beware of this edition those of you who like a nice clean movie. This cut is very, very rough. Some scenes you remember no longer make sense and some new scenes get lost inside of longer cuts and several alternate takes. The pacing and tone of the workprint reflects Coppola's mind at the time of filming... shattered, fragmented. It is so long and so disjointed in spots that it requires several viewings to properly digest and interpret the new material and how it changes or distorts the "true" movie.

My notes on the destruction of the Kurtz compound:

This "ending" was in actuality the demo of the set that Coppola set cameras and filmed. He was told by the Phillipino government that he could not just leave that massive set intact on their land so during construction the set was designed to be demolished by explosive. Coppola had his crew wire it with enough charges to level a town and topped it off with a few flares, skybursts and fireworks to get a certain "look" from the footage. He was basically being an opportunist and shot the footage "just in case he might need it". After his umpteenth re-edit of the film he left it on the cutting room floor after deciding that it was not needed to end the story. For those looking for it, the footage is available in one alternate cut of the movie known as the "black" edit. This version of the movie eliminated a few scenes and changed the overall feel of the movie as well as adding in the compound airstrike at the end. This is not an official edit and was made by some guys who just found the footage and decided to chop the movie to make it work... kind of like those guys that re-edited the Phantom Menace to remove Jar Jar. Heck, in the black edit Chef survives! He is the one that calls in the airstrike! The only other place (other than the workprint edition) to find the footage is on the second DVD release in the special features section, it is listed as the "alternate ending" but all it is the retouched footage set to music.

Final notes on Apocalypse Now:

I myself find it so interesting how this movie continues to change and mutate itself. One version tells one story, another tells a different one and yet another shows you the madness behind the eyes of it's maker. If you just like to see stuff blow up and don't care for the plot buy the basic common release and leave Redux alone. If you want to see a twisted and alternate view of the film, a view that changes the story and characters slightly, check out Redux. And if you are a total sicko addict like me that loves to see rough unused footage and revels in alternate takes, lost plot points, omitted story elements and other crazy stuff that will give you nightmares... check out the workprint. But like Dante said in the inferno, abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Edit to add some notes on Hearts of Darkness:

If you intend to get and watch the workprint, buy "Hearts of Darkness: the making of Apocalypse Now". It is almost required viewing to propperly digest and understand the workprint. The workprint and HoD are like peas and carrots, salt and pepper. Plus Hearts of Darkness adds even more footage and elements to the amorphodite image that is Apocalypse Now. After all, until you have seen the footage of Coppola with a pistol to his head threatening to "end the movie with him", Brando claiming the movie is out of control and predicting his own death and the footage of Marty Sheen having a heart attack and barely being revived you have not seen sheet. :p

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

Woah! Thanks for the comments on the workprint.

Funny thing about A.Now... I totally prefered the Redux because of its slightly disjointed nature. I mean its an insane movie, a movie about a man's mind that is being pulled in many directions. It shouldn't flow well.